shape
carat
color
clarity

Uncomfortable and embarrassed

stci

Ideal_Rock
It was the first time I decide to ask for something I want to a jeweler recognized here. I asked for a quotation.

The jewels was 2 tiny pair of diamond earrings. Was uncomfortable to ask cause I know they deal with big diamond everyday but I decide to do it anyway.

The lady was adorable and understand I'm french.

I received my quotation by email and look at the prices. Was a little high for me cause they need to custom one earring pair.

In hope to have little rebate, I said that I'm recommand by Pricescope. She don't seem to understand. I repeat and asked if there are special prices for Pser. She answered " Yes but only on big diamond, yours are too small". OMG!

Was embarrassed and feelling stupid! I would have liked to have never asked this question! Was a terrible moment.... ;(

I think I will never forget this moment of my life! I wanted to disappear.....

What do you think of this history? I had reason to be embarrassed or not?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
stci|1300246175|2872937 said:
It was the first time I decide to ask for something I want to a jeweler recognized here. I asked for a quotation.

The jewels was 2 tiny pair of diamond earrings. Was uncomfortable to ask cause I know they deal with big diamond everyday but I decide to do it anyway.

The lady was adorable and understand I'm french.

I received my quotation by email and look at the prices. Was a little high for me cause they need to custom one earring pair.

In hope to have little rebate, I said that I'm recommand by Pricescope. She don't seem to understand. I repeat and asked if there are special prices for Pser. She answered " Yes but only on big diamond, yours are too small". OMG!

Was embarrassed and feelling stupid! I would have liked to have never asked this question! Was a terrible moment.... ;(

I think I will never forget this moment of my life! I wanted to disappear.....

What do you think of this history? I had reason to be embarrassed or not?

oh my gosh! I think she should be embarrassed-not you! it was a totally reasonable question to ask, she could have replied in a different way. you should not feel bad for asking.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't think you should feel embarrassed stci. You asked a perfectly reasonable question. I wouldn't worry about it at all. You didn't do anything wrong.

eta: sig, you and I replied at the exact same time!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Nothing to be embarrassed about. It never hurts to ask if the price quoted is their best price or ask if they give discounts. The worst they can say is no. They know what they can and can't do on each piece, and I like to think if they could have they would. Also I think it is great that you asked. I see no reason to take the posted price of much anything seriously these days. Dont let sales people judge you and certainly don't buy things because of what you think they might think of you if you dont!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
There nothing to be embarrassed about. People have all sizes of diamonds for different reasons. I have a lovely 0.5ct stone that is my favorite because it is sentimental. I also have some loose 0.3ct stones. They are all beautiful to me, my larger one and my small ones. But you an not alone. One of my favorite vendors does not set melee (smaller stones). I asked for a quote on a project but they said they don't work with small stones. I understand and as a business they get to decide what types of projects they the work on.

But no need to be embarrassed. I like my small babies!

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
Don't be embarrassed! I am sure she didn't mean in anything by her comment. I think she probably just meant that discounts can only be taken off of items above a certain price-point.

mrscushion

Ideal_Rock
You shouldn't be embarrassed at all! It never hurts to ask for a discount. It's the sales lady that should have chosen her words much more carefully.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Stci, I don't think you should be embarrassed at all. That lady was very rude.

On another note, I didn't realise that local jewelers offer pricescope discounts. Is that common? It never occurred to me to ask!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh Stci, you have no reason to be embarrassed at all! You did nothing wrong and definitely had nothing to lose by asking. Please don't feel badly about that! I am sorry she made you feel uncomfortable. Big hug to you!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hey, Stci, any of us would have asked too. It's a reasonable question. So she said no, does that make any difference in your life? Non, vraiement, n'est-ce pas? She did phrase it badly, needs a charm course! As Iugurl said, she probably meant to say they discount at a certain price.

What you did is a lot smarter than if you hadn't asked & had missed a discount!

