shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade in original setting not possible--what to do with "extra" diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Over the weekend, I bought an upgrade diamond. My local jeweler had previously told me they could put the new stone in the old setting. However, after they took a look at the setting again, they said they no longer felt they could do it without compromising the pave on the shank. I now have a setting I love with a smaller diamond, and a gorgeous loose bigger diamond. I don''t plan on remaking the setting to fit the larger diamond because I''m not sure what my final dream size will be yet.

Does it make any sense to have two engagement-type settings, one with the setting I want and one with the diamond size I want? Any other options for getting the size I''m looking for?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about take your old setting and set a lovely colored stone like a sapphire in it and make a new setting for your new bigger diamond?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kcoursolle, I hadn''t thought about colored stones, so thanks for the idea! I appreciate it, and I''m open to any other ideas as well.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
I've been thru something similar with our jeweler before. Sometimes you wish you knew these things BEFORE you spend the money for a piece of jewelry.

Pretty much, if you don't reuse the setting with another stone, colored gemstone perhaps, you've basically got one other option.

Salvage the melee that you can for another project and scrap the metal from this setting. Which really doesn't get you much back in the long run.

Maybe a nice, colored gemstone RHR will be just what the Doctor ordered!!
3.gif

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
hi! does that mean you have your ring as it was and the new diamond unmounted? if so, i would mount the new diamond in a new engagement style setting if my heart was set on a larger e-ring or have it mounted in a solitaire bangle or pendant. what size and style is your ring and the loose stone?

only you know how much you want the larger stone on your left or right ring finger. i think one can wear any style you like on either hand.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Finding_Neverland. I hadn''t thought about trying to reuse the melee either.

crown1, yes, my original ring is unchanged, and my new diamond is unmounted. Both stones are under a carat, but it''s a pretty large visual difference. The current ring is split-shank, which I wouldn''t wear with a wedding band. I had the thought that I could put the larger diamond into a ring that *could* be worn with a wedding band, and then I could have multiple options. However, three different rings for someone who''s not a jewelry person seems like a lot.
3.gif
Thanks for the idea of the solitaire bangle or pendant as well.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results