shape
carat
color
clarity

Unheated Burma blue sapphire - AGL Prestige report help

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry for being MIA. I have been busy with babysitting my grandson and dealing with unexpected home repairs. Recently I found a really pretty unheated blue sapphire from Burma. It is royal blue under indoor lighting, but looks cornflower blue under sunlight. It weighs 4.55 carats and is round. The stone is very brilliant for a sapphire. I am not that familiar with AGL Prestige grading reports and I need some help from the experts here. The origin says "Classic Burma". The overall grade is "Excellent". The color grade is 2.5/80, 75% B/15% V/10% G; clarity LI 2; cutting very good 4. Do you consider this a good report for a sapphire? I like the stone, but due to the depth, it faces up smaller than ideal. The report is below. The report picture is not accurate as it is too dark. I have tried to take some pictures but cannot get the color right. The vendor pic is too violet here. It is more blue on my computer. The color in my blurry iphone picture is more accurate. Would appreciate your comments.

AN

burma_sapphire_agl_prestige_0.jpg

bs_vendor_1.jpg

bs1_img_1.jpg

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
More pictures.

bs_img_2890s.jpg

bs_img_9075s.jpg

bs_img_0.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
:love: :love:

What a beautiful gem!!!!

In my opinion "classic Burma" means that the orign is Burma and the color is the typical "burmese color" in trade.

Kashmir -> Burma -> Ceylon -> Thailand -> Australia

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful sapphire! Hard to figure how you could have done much better without spending tens of thousands (maybe you already did? =) ). I'm not sure what you mean by facing up "smaller than ideal" -- at 9 mm, that's a very good-sized stone. Colored stone dimensions don't have ideal proportions as diamonds do; they are cut however the lapidary determines will produce the best color, refraction, clarity (and sometimes to preserve weight), so measurements in similar cuts in different stones can vary greatly.

LI in an AGL report means Lightly Included. It's the next step from IF, I guess corresponding to VS. It means inclusions are not visible to the naked eye. "Classic Burma," as Marlow says, indicates that it is typical of sapphires found in Burma. This is the AGL explanation of their Origin reporting: "This reporting service provides a determination of the gemstone’s country-of-origin or provenance... Country-of-Origin services are commonly provided for ruby, sapphire, emerald, alexandrite, and a selection of other gem varieties."

I think you have a stunning sapphire. Congratulations! Do you have any setting ideas for it? I'd want to cuddle that stone even in my sleep.

--- Laurie

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Based on these values.

The color grade is 2.5/80, 75% B/15% V/10% G; clarity LI 2;

The color is borderline "excellent to very good" and the tone is "medium dark" - this is the 2.5/80 remark (color over tone).
There is 75% blue hue and 15% violet hue and 10% green hue. The tone is almost borderline very dark though, so that should be noted.

Its lightly included, so that's great.

I would contact Chris Smith of AGL to get his opinion on what he personally thinks of this color/quality for Burma sapphires. He's very helpful/knowledgeable, and a highly respected authority on colored gems, but most importantly, what do YOU think of the gem? Do you love it, or have you seen much better? Have you even seen it in person?

Kudos to you for obtaining a full prestige report on what is potentially a very valuable and expensive sapphire. :appl:

It should also be known that sapphires are typically cut deeper than other kinds of gems.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty! You found a beautiful and great sized stone.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you very much everyone for your comments. The sapphire came with a GIA and a basic Prestige origin report, but I asked for the full Prestige report with grading. Since I have not seen too many of these reports, I do not know how often a Burma sapphire is given the term "Classic", and how often a color stone gets color grade of 2.5 and overall grade of "Excellent". The tone of the stone is just about right. It is not too dark and it is a very bright stone. I saw it next to a Kashmir sapphire, and the color is as close as you can get without paying a fortune for the real thing. The Kashmir is more silky, but this sapphire is more brilliant. TL, thanks for the tip about contacting Christopher Smith. I will send him an email and see if he responses. I bought this stone on an impulse and I am not sure if I made a good or stupid choice. It is one of the prettiest sapphire I have ever seen. I have been under a lot of stress at home dealing with a sewage backup at my house caused by blockage of the city's main line outside my house. I just felt like rewarding myself with a pretty stone. When Richard Wise was having a retirement sale, I was lusting after the 3 carat and the 6 carat Sri Lanka sapphires. The 3 was smaller than what I want and the 6 was too expensive. Both of these did not go down to 50% off. Does anybody remember what he was asking for the 3 carat?

