shape
carat
color
clarity

uncut diamonds questions

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mlmurph3

Rough_Rock
I am trying to learn a little more about uncut diamonds. Are all uncut diamonds cuttable? How can you tell what can and cannot be cut? When a diamond is cut, how much does it lose in the process (Say you have a 2 carat uncut diamond and had it cut... about how many carats would be left when you were done?) How muxh does it cost to have a diamond cut? Or if anyone could refer me to a something I can get this information from that would be great! Thanks!

VladL.

Rough_Rock
Hello. It`s about diamond cut. It depends on how havely included that diamond. How`s the colour is spread around the stone. It is also depends on the crystallographic shape of the stone. The best shape is Octahedron. You loose less material. But there also might be all different kinds of shapes. Dodecahedron, Cube, Trisdodecahedron ect. Usually, you loose about 40-50% of the material to get the best cut. But as I said before it also depends on the clarity of the stone. Maybe there will be a big and ugly inclusion that will desctroy the whole beauty of the stone. So, you need to get rid of it, and it means you will loose carate weight and you may loose money on it. But you may also get better clarity which will raise the price for your stone. Therefore, my advice for you. Before you cut your stone, you better take it to profesional gemmologist (just to be sure what you will get at the end after you cut your stone. Ask gemmologist. What`s the colour and clarity you may get after the stone cut) and then take the stone to the diamond cutter.
Good luck.
VladL.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results