shape
carat
color
clarity

Unheated Sapphire Ring - Opinions please!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s too blurry on mobile but I’ll take a look tomorrow on my laptop. The design doesn’t look too antique to me so one of my clues is to see whether the diamonds are modern or antique cut. There are other sapphire details I can’t make out on my mobile tonight.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
It’s too blurry on mobile but I’ll take a look tomorrow on my laptop. The design doesn’t look too antique to me so one of my clues is to see whether the diamonds are modern or antique cut. There are other sapphire details I can’t make out on my mobile tonight.
P

Thank you!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Just going by looks as I have no idea if it is an antique at all (looks more vintage to me), it is a simply gorgeous ring. The seller does it disservice to compare it to Princess Di’s ring, it is much more beautiful than that ring, from the color and sparkle of the sapphire to the pleasing diamond halo.

I imagine that a 5 ct unheated trade ideal blue sapphire goes for upwards of $10,000? Look at this much less saturated stone Gemfix has priced at $9000:
https://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-11-1027

If that’s the going rate for blue sapphires these days and providing the GIA cert checks out, I think this is a good buy. You might not be able to replicate this ring for $12,000.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a find! Guess you purchased it; the auction has ended.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
No, I didn't purchase it yet! The auction simply ended. I think she had it listed before, too, and this is the 2nd time it's not sold. I'm contemplating offering her $11 for it?? I wanted to get professional opinions on it -- unheated for that price seems like a good buy compared to others of the same size I've seen. Just want to hear more opinions before I pull the trigger. I have been looking for FOREVER!

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Anyone else looking at this, the auction ended but you can still look at the original listing by the link I posted above and then click "view original listing".

I've dealt with this seller before on an emerald ring but I lost the bid on that one. I prefer sapphire anyway but she was very responsive and has 100% return policy.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Took a good close look at the listing this morning. The ring is definitely modern based on the diamond cuts. The sapphire has quite a few clarity issues but I’m not sure if they are eye visible nor the nature of the inclusions. I suppose the only way is to see it in person. The lighting seems overly bright, so the stone probably isn’t as bright blue in person. There’s many photos but they are basically the same angle so I can’t see crown height, girdle, condition of the shank and underside of the setting, etc.

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
I may be overly cautious or just flat out wrong, but does anyone else question if the GIA report is for that stone? It seems like the image on the report shows a stone with a slight window, and none of the images with the ring do. Now, maybe that's why most of the pics are from a similar angle like Chrono mentioned. It's just my gut says it's not the same stone.

LJsapphire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure but I think the video looks edited to add sparkle. :confused: I've seen apps that you can use to make even a non-sparkly thing sparkle.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Did you see the video? Scroll down to the bottom.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The seller also had a very similiar ring, almost same carat sapphire but a double halo of diamonds that sold on 2 Sept for $14,975 auction (if you search sold listings it comes up) so I’m not sure if she’ll accept an offer of $11,000 but there is never any harm in asking.

Anne111

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure but I think the video looks edited to add sparkle. :confused: I've seen apps that you can use to make even a non-sparkly thing sparkle.
Yep, been on trade show in Idaroberstein and sooo many new software trick-companies that basically re-make any gem or any gem in any ring ring out of thin air.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok so if the stone is the same as the GIA report, then the stone was taken out of the setting or the ring had a different stone (if claimed Victorian) because the report states loose stone.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering how they came up with 6.80cts....:lol-2: why they're adding the diamond weight to the sapphire weight...well...

Anyway nice stone, nice ring. Looks modern to me. Maybe its an "antique look"?

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Would it really matter if she took the stone out to get the lab report, to verify the stone? It’s more reliable than trying to test just the ring with the stone set in it. Right? Or am I missing something?

Also, the bottom of the listing reflects specific weight as to the sapphire and then the diamonds. I don’t think she’s trying to play tricks. She seems like a very decent person. I think I’m going to offer 12k.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would it really matter if she took the stone out to get the lab report, to verify the stone? It’s more reliable than trying to test just the ring with the stone set in it. Right? Or am I missing something?

Also, the bottom of the listing reflects specific weight as to the sapphire and then the diamonds. I don’t think she’s trying to play tricks. She seems like a very decent person. I think I’m going to offer 12k.

