shape
carat
color
clarity

Union Diamond vs Since 1910 (Diamond Stud Earrings)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

whyhello

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody, I stumbled upon this website while doing some research on diamond stud earrings. I'm looking to buy diamond stud earrings for my girlfriend for Valentine's Day (she's been wanting a new pair ever since she lost one of the earrings of her old pair) and I was originally going to stop by my local mall and look at diamond earrings there but then I had a faint recollection of all the random negative things that I've heard regarding jewelers such as Kay's, Zale's, Gordon's, etc so I started looking around online and found Pricescope by chance.

From what I've seen, the majority of people here have questions regarding engagement rings and I wasn't able to find much regarding diamond earrings. I was looking through the featured dealers area of PS and settled on earrings from either Union Diamond and Since 1910, which both seem to be reputable and have positive reviews. I would like to have some of your opinions please regarding both the two companies and the following two earrings:

Union Diamond:

http://www.uniondiamond.com/jewelry/jewelry.php?action_type_id=2&item_id=351

$899

Metal Type: Platinum
Carat Weight: 0.50
Diamond Cut: Round
Diamond Color: Near Colorless (The website just states it as "Near Colorless" and from my understanding, this can range from G to J)
Diamond Clarity: SI (Doesn't specify SI1 or SI2)
Setting Type: (Four) Prong Set

Since 1910:

http://www.since1910.com/diamond-stud-earrings/-platrbcstud-p-408-carat-total-weight-0.5.aspx?P=768&Stid=1653577 (Under diamond quality, please choose "G color SI2 Clarity" from the dropdown menu)

$740 (plus tax since I'm in New York)

Diamond Cut: Round
Diamond Color: G
Diamond Clarity: SI2
Setting Type: Four Prong

Thanks in advance.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 8:30:41 PM
Author:whyhello
Hi everybody, I stumbled upon this website while doing some research on diamond stud earrings. I'm looking to buy diamond stud earrings for my girlfriend for Valentine's Day (she's been wanting a new pair ever since she lost one of the earrings of her old pair) and I was originally going to stop by my local mall and look at diamond earrings there but then I had a faint recollection of all the random negative things that I've heard regarding jewelers such as Kay's, Zale's, Gordon's, etc so I started looking around online and found Pricescope by chance.

From what I've seen, the majority of people here have questions regarding engagement rings and I wasn't able to find much regarding diamond earrings. I was looking through the featured dealers area of PS and settled on earrings from either Union Diamond and Since 1910, which both seem to be reputable and have positive reviews. I would like to have some of your opinions please regarding both the two companies and the following two earrings:

Union Diamond:

http://www.uniondiamond.com/jewelry/jewelry.php?action_type_id=2&item_id=351

$899

Diamond Color: Near Colorless
Diamond Clarity: SI
Setting Type: (Four) Prong Set

Since 1910:

http://www.since1910.com/diamond-stud-earrings/-platrbcstud-p-408-carat-total-weight-0.5.aspx?P=768&Stid=1653577 (Under diamond quality, please choose 'G color SI2 Clarity' from the dropdown menu)

$740 (plus tax since I'm in New York)

Diamond Color: G
Diamond Clarity: SI2
Setting Type: Four Prong

Thanks in advance.
...where's the cut info? Most people buy earrings with the same general info as engagement rings - there's just two diamonds to evaluate instead of one..

ETA: I should say, most PSers!

whyhello

Rough_Rock
Oh, sorry about that. If I understand correctly then I believe that both pairs are round cut diamond studs. I've edited the original post to add that in.

EDIT: Also, if anybody has any other recommendations for similar earrings (Round cut, 1/2 carat, platinum, four-prong, still fairly unfamiliar with color/clarity standards but I think H or better and SI1 or better should be alright) that would also be very much appreciated.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually meant the way the diamonds were cut - I just assumed they were round, which isn't a good thing to do!

You want diamonds that come with lab reports - GIA or AGS, or EGL USA. Those lab reports will give you info on the diamond's colour, clarity, and proportions (this is the most important bit!). These proportions are the diamond's 'cut', technically, rather than the shape - an Excellently or Ideally cut diamond will return more light to the viewer in front of the diamond and look bright, a poorly cut diamond will leak a lot of light out the back and be dull and dark.