--- Laurie

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No stci...please dont feel embarrassed. When I ask these questions I sort of go into with the attitude it cant hurt to ask. All they
can say is "No". Dont attach any emotion to the answer. If they say "yes", then great otherwise you havent lost anything.
Please dont feel embarrassed.

I thought if a vendor gave a PS discount it didnt matter the size of the stone. I havent read on any of our vendor sites that
the stones must be atleast such-and-such size.

I say bravo to you for asking...and please dont feel bad. Asking for a discount is not all that unusal here in the US depending
on the item.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! That is so rude! I wouldn't be embarrassed, I'd be fuming :angryfire: But I'm a bit of a hot head :oops: It never hurts to ask and I"m sorry to hear that they made you feel badly about it :(sad

princesss

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1300266585|2873029 said:

On another note, I didn't realise that local jewelers offer pricescope discounts. Is that common? It never occurred to me to ask!

I think she went to a PS vendor, not a local jeweler.

Stci, don't feel embarassed! We've all asked for things and been turned down before - just keep on moving. If you feel the vendor was rude, take your business somewhere else. Piece of cake!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
stci|1300246175|2872937 said:
She answered " Yes but only on big diamond, yours are too small". OMG!
These were her exact words? She didn't say something to the effect of "yes, but only on diamonds above one carat." or something like that? I'm asking because I believe my phrasing is much more professional :praise:

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Never feel uncomfortable asking for a discount. I do practically all the time and if the salesperson cannot offer one I ask to speak to the manager/owner. I even ask for samples before I buy (cosmetics, food, etc.) Companies want your business and giving you 5 or 10% doesn't hurt their profits.

I bought a vacuum cleaner not too long ago and asked if there were any discounts or any particular times of year when it goes on sale. No discounts or sales, but I got 12 vacuum cleaner bags for free. That is my savings.

My friend was able to get me a Maytag washer and dryer for 45% off msrp. When they called to schedule the delivery, I was able to get them to wave the $70 delivery and set up free and are giving me 18 months of Afresh for 50% off.

So if you don't ask you don't know what they are willing to do for you.

I got my eyes checked yesterday and do not have insurance coverage for vision. They are gave me a free eye exam ($60) for purchasing the glasses I was also able to get $100 off another pair that I making into sunglasses and one year guarantee against breakage and scratches (they replace free of charge). DD got her glasses replaced for free twice in one year, one frames cracked, second time lenses scratched.

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Dont take it personally. This vendor just isn't the one for you to work with.

Also, as House Cat pointed out...how did she say it?

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
princesss|1300284735|2873131 said:

Stci, don't feel embarassed! We've all asked for things and been turned down before - just keep on moving. If you feel the vendor was rude, take your business somewhere else. Piece of cake!

Oh, I see. How do you find out whether someone is a PS vendor? Or, rather, how do you find out who the PS vendors are?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1300287976|2873174 said:

Oh, I see. How do you find out whether someone is a PS vendor? Or, rather, how do you find out who the PS vendors are?

You go to the "resources" tab at the top of this page (to the right of PS) and click that then featured vendors. Lists all the vendors. Some give PS discounts and others give wire transfer discounts. I don't know the procedure b/c the two times I ordered online, I paid by CC so I didn't get a discount.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
did she say yours were too small
or did she say "we only offer a discount on diamonds of x size or larger?
or did she say "we do not offer a discount on diamonds under x size?

personally, in any case, i wouldn't be upset or mortified. i learned long ago that nothing ventured is nothing gained. in fact, in assertiveness training class [yes, believe it or not these things were popular AND necessary AND i need to learn to be more assertive] it was pointed out that if you don't ask the question, the answer is "no" anyway but if you do ask the question you have the chance the answer will get you what you want.

you asked, that's the important thing!

MoZo

ps i would have taken my assertiveness a step further though and stated that the notice here at pricescope should be updated to reflect the accurate discount policy offered.....

