shape
carat
color
clarity

Unplated white gold for a solitaire

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Good morning!

I have just purchased my very first starter CBI, would anyone have insights into unplated white gold for a solitaire setting? I’ve seen a few wedding bands on here in unplated wg but no e-ring solitaires. My stone is an H and my wedding band is 18k yg half eternity. I like the mixed metal look, and I was thinking unplated wg might tone better with the yellow, and that the yg would rub off any rhodium plating when they are sat next to each other.

Thoughts?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds lovely!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I like the warmth in unplated gold and it might harmonize better with the h diamond. Honestly, wich a CBI, only a few folks will notice. All eyes on the diamond :)

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love unplated white gold and considered it for my last few projects, but I went with platinum instead.

I love the “whellow” look though.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Sholdt setting is 18k unplated white gold. Like @whitewave I also LOVE the whellow look! And a bonus is that it seems to really make a diamond pop & almost appear brighter/whiter.

9A481CC8-A553-4D80-9DEB-17CA082FC5CD.jpeg

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the video @the_mother_thing ! Something like that was exactly what I needed to see to confirm my decision,
It’s so beautiful! :love:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jsand You’re most welcome! :wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think @yssie may have some pics of unplated gold.

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
I think @yssie may have some pics of unplated gold.
I have seen those pics, they’re actually what first had me thinking of unplated wg! They must have been screenshotted as they’re all over the web now, on weddingbee and purseforum etc :lol-2:
I really wanted to see examples of it used for a solitaire too.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally have two jewellery “regrets” right now:
1. Choosing platinum instead of unplated WG for my U-prong eternity from WF, and
2. Choosing platinum instead of unplated WG for my EW Lily band.

I chose platinum for #1 because I’d just had studs set into platinum and I liked the idea of matching metals. I regret that choice because 18k WG is less malleable than platinum - platinum prongs will shift slightly to accommodate unexpected pressures, whereas WG will “bounce” back into place, and with a piece like a shared-prong eternity where stone tightness is a delicate balance of multiple prongs’ orientations WG’s tendency to deform elastically means stones are less likely to become loose over time.

I chose platinum for my Lily band because it matched my Margot e-ring. But the Lily style is feminine and vintage-y and I can’t help but think the “old lace” colour of Erika’s unplated WG would have spoken to the style so well :(sad Maybe one day I’ll cave and get a second band in unplated WG!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for this info @yssie
I’m definitely going down the unplated wg route! One question (and it probably comes across as a stupid one haha), can it be highly polished? I would assume so. But what makes me question this is most of what I’ve seen in unplated wg seems almost matte, and the brands that I have seen who offer it tend to do so in a brushed finish. I would prefer shiny!

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
My band is unplated WG and it has a shiny finish. The alloys used might differ slightly between the UK (mine) and US, but polishing isn't an issue because there isn't anything to rub away. IMG_20190806_182537467.jpg
Photo is platinum, unplated wg, 18ct yg

Edit: platinum, unplated wg, 18ct yg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for this info @yssie
I’m definitely going down the unplated wg route! One question (and it probably comes across as a stupid one haha), can it be highly polished? I would assume so. But what makes me question this is most of what I’ve seen in unplated wg seems almost matte, and the brands that I have seen who offer it tend to do so in a brushed finish. I would prefer shiny!

It can be finished however you want ::)

My old three-stone from WF was unplated WG finished to high polish:
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...s-here-2-7-three-stone-in-unplated-wg.144010/

Alloy information and more photos of several PSers’ unplated WG pieces in these threads:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/diamond-color-and-metal-options.191295/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/yoo-hoo-yssie-metal-question-for-you.192990/

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
E148B220-CDE7-4710-8A4B-7DF3754ED891.png
The setting is ready, unplated wg from Ritani. Which will soon hold my very first CBI! :mrgreen2:
I’m really liking the color (from what I can tell in this photo anyway!).
Thanks for everyone’s input here.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
IMG-4434.JPG

I personally love the way it looks, I can’t understand why it isn’t more commonly available. I looked at Ivy and Rose vintage rings, and one of the two e-ring options I narrowed down for my partner was unplated white gold (above). I still don’t know which one he got, hah! It was a lovely, warm colored gold but not yellow...it was almost like ivory and I had never seen unplated white gold in person before. It looked fabulous with a lower colored M diamond they matched it to specifically.

Alloys vary, so unplated it may look more warm or cool toned depending on the mixture and how much of what component is it in (e.g. palladium, silver, nickel, copper, gold, zinc...etc) It can look gray, light brown, cream colored, even faint pink. I ADORE it!