For earrings - opinions vary, I'd happily go with J/K SI2, some prefer to stay in higher ranges. H SI is a very nice, safe compromise between budget and appearance
1.gif

whyhello

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 9:31:52 PM
Author: yssie
I actually meant the way the diamonds were cut - I just assumed they were round, which isn't a good thing to do!

You want diamonds that come with lab reports - GIA or AGS, or EGL USA. Those lab reports will give you info on the diamond's colour, clarity, and proportions (this is the most important bit!). These proportions are the diamond's 'cut', technically, rather than the shape - an Excellently or Ideally cut diamond will return more light to the viewer in front of the diamond and look bright, a poorly cut diamond will leak a lot of light out the back and be dull and dark.

For earrings - opinions vary, I'd happily go with J/K SI2, some prefer to stay in higher ranges. H SI is a very nice, safe compromise between budget and appearance
1.gif
Oh I see now. Thanks for the clarification. I don't seem to be able to find anything regarding the cut for either of earrings from their listings on the websites. I was thinking about calling both Union Diamond and Since 1910 tomorrow regarding the earrings (and now it looks like I should ask about the cut and lab reports). I did notice that for the Since 1910 earrings that they do have another one that has "GIA" in front of it (GIA E Color, VS2 Clarity, $1240) but for the one that I selected, it does not have "GIA" in it (which I assume means that it does not have a lab report?).

Any tips on what exactly I should ask about or look for regarding the cut/proportions?

I was also looking on Blue Nile and "created" a pair that was more expensive than the other two (which is why I went with the other two) but now that you mention it, they also give more information regarding the diamonds. The specifications are as follows (copied and pasted from the Blue Nile website):

Total Earring Price: $1122 (and supposedly 10% cashback)

Diamond 1
Grading Report: GIA
Carat weight: 0.26
Cut: Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: VS2
Depth %: 62.0
Table %: 55
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to Slightly
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 4.12 x 4.10 x 2.55 mm

Diamond 2
Depth %: 61.7
Girdle: Thick Medium
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.17 x 4.13 x 2.56 mm

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/8/2010 9:51:20 PM
Author: whyhello

Date: 2/8/2010 9:31:52 PM
I actually meant the way the diamonds were cut - I just assumed they were round, which isn''t a good thing to do!

You want diamonds that come with lab reports - GIA or AGS, or EGL USA. Those lab reports will give you info on the diamond''s colour, clarity, and proportions (this is the most important bit!). These proportions are the diamond''s ''cut'', technically, rather than the shape - an Excellently or Ideally cut diamond will return more light to the viewer in front of the diamond and look bright, a poorly cut diamond will leak a lot of light out the back and be dull and dark.

For earrings - opinions vary, I''d happily go with J/K SI2, some prefer to stay in higher ranges. H SI is a very nice, safe compromise between budget and appearance
1.gif
Oh I see now. Thanks for the clarification. I don''t seem to be able to find anything regarding the cut for either of earrings from their listings on the websites. I was thinking about calling both Union Diamond and Since 1910 tomorrow regarding the earrings (and now it looks like I should ask about the cut and lab reports). I did notice that for the Since 1910 earrings that they do have another one that has ''GIA'' in front of it (GIA E Color, VS2 Clarity, $1240) but for the one that I selected, it does not have ''GIA'' in it (which I assume means that it does not have a lab report?).

Any tips on what exactly I should ask about or look for regarding the cut/proportions?

I was also looking on Blue Nile and ''created'' a pair that was more expensive than the other two (which is why I went with the other two) but now that you mention it, they also give more information regarding the diamonds. The specifications are as follows (copied and pasted from the Blue Nile website):

Total Earring Price: $1122 (and supposedly 10% cashback)

Diamond 1
Depth %: 62.0
Girdle: Medium to Slightly
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 4.12 x 4.10 x 2.55 mm

Diamond 2
Depth %: 61.7
Girdle: Thick Medium
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 4.17 x 4.13 x 2.56 mm
C/P #1 34.5/41, #2 34/40.8
As safe as you can get without ISs
1.gif

whyhello

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/8/2010 10:30:38 PM

C/P #1 34.5/41, #2 34/40.8
As safe as you can get without ISs
1.gif
Thank you very much yssie for all of your help and quick replies. May I ask how that scale you used works? (I like to know the mechanics/theories behind just about anything and everything that I see =/) I'm assuming from your statement that the diamonds are fairly good.