I took a few more photos this morning inside next to a sunlit window with my iphone. Some how, I can get an more accurate color with the iphone than with my Canon Powershot. I think I need to reset the white balance, but have forgotten how to do it.

I have not decided how to set the sapphire yet, but am working on a few ideas. I will post pictures later.

AN

bs_sun1.jpg

bs_sun2.jpg

bs_sun3.jpg

bs_shade_s.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
4,55 ct !! unheated!!! round !!! sapphire with super color!!!

A mistake?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that's a really special stone.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
It's an amazing sapphire.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
OMG now that is a delicious gem!! Wow!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AN,
That's a beautiful stone but again, I would see what Chris Smith says, or if you can get in touch with Richard Hughes, that would be great. I know that Burma has some gorgeous sapphires, and you just want to make sure you're buying a gem on caliber with the reputation of that region. Good luck, and sorry about the sewage backup. That sounds awful, but I would love to reward myself like that. :naughty:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Looks beautiful.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our sewers backed up last year and all I got was a messy basement! Your stone is to die for!!! Love it! :love: Can't wait to see how you set it. Please do not halo it!

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is such a gorgeous, gorgeous stone!!! I would want to keep it if it were my hands, but TL had some excellent advice re: making sure that it is not just excellent generally but also on par with what one would expect from a Burmese stone. That said... omg... just stunning, and I really hope that it's 'the one' for you once you finish dotting all your i's and crossing all your t's :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hey, I'll take a sewer backup if that's the reward! ONLY if that's the reward, can't think of anything except a stone that gorgeous that would be worth it. :mrgreen:

Please let us know what C. Smith says.

--- Laurie

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art Nouveau|1404579431|3707330 said:
Thank you very much everyone for your comments. The sapphire came with a GIA and a basic Prestige origin report, but I asked for the full Prestige report with grading. Since I have not seen too many of these reports, I do not know how often a Burma sapphire is given the term "Classic", and how often a color stone gets color grade of 2.5 and overall grade of "Excellent". The tone of the stone is just about right. It is not too dark and it is a very bright stone. I saw it next to a Kashmir sapphire, and the color is as close as you can get without paying a fortune for the real thing. The Kashmir is more silky, but this sapphire is more brilliant. TL, thanks for the tip about contacting Christopher Smith. I will send him an email and see if he responses.

HI:

If AGL provided a prestige report, is anyone who works for the lab able to comment outside the report? Isn't that biased and therefore diminishes the "a" reason for having another "independent assessment"?

JMHO, and of course, I am always happy to be wrong.

I sincerely hope you find the stone of your dreams.

cheers--Sharon

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1404684998|3707840 said:
Thank you very much everyone for your comments. The sapphire came with a GIA and a basic Prestige origin report, but I asked for the full Prestige report with grading. Since I have not seen too many of these reports, I do not know how often a Burma sapphire is given the term "Classic", and how often a color stone gets color grade of 2.5 and overall grade of "Excellent". The tone of the stone is just about right. It is not too dark and it is a very bright stone. I saw it next to a Kashmir sapphire, and the color is as close as you can get without paying a fortune for the real thing. The Kashmir is more silky, but this sapphire is more brilliant. TL, thanks for the tip about contacting Christopher Smith. I will send him an email and see if he responses.

HI:

If AGL provided a prestige report, is anyone who works for the lab able to comment outside the report? Isn't that biased and therefore diminishes the "a" reason for having another "independent assessment"?

I sincerely hope you find the stone of your dreams.

cheers--Sharon

The lab is unbiased because they're not the one selling the gem. Chris Smith is the head gemologist at AGL. They could care less if the gem was rated "Excellent," "Very Good" or other. They'll just provide scientific and unbiased information on the report they provided.

