shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique: compliment or slight?

Unique: compliment or slight?

• I don''t know/care, show me the friggin results!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Slight/Insult

• I could never answer, it depends entirely on the context, who it''s coming from and the way they say

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just something I've wondered about lately. Personally, when I say that I find something to be 'unique' in style, I mean it as a compliment. I value things that are different, do not fit the mold, take a 'unique' approach.

So, when you read a statement such as "that is so unique," does it read as a compliment or as a slight/insult to you? (use that approach to answer the poll)

For typed responses (outside of the poll): when you use the term 'unique,' are you trying to communicate admiration or is it a diplomatic way of saying you're not crazy about something?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I think it can come across as either, so I make sure to be clearly enthusiastic and supportive when I use it to make sure my meaning isn''t misconstrued as a dig.
1.gif

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
I think it totally depends on the person and the context how its meant.

However, I''m a big believer in interpreting things however you feel is best, and I generally tend to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially on a forum, that they wouldn''t say anything unless they had something nice to say.
12.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, I never use that word as a descriptor because to me it IS an insult. Probably because I have an aunt who says it when she really means that she doesn''t care for something.
2.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Depends on the situation. If a person calls ME unique, I would be offended unless they elaborated. Well, not really offended, just slightly miffed - why couldn''t they just call me awesome?
9.gif

If it was to describe a thing, then it can be taken well, depending on the tone. If it comes off as sarcastic, well, then I just think you''re a jerk.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:57:24 PM
Author: monarch64
Honestly, I never use that word as a descriptor because to me it IS an insult. Probably because I have an aunt who says it when she really means that she doesn''t care for something.
2.gif
I''ve been hearing this from people more and more lately, and it does make me feel quite guilty because that''s a word I often use (when it''s true so that I can, of course). I should make a point to always follow up with an "I mean that as a huge compliment, btw."

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
Usually, I would find it a compliment. I''ve always been a little bit "offbeat" and girlier than most of my friends. They would usually describe me as a unique person. But, I''m sure in the right context it could certainly hurt my feelings.

blackpolkadot

Shiny_Rock
I think it depends on what else is said with it.

If someone said, "Well, it''s unique," I would think it was an insult.

But someone said,"It''s SO unique. I have never seen that before! etc," it sound like praise.

Of course, this is JMO.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I take it as a context thing. Some people say it and mean it in a negative way, others say it and mean it in a good way. I like to think that I am unique :) I like to think that others are unique in their own ways too :)

sammyj

Brilliant_Rock
Ooops...I answered the poll wrong. I answered that when I use the term ''unique,'' I mean it as a compliment. If I don''t have anything polite to say then I probably wouldn''t make any comment at all. Now, in terms of your poll, I agree with others who said that it depends on the person and context of the situation.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:59:56 PM
Author: blackpolkadot

If someone said, ''Well, it''s unique,'' I would think it was an insult.

But someone said,''It''s SO unique. I have never seen that before! etc,'' it sound like praise.

Of course, this is JMO.

Said it perfectly. Ditto.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:04:38 PM
Author: Elmorton

Date: 3/11/2009 4:59:56 PM
Author: blackpolkadot

If someone said, ''Well, it''s unique,'' I would think it was an insult.

But someone said,''It''s SO unique. I have never seen that before! etc,'' it sound like praise.

Of course, this is JMO.

Said it perfectly. Ditto.
Thritto.

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
I think I answered the poll wrong. Oops!

I put the "it depends" option because that''s when I hear it from other people.

When I use unique, it''s only for a compliment. I think I have trouble hiding my emotions so if I said it was unique when I didn''t like something, it would definitely show as an insult. So when I don''t like something, I usually just lie and say "that''s cool" or "that''s pretty" Still can''t hide my emotions but at least my words are nice.

Also, in my experience, the "good unique" is usually paired with another compliment. Ex. "How unique! I love the color!"

tlh

Ideal_Rock
I have a friend that calls all UGLY babies precious... so when she says it you nkow she is saying it is the ugliest thing she''s ever seen.

I''ll use it, and mean it in a good way... the way you would think... so I think anything goes it is in the way it is said.. and who is saying it.

Though I try to believe the best in everyone. If someone gives a compliment.. even if they are faking... I''ll take it. I don''t have to know they are faking.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
I agree...it's all in the way it is said and sometimes hard to interpret over the internet.

I try to be really clear if I ever say that and elaborate a bit such as saying "wow, that is so unique and beautiful". But if I see somebody's outfit on American Idol for example that I think is just weird, I might tell hubby "hmm, that's a unique outfit!". I wouldn't say it to somebody in that way though.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 4:53:04 PM
Author: gwendolyn
I think it can come across as either, so I make sure to be clearly enthusiastic and supportive when I use it to make sure my meaning isn''t misconstrued as a dig.
1.gif
DITTO.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:33:59 PM
Author: lucyandroger
I think I answered the poll wrong. Oops!

I put the ''it depends'' option because that''s when I hear it from other people.
Then you answered it correctly! I wanted to know what people thought when they heard it in the votes, and then posts about how they use it themselves. thanks for voting/posting!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
double post.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:42:55 PM
Author: FrekeChild
double post.
It''s ok, you''re welcome to double post whenever you want if you''re ditto-ing me.
3.gif
2.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:44:19 PM

double post.

It''s ok, you''re welcome to double post whenever you want if you''re ditto-ing me.
3.gif
2.gif
She meant it all the more strongly... she agrees with you so much, that she has to say it twice!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:46:54 PM
Author: musey

double post.

3.gif
2.gif

She meant it all the more strongly... she agrees with you so much, that she has to say it twice!
I see nothing wrong with this either.
12.gif
9.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Neither do I!
5.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:35:24 PM
Author: tlh
I have a friend that calls all UGLY babies precious... so when she says it you nkow she is saying it is the ugliest thing she''s ever seen.

I''ll use it, and mean it in a good way... the way you would think... so I think anything goes it is in the way it is said.. and who is saying it.

Though I try to believe the best in everyone. If someone gives a compliment.. even if they are faking... I''ll take it. I don''t have to know they are faking.

There is no such thing as an ugly baby
6.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
Hearing it from others, sometimes you can just tell it was being used in a negative way. Sometimes not. Depends on who said it. Although if I say ''unique,'' I mean it is just that, unique...in a good way.

If I don''t like, I won''t comment.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
double post.
3.gif
2.gif
Does that count as a double ditto?

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 6:06:56 PM
double post.
It's ok, you're welcome to double post whenever you want if you're ditto-ing me.
3.gif
2.gif
Does now!

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
If i use unique, i always make sure to follow up with an "i like it," if i mean it in a positive way. If i don''t like it and i''m pressed for a comment, i''ll just say unique but won''t follow up with anything.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 6:14:54 PM
Author: musey
Date: 3/11/2009 6:06:56 PM
double post.
3.gif
2.gif
Does now!
HUZZAH!!!!! (Like at Tournament of Kings!)

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I usually mean it as a compliment, but it can come across as either depending on tone/context.

As an aside, my favorite compliment/insult is definitely "Hey, nice face!" Cracks me up every time.
3.gif

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I voted that it depends on the situation and context. Sometimes when I say something is unique, I truly mean it as a compliment...but then sometimes I mean it sarcastically..It depends on how it''s delivered...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results