shape
carat
color
clarity

Ultrasonic Cleaners

penskip

Rough_Rock
Can using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean a diamond make a feather inclusion (aka crack) worse?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nope. The stone goes through much worse abuse during the polishing process.

soontomarry2

Shiny_Rock
Is there any truth to the statement that "at home" ultrasonic cleaners are ok for E-rings with small halos stones because they are not as powerful as store ultrasonic cleaners and are therefore much less likely to loosen stones?

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I would avoid using an ultrasonic machine. I use Sparkle brand cleaner which is available on amazon.com. It comes out of a little bottle with a spray pump and it''s the best jewelry cleaner I have ever found. You can also get a steamer for at home use ("Jewel Jet"). They cost about $99.00 and well worth it. Ultrasonic cleaners are great for really dirty jewelry once a year but they definitely do loosen stones so I would only use one sparingly if at all.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/17/2010 12:04:38 PM
Author: Isabelle
Personally, I would avoid using an ultrasonic machine. I use Sparkle brand cleaner which is available on amazon.com. It comes out of a little bottle with a spray pump and it's the best jewelry cleaner I have ever found. You can also get a steamer for at home use ('Jewel Jet'). They cost about $99.00 and well worth it. Ultrasonic cleaners are great for really dirty jewelry once a year but they definitely do loosen stones so I would only use one sparingly if at all.
funny!...i've been using an US on my wife's jewelry for years now and it haven't loosen any stones yet.
9.gif

EHR2009

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve heard mixed reviews. I used to use my multiple times a day bc I heard that it won''t loosen stones that are well set to begin with. BUT...then I lost as stone in my shared prong eternity band (which I think was a consequence of the resizing that was done, so the jeweler replaced it for free). My jeweler told me that you really shouldn''t use an US more than once a year. I was in shock! I think I am still going to use it for my solitaire and my channel set, but not on my shared prong.

hunt7191

Rough_Rock
Don''t put a halo in the US cleaner. JA set my ER in the most amazing Danhov halo. Literally that night I was just so excited by the sparkles that I put it in my ultrasonic cleaner and lost a teensy tiny stone. They were so quick to fix it for me and told me not to clean it this way. I only let jewelry stores use steam on it and I use a toothbrush at home. Just noticed that you can buy home jewelry steam machines...on my wish list!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the US everyday!

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Anyone know what''s going on with Jewel Jet? Their site hasn''t stocked the product for a while and Frontgate no longer carries them. Was going to give some as gifts. Can anyone recommend a home steamer alternative?

soontomarry2

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 3:18:46 PM
Author: jgny
Anyone know what''s going on with Jewel Jet? Their site hasn''t stocked the product for a while and Frontgate no longer carries them. Was going to give some as gifts. Can anyone recommend a home steamer alternative?
What is a good at home steam cleaner?

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 8:08:18 AM
Author:penskip

Can using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean a diamond make a feather inclusion (aka crack) worse?
No it can't and if the crack doesn't break the surface there are few things than can make it worse it is still likely a durable diamond.

I use the ultrasonic and jewel jet regularly on my wife's jewelery. The high quality pave ring from ERD has never had a problem over a year with extensive cleaning with both. However pre PS I bought a very inexpensive 2ct pave heart with 1pt stones and we lost one stone (recovered in the US tank) and now just last night lost another one (again recovered from the tank). Our local jeweler puts them back in for us for free. We are both of the mind its better a stone comes out in a Ultrasonic where it can be recovered than elsewhere.

So I would say you could use the US and a jewel jet, you can get both in a package cheaply on ebay.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lost one stone and loosened 2 using my US every day. I quit using it. I soak my jewelry in a diluted windex mix and get our my Jewel Jet about once a month.

PavePrincess

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/17/2010 3:18:46 PM
Author: jgny

I just bought a jewel jet for my mom on ebay. I think I paid around $70. Well worth it!

crisnpearl

Rough_Rock
what about this:
1 part dishwashing detergent, 1 squint of ammonia, 7 part water
soak the ring in for 20 minutes then clean with a soft bristle toothbrush specially saved for ring cleaning. then rinse in clean water

i think it's worked well for me although i don't have pave on my ring. if you want to try this i'd suggest to use a really soft bristle and gentle brushing

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results