I'm not the buyer of the stone, I just found the total kinda odd. *shrugs* I usually see that on all diamond rings, or all (name your favorite rock) gemstone rings, but very seldom on a diamond plus sapphire (or name your favorite rock) ring. The title makes me think its a 6.80ct sapphire in there.

Around here "trust but verify" is the mantra. We can't tell you what to do with your money, all we can do is offer suggestions. How you spend is really up to you.

ChanterelleJ

Rough_Rock
Premium
I think it's a nice ring with a nice sapphire for a decent price.

But I doubt antique, too. And I also dislike vendors playing with ct vs cttw :evil:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

The thing about the ring is it is claimed as antique and a period jewelry, which is a different ballgame. Apart from being a jewelry, it is also a memento. For antique and period jewelry collectors, certain conditions affect price such as state of patina, hallmarks, restoration, and embellishments. Restoration and embellishments diminish the price so usually, it is with discernment whether one takes out the stone from setting or not unless repair is needed, as an antique piece being in the original condition has bearing. Also, Labs can accept mounted pieces with carat weight estimations.

I think members in this forum are wary not on the stone or jewelry quality but on issue of its representation. Say, the diamonds are not old cut, the video and photos looks highly edited, etc.

So I think if the seller is not-so-careful with the descriptions whether intentional or not, what other things are prone to misrepresentation? It can place doubts on the stone itself (evethough it might be great irl, who knows?) because other things do not add up.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for that explanation. I'm not stuck on having to have victorian/antique so much as I really like the ring and it's unheated -- would prefer not so eye-visible inclusions but until I see it in person, I really won't know. I see what you're saying though - if it's truly a Victorian piece, who is to say the original jewels weren't removed/replaced with something not from that era. It's not a deal breaker for me, but it does raise question as to representation.

I do know some history on this seller and don't believe she is out to con anyone or pull any fast ones, but perhaps her words could've been better in her descriptions. It seems she recorded videos and took photos of many of her pieces at the same time (wearing the same shirt/earrings, same nail polish) yet posted for sale on different occasions - which is fine - and many of the descriptions are the same "won't be missed from across the room" etc. It's obvious she used glitzy lighting to get all the sparkle too. Maybe she wasn't as careful as she should've been with descriptions. She has sent me other lighting videos and photos of other pieces, in the past, when requested - and I've asked for the same with this ring.

If it were you, and you were interested in the ring, what other questions would you have? I've asked her to clarify the era and information regarding the history of the ring.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Have you asked for a photo of the ring on her finger out in the sun or indirect sun? No fancy editing, just a cellphone photo like the type everyone shares here. I think that’s all you need to check if the sapphire looks cloudy or if the inclusions bother you. You have already verified that it is a real unheated sapphire and you don’t mind if it’s modern, now you just need to decide if you love it or not.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love it, the colour is stunning. But I would want videos in different lighting conditions -- such as on the back of someone's hand, under fluorescent lighting at night. I really don't know what to make out of the glitzy photo shoot lighting. It doesn't tell me much about how the stone is going to look in real life.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Not yet and I re-asked for natural lighting photos/video again this morning. I will share them when I get them! I almost purchased an emerald ring from her about 6-8? months ago and she was very responsive with outdoor photos and videos. So her not getting back to me quickly is a bit out of character. I didn't purchase the emerald because 1) I'm really longing for a sapphire and 2) MOHS scale -- I'd shatter an emerald because I'm a klutz.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The seller got back to me and I have video but can't seem to attach it. I feel like I've been looking for an eternity and this may very well be the ring I'm after! I've not been in a rush at all but it was disappointment after disappointment and I had all but given up. Stay tuned!

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I was so worried a lurker would buy this from under my nose but I was determined to not let it get away! The seller emailed several videos and :love::love:! That’s why I kept quiet. Lol. BUT, I won the bid! Reserve was $12540 and that’s what I got it for. I can’t wait to see it in person and hope I’m just as pleased. Great return policy but I don’t think I’ll need it!

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
9A0AE7F3-6C98-4413-BC46-AB1F55815569.jpeg 6C9C5DB0-54DF-4C6D-B126-400D54F925DC.jpeg 025E94EF-7A15-42D6-9227-91DFDBFFB46C.jpeg 1E90A383-36C6-4299-822D-B5113F0A5177.jpeg I don’t know why the video won’t load. Grr.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, congrats! That's a beautiful ring! :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results