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't be embarrassed but would be mad that a sales person said that! Not everyone here on PS has large diamonds and it is unfair to treat people differently! :(

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really don't think the vendor was that rude...what's wrong with calling a diamond small? I guess she could have phrased it a little differently, but I don't think what she said was that horrible.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a feeling that this is a language barrier issue. Would you post the exact quote from the vendor? Was it in an email? I don't think there's anythign to be embarrassed about. You asked if there was a discount ... they said "no" on some particular items. Each vendor can make whatever rules they want. Not sure why this is such a big deal.

I think you are being over sensitive and dramatic about it, personally.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1300292380|2873223 said:
I have a feeling that this is a language barrier issue. Would you post the exact quote from the vendor? Was it in an email? I don't think there's anythign to be embarrassed about. You asked if there was a discount ... they said "no" on some particular items. Each vendor can make whatever rules they want. Not sure why this is such a big deal.

I think you are being over sensitive and dramatic about it, personally.

Ditto. Not sure why you're looking for sympathy over such a trivial issue.

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
MC|1300291040|2873208 said:

You go to the "resources" tab at the top of this page (to the right of PS) and click that then featured vendors. Lists all the vendors. Some give PS discounts and others give wire transfer discounts. I don't know the procedure b/c the two times I ordered online, I paid by CC so I didn't get a discount.

Thanks, MC; and sorry for threadjacking.

Edit: I just realised there's none in the UK anyway.

stci

Ideal_Rock
If I understand correctly, you doubt I said the truth? It's fun....

I present a situation where I feel embarrassed and many of you judge me cause you think I am a liar? It's fun.... thank you very much for your confidence.

I did not keep the email to prove I said the truth.

Forget about that does not matter. I prefer not to receive messages offensive to me. I am not a liar and although English is not my language of birth, I am still distinguish one thing from another.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1300295124|2873256 said:
MC|1300291040|2873208 said:

Thanks, MC; and sorry for threadjacking.

Edit: I just realised there's none in the UK anyway.

Blue Nile has a UK site. Not sure if they offer a PS discount though...

http://www.bluenile.co.uk/

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, MC. I didn't find anything on their UK site about PS discounts :(

Stci, please don't feel judged. I don't think anybody's calling you a liar. I think people were just referring to a language barrier.

stci

Ideal_Rock
I feel judge... and I'm sad.

It's not a language barrier issue. I'm sure about that....

Certain don't call me liar but my impression is they think I don't tell the truth... it's the same for me. :((

lucyandroger

Brilliant_Rock
stci|1300298170|2873312 said:
I feel judge... and I'm sad.

It's not a language barrier issue. I'm sure about that....

Certain don't call me liar but my impression is they think I don't tell the truth... it's the same for me. :((

stci,

I am sorry you are feeling sad.

I don't think what the other posters were saying is that you are not telling the truth. A lot of times people summarize a conversation rather than posting the exact wording. That is not lying, just making it easier to tell the story. But in a situation like this, a small change in wording can completely change the tone of the sentence.

A few people have asked if that is the exact response from the vendor because the sentence you wrote is not in proper English. If the vendor is a native English speaker, we would expect that the response would have been in proper english. So that is why people are questioning.

I hope that makes sense!

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Stci, I'm really sorry you feel embarassed. I'm sure the SA didn't mean to make you feel that way, and you might have felt particularly bad because you already felt embarassed to ask the question.

If it helps, she did say your stones were small, but you knew the stones were smallish. They're for earrings, not some honking ering that very few in the world can afford. I guess unless they generally offer discounts to PS'ers, they probably only make an exception for very large stones (and only when asked - which is why I Always ask, regardless of the size or potential for embarassment - who knows, right?).

I understand you feel bad, but I hope you won't and will continue to let the vendors know you're from PS. Afterall, it's these PS referrals that make this site so powerful. They should know where you're from.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results