shape
carat
color
clarity

uninscribed gia certified stone.....?

mermi2015

Rough_Rock
I have recently made an online purchase of a gia certified diamond. Today I was informed by an agent the gia certified stone is actually uninscribed. I believe in his words he said that GIA may have forgotten to inscribe it, which doesn't happen too often. The agent also told me that this diamond can be send back to GIA for inscription. Should I be concerned at all? It just bothers me how GIA can make such a mistake. Has it ever happened to anyone else before? I have asked the diamond to be send to me for viewing before sending it off for inscription. Are there liability concerns handling a diamond with no inscription when it suppose to have one? Love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks for your time.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's not a mistake at all unless the grading report actually SAYS the girdle is incribed. That is an extra service. GIA grading does not automatically include an inscription.

Diamonds can be identified by their characteristics, especially clarity. I wouldn't personally care whether it is inscribed or not, unless the report says it is inscribed and it is not. You want the diamond to match what the report says.

mermi2015

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying. Where on the report does it say if it is inscribed? This one has a diamond dossier. It does have a inscription number on the report.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All stones with the dossier service are inscribed as part of the service. GIA is made up of humans and I suppose it's possible that they made an error but yes, the dealer should send it in and get it fixed. Are they SURE it's not there? Sometimes they're just hard to spot.

mermi2015

Rough_Rock
In addition, this diamond has a STRONG YELLOW FLUO. I understand the resale value of this kind of diamond is terrible. I honestly don't plan to sell it, so that doesn't bother me too much. What I do care is how STRONG YELLOW will influence the visual appearance of the diamond in everyday situation. Would you say under direct sunlight, given the diamond is graded a G color, it would at the most look like a I? So basically the STRONG YELLOW will bring down the color by two grades?

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The inscription is on the girdle.

mermi2015

Rough_Rock
Thanks Rocks for verifying. The diamond is already on its way to me. I will take it to a jeweler to verify in person as soon as it arrive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results