I will contact Union Diamond and Since 1910 tomorrow morning and try to get some information regarding the cuts of their diamonds (and hope that you happen to be online to evaluate them
1.gif
)

Do you happen to have an opinion regarding the companies themselves (Union Diamond, Since 1910, Blue Nile) and not the diamonds? Since they are PS featured vendors, I feel like they are all pretty good but you never know...

I don't have much experience buying jewelry (aside from Tiffany & Co which I've learned is pretty expensive compared to alternatives).

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NP
1.gif

Lorelei posts a basic guide somewhere... I can''t for the life of me find it! (please use this as a general starting point only - it''s not meant to be a decisive set of rules, and beautiful stones can be found outside these proportions)

There''s also the HCA http://www.pricescope.com/cutadviser.asp
Elimination only-Under 2 is good, 0.5 is not better than 1.5, over 2 can also be good witht he right numbers/performance images (again, just a guideline, not a hard deadline!
1.gif
)

If you really want the mechanics of it all do some searches in the PS archives - plenty of good info (and tv-quality arguing) from the experts
11.gif

I bought my (0.9ctw) studs with the create-your-own on BN, had them appraised post-purchase and they came out wonderfully - BN has a very nice return policy, and there are beautiful stones in that massive inventory if you''re prepared to do a little weeding. I don''t have personal experience with the other two, but I''ve heard good things of UD.

ETA: found it - hope lorelei doesn''t mind me reproducing here:
Here is said cheat sheet you can use as a guide to help you AB, it should help you with depth, table etc!

depth - 60 - 62% - although my personal preference is to allow up to 62.4%
table - 54- 57%
crown angle - 34- 35 degrees
pavilion angle - 40.6- 41 degrees
girdle - avoid extremes, look for thin to slightly thick, thin to medium etc
polish and symmetry - very good and above

note - with crown and pavilion angles at the shallower ends ( CA 34- PA 40.6) and steeper ( CA 35- PA 41) check to make sure these angles complement in that particular diamond - eyeballs, Idealscope, trusted vendor input - check as appropriate!

whyhello

Rough_Rock
After looking at the HCA, I just realized that the C/P in your previous post may be referring to Crown / Pavilion. I can't seem to find the numbers from the Blue Nile website so I was wondering, how did you come up with those numbers? I thought it was some sort of scale with thich you were rating the diamonds (like 34.5 out of 41) but that doesn't seem to be the case.

ydiamonds

Rough_Rock
Since you''re looking at 0.50 ct total weight, if you want an easy way to buy ideal cut earrings without having to look at specs and certs, take a look at Brian Gavin Diamonds and Whiteflash. You can get Whiteflash''s Ready-Set-Go studs with ACA stones, and the Brian Gavin earrings are set with their Signature melees. No need to struggle with color or clarity either, just decide on your price point, then pick the setting and you''re done! If you don''t have to have platinum, white gold can save you some $. Both vendors are on the recommended list.

http://www.whiteflash.com/fine-jewelry/diamond_studs/1.htm

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond-jewelry/diamond-earrings/studs/

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey, I guess it does look like a grade when we write like that - 34 of 40... Oops!

BN will let you look at the actual certs - click the little diamond-picture icon that says GIA. I like ydiamonds'' idea even better though - can''t go wrong with presets from bgd/wf/good old gold (JA doesn''t have all the info on their preset studs but you could call in).. tell them your budget and have them find the right ones if you''re looking for something different.

whyhello

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend had an allergic reaction with a sterling silver ring once (it left a black mark where the ring was) which if I recall correctly is due to the nickel in the ring. However, she's doesn't have any allergic reaction to a sterling silver bracelet. They're both from Tiffany & Co so I'm guessing there's a reaction to the ring because it is in more direct and constant contact with her skin. Since she is allergic to nickel, I've stuck with platinum since then (aside from the bracelet). From what I know, most white gold has either nickel or palladium in it and I'd have to check if anything.

I will definately give Whiteflash, Brian Gavin, and Good Old Gold a look. Thanks.

EDIT: After taking a look, I think that 3-prong looks better than 4-prong so I'm stuck between:

Another pair from Union Diamond with similar specifications as the one in the original post with 3-prong instead of 4-prong ($999)
The Ready-to-Go from Whiteflash in Platinum [All it says is Color: H/I and Clarity:SI] ($895)
and the Build-Your-Own from Blue Nile ($1102)

If they were all of a similar price, I would probably choose the ones from Blue Nile (Just have a better feeling about them for some reason).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results