With this kind of gem, you're not going to get a better report than the full AGL Prestige report. They're not like other labs that use strange acronyms to describe gem color. They use scientific unbiased information to grade colored gems.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1404691447|3707904 said:

HI:

The lab is unbiased because they're not the one selling the gem. Chris Smith is the head gemologist at AGL. They could care less if the gem was rated "Excellent," "Very Good" or other. They'll just provide scientific and unbiased information on the report they provided.

With this kind of gem, you're not going to get a better report than the full AGL Prestige report. They're not like other labs that use strange acronyms to describe gem color. They use scientific unbiased information to grade colored gems.

Not begging an argument

Just a question, why email Mr. Smith "personally" (sorry, I am not on a first name basis) to ask what has already been published, verified, documented? If "they could care less", then there could be no "advantage" to soliciting advice outside what has been otherwise forwarded.

Given this is a consumer and therefore la earning forum, I welcome his and any other replies.

cheers--Sharon

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1404694519|3707924 said:
TL|1404691447|3707904 said:

HI:

Not begging an argument

Just a question, why email Mr. Smith "personally" (sorry, I am not on a first name basis) to ask what has already been published, verified, documented? If "they could care less", then there could be no "advantage" to soliciting advice outside what has been otherwise forwarded.

Given this is a consumer and therefore la earning forum, I welcome his and any other replies.

cheers--Sharon

I'm not arguing. Perhaps I didn't clarify myself properly. I was basically telling AN to email Christopher Smith if she had additional questions about the report. He is very helpful and honest, based on the discussions I've had with him via email before.

eastjavaman

Shiny_Rock
CMIIW, classic Burma would indicate trade term "Royal Blue" which is deeper vivid blue that is typical to come out of Burma, but your iphone picture is supercharging it bursting the blue out. I recently saw a Velvety Blue sapphire (lighter that what you have colorwise) around 20-30ct and the tag says $3,300,000.00. I can only imagine that it is the real Kashmir, but I was too coy to go inside the store, inquire, and try to put on the ring: too cheap for my blood, I keep repeating the phrase in my mind.
The rest of your pictures looks Royal blue colors, Depth is supposed to be deep enough to prevent window in a way, but of course, we all would rather have a big table, since more eye pleasing surface. :wacko:

Addition: The Kashmir that I saw looks sleepy and lack brilliance IMO.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BUY IT! BUY IT NOW!

Seriously, it's beautiful. It reminds me of my 1ct one - it has the exact same colour/glow. It's one of my "precious" gemstones. Don't pass it up.

Phew, I'm exhausted now! :lol:

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
LD: Thank you for your nice comments. It means a lot to me that you consider this a good quality sapphire. I bought the stone. I am usually a very careful buyer and takes a long time to make a decision. But this stone, I made up my mind on the spot. Just wish it faces up a little bigger, but I understand the depth is necessary to give it the color and prevent windowing.
eastjavaman: Thank you for your explanation. The sapphire does look royal blue unless it is under sunlight. The old Kashmir sapphire I saw was sleepy looking too. I can believe a 3.3 million price tag for a 20-30 ct stone. I recently saw some other Kashmir sappphires that look royal blue and do not have the typical cornflower blue color, and the price was $100,000+ per carat for a 3 to 6 carats stone.
I have sent a message to AGL. Would post if I get a reply.

I am trying to decide on a setting. Can't make up my mind yet whether I should go with a classic, like a 3-stone ring or cluster like the Princess Di ring, or more unusual. I also found a very delicate platinum vintage dome type pierced setting that may fit the stone. Would a sapphire like this look better in a more open setting to let more light through the stone? Would it look too dark if the pavilion is covered up? WIll post some setting pictures later.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous stone! Stunning blue! :love: Lucky girl, sort of make up a bit for the inconvenience of the last little while methinks.

The pierced ring sounds interesting, looking forward to pics. The only comment I have is to consider whether it needs a polish before setting. I'm looking at the first and third in your second bunch of pictures.