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think it looks great, congrats!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
IMG-4434.JPG

I personally love the way it looks, I can’t understand why it isn’t more commonly available. I looked at Ivy and Rose vintage rings, and one of the two e-ring options I narrowed down for my partner was unplated white gold (above). I still don’t know which one he got, hah! It was a lovely, warm colored gold but not yellow...it was almost like ivory and I had never seen unplated white gold in person before. It looked fabulous with a lower colored M diamond they matched it to specifically.

Alloys vary, so unplated it may look more warm or cool toned depending on the mixture and how much of what component is it in (e.g. palladium, silver, nickel, copper, gold, zinc...etc) It can look gray, light brown, cream colored, even faint pink. I ADORE it!
Thanks for sharing, I love this! From the picture of mine I’m very happy with the color. And it should be in my hands holding a sparkling cbi this week. Interested to know the alloy used, I know they all vary. Going to email Ritani right now and ask!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing, I love this! From the picture of mine I’m very happy with the color. And it should be in my hands holding a sparkling cbi this week. Interested to know the alloy used, I know they all vary. Going to email Ritani right now and ask!

I’d be curious to find out too! Congrats on your ring and I am excited to see more pics! =)2

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Just chatted online to a rep. It contains zinc, silver, palladium and copper. I did ask the %s but she didn’t know. Glad there’s no nickel, I’ve heard of people randomly developing nickel allergies out of nowhere.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Just chatted online to a rep. It contains zinc, silver, palladium and copper. I did ask the %s but she didn’t know. Glad there’s no nickel, I’ve heard of people randomly developing nickel allergies out of nowhere.

This is making me think I should do the same...I’m sensitive to nickel I believe, I’ve struggled with earrings especially, where I do really need 18k yellow gold... I guess I will have to find out! I’m impatiently waiting for the ring myself (and another one was in the running with a platinum setting)...so it might be overeager to be reaching out yet about alloys for a ring I may or may not ever own :lol-2::pray:

Your ring is LOVELY!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Omg it’s ready today, Melissa just sent me the pics!!
6547D55D-2F2A-4FD0-A277-84228816DCD1.jpeg
B5C73985-F388-4DAF-9F5F-1C115C9DF8B6.jpeg

Wowee! Beautiful and classic. The color of that wg is perfection with that stone!

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I love Ritani's knife edge setting. It's beautiful. Love the warmth too!

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
This is making me think I should do the same...I’m sensitive to nickel I believe, I’ve struggled with earrings especially, where I do really need 18k yellow gold... I guess I will have to find out! I’m impatiently waiting for the ring myself (and another one was in the running with a platinum setting)...so it might be overeager to be reaching out yet about alloys for a ring I may or may not ever own :lol-2::pray:

Your ring is LOVELY!

Do you have any idea when you’ll get it? The suspense would kill me!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any idea when you’ll get it? The suspense would kill me!

Believe you me...it IS killing me! :lol: I have no idea when, it truly could be any day now, or it could drag out for months...my bf is the sweetest man on god’s green earth, but I do suspect he is delighting a bit in the torture! :rolleyes: He has a strange sense of humor...

The ring he picked is somewhere in the house...it’s taken every fiber of my being not to look for it....but so far I’m resisting the temptation. :saint: Hopefully SOON, is all I can say...

When do do you get your lovely ring?

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
Believe you me...it IS killing me! :lol: I have no idea when, it truly could be any day now, or it could drag out for months...my bf is the sweetest man on god’s green earth, but I do suspect he is delighting a bit in the torture! :rolleyes: He has a strange sense of humor...

The ring he picked is somewhere in the house...it’s taken every fiber of my being not to look for it....but so far I’m resisting the temptation. :saint: Hopefully SOON, is all I can say...

When do do you get your lovely ring?

I have it now! :mrgreen2:
02D13717-68FF-4223-917D-A359DD530EE9.jpeg

Jsand

Shiny_Rock
So after having the ring for a day, I’m now going to have it rhodium plated :lol-2::lol-2:
I love the unplated wg in pictures and was so certain it was for me! But in most lights today I have really disliked how the color of this particular alloy looks on my pale skin. It definitely looks darker in real life, really similar to the color of the metal appliances in my kitchen!
Glad I tried it but it isn’t working on me. Sigh! But thank you all for the interesting discussion :D

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
So after having the ring for a day, I’m now going to have it rhodium plated :lol-2::lol-2:
I love the unplated wg in pictures and was so certain it was for me! But in most lights today I have really disliked how the color of this particular alloy looks on my pale skin. It definitely looks darker in real life, really similar to the color of the metal appliances in my kitchen!
Glad I tried it but it isn’t working on me. Sigh! But thank you all for the interesting discussion :D

More important that you love it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results