Congratulations :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art Nouveau|1404748388|3708185 said:
LD: Thank you for your nice comments. It means a lot to me that you consider this a good quality sapphire. I bought the stone. I am usually a very careful buyer and takes a long time to make a decision. But this stone, I made up my mind on the spot. Just wish it faces up a little bigger, but I understand the depth is necessary to give it the color and prevent windowing.
eastjavaman: Thank you for your explanation. The sapphire does look royal blue unless it is under sunlight. The old Kashmir sapphire I saw was sleepy looking too. I can believe a 3.3 million price tag for a 20-30 ct stone. I recently saw some other Kashmir sappphires that look royal blue and do not have the typical cornflower blue color, and the price was $100,000+ per carat for a 3 to 6 carats stone.
I have sent a message to AGL. Would post if I get a reply.

I am trying to decide on a setting. Can't make up my mind yet whether I should go with a classic, like a 3-stone ring or cluster like the Princess Di ring, or more unusual. I also found a very delicate platinum vintage dome type pierced setting that may fit the stone. Would a sapphire like this look better in a more open setting to let more light through the stone? Would it look too dark if the pavilion is covered up? WIll post some setting pictures later.

Please don't do the Princess Di/Kate ring. The sapphire in that is an abomination. Do something fresh and interesting BUT classic so you never get tired of it! So glad you've bought the stone. It's utterly beautiful. BTW mine is also much smaller than I would have wanted but hey, good things come in small packages! xxx

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
This is the vintage platinum pierced setting that I am considering. It is very delicate looking. Not sure if this would be considered Art Deco or Edwardian. The sapphire in it currently is very included. The size is approximately 9.2 to 9.6 mm. My stone is 9mm. Not sure if it would work. The dealer is willing to sell just the mounting to me. Another one that looks interesting is a new vintage inspired one by Sebastian Barier, the French jeweler who made asscher girl's beautiful ring. The vintage is my first choice if it works. Would the sapphire look too dark with a bezel. I am wondering if the stone can be bead set instead. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
AN

art_deco_setting.jpg

burma_sapphire_ad_setting.jpg

sebastien_barier-platinum-ring-b031.jpg

burma_sapphire_sb2.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art Nouveau|1404772321|3708452 said:
This is the vintage platinum pierced setting that I am considering. It is very delicate looking. Not sure if this would be considered Art Deco or Edwardian. The sapphire in it currently is very included. The size is approximately 9.2 to 9.6 mm. My stone is 9mm. Not sure if it would work. The dealer is willing to sell just the mounting to me. Another one that looks interesting is a new vintage inspired one by Sebastian Barier, the French jeweler who made asscher girl's beautiful ring. The vintage is my first choice if it works. Would the sapphire look too dark with a bezel. I am wondering if the stone can be bead set instead. Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.
AN

The first ring, while very nice workmanship, is a bit masculine looking to me. If you want to know if it will darken too much in a bezel, then I would wrap some aluminum foil around the girdle and leave the table and crown exposed, to make sure it didn't darken too much.

I like the second setting style very much. It's a bit more feminine.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
TL: Thank you for your comments and the tip about wrapping the girdle with aluminum foil. The shape of the vintage ring is a bit masculine, but it is actually a very delicate looking setting. I have not seen the Sebastian Barier ring in person. A smaller version may be available in San Francisco. I will have to go see it. If I like it, it has to be custom ordered. I will only do that if the stone does not have to be sent to France. I am exploring other options. Have not heard from AGL yet.
AN

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though there are air gaps in the side of the ring, they are very small so for the test, it is essentially a full bezel and I would foil the entire pavilion to see how much the sapphire darkens.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art Nouveau|1404834846|3708992 said:
TL: Thank you for your comments and the tip about wrapping the girdle with aluminum foil. The shape of the vintage ring is a bit masculine, but it is actually a very delicate looking setting. I have not seen the Sebastian Barier ring in person. A smaller version may be available in San Francisco. I will have to go see it. If I like it, it has to be custom ordered. I will only do that if the stone does not have to be sent to France. I am exploring other options. Have not heard from AGL yet.
AN

You're welcome AN.

Well, if you like that first ring, you should get it. You have impeccable taste, and I'm sure it will be beautiful, or any ring you get. ;))

But you must promise to post pictures of the finished piece. I'm sure it will be fit for royalty.

If you don't hear from AGL, then the email might not have gotten through. I suggest calling them and asking your questions. They are extremely helpful via telephone as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results