shape
carat
color
clarity

UK Retailer Advice

MJ98

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am buying an engagement ring but live too far away from a shop to go there. Therefore i am buying online and just trying to get Idealscope or ASET images to aid my decision. Here is how the price is broken down:

£650 - Ring
£1400 (Absolute Max) - Diamond

The diamond size i am looking at is in the range of 0.52 - 0.57 carats. Now the problem i have is that the dealer i am looking at can only give me one diamond in that range with an Idealscope image and i feel that diamond is pretty poorly priced. Now if i go to a different dealer to buy the diamond, the ring setting will cost an extra £150, which obviously means i have to reduce my diamonds requirements as a large chunk of my budget is taken.

In terms of the ring, i did a fair amount of research but it is the first one i saw and only this company offers that exact type. I have always come back to that same one so i don't think i can go to another shop and get the ring that i want.

I guess i'm just looking for some advice or suggestions really. I'm guessing i won't save £150 easily on diamond from a reputable UK retailer but also i can't find any dealers that provide decent imaging of smaller diamonds.

Just in case anyone is interested, i have included the search parameters i have been using for diamonds below

Cut: Excellent (Always GIA stones, but been looking for proportions that put it in the top AGS bracket)
Clarity: IF - SI1
Colour: D-G
Carat: 0.52 - 0.59
Symmetry: Excellent
Polish: Excellent

Thanks

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe you could post some pics of the ring design you like so we could offer some ideas? Have you looked at any online options?

MJ98

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your reply, I have posted the ring i have been looking at below. I know this is a *relatively* common modern design and there are lots of variations of it online, however the way this ring in particular has the 'flicks' at the end of the metal (which is specific to this ring) is its main draw. I don't tend to second guess myself too much as i haven't ever made a mistake with a jewellery purchase, so that's why i've been quite set on this one!

screen_shot_2017-01-21_at_17.png

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just interested which vendor in the UK supplied idealscope images? As it is a single mrb you could safely drop to H with the vast majority of people not seeing tint, to help with pricing

Fantspants

Rough_Rock
Looks like Stevenston.co.uk from googling the description

MJ98

Rough_Rock
Apologies for the delay in replying and thanks for the responses.

gm89uk / Fantspants - The retailer is Steven Stone, yes and it seems that due to the size i am looking at that was literally the only diamond they have detailed images and an IdealScope image for.

I will take on board the colour, however when searching i seem to be getting D-F's without trying as obviously this affects price less than other factors! If i drop the colour, i still tend to get much the same in terms of results.

Snowdrop13 - Thanks for looking, that ring is close yes. The diamonds i have been looking at have all been GIA certified, but i have been trying to match the proportions to AGS 'Ideal' cut standards.

I'll include the latest one i have been looking at, maybe someone could recommend if they think it's worth a look? I would have to buy it under their money-back guarantee to do this and find someone who will look for me as it seems to be an absolute pain getting an IdealScope in the UK!

Diamond specs:
Cut: Excellent (GIA)
Carat: 0.53
Colour: E
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 61.6%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 36
Pavilion Angle: 40.6
Girdle: Medium, faceted, 3.0%
Culet: None
Fluoro: Faint
Clarity Char: Cloud, Feather

Thanks

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the crown angle is a bit high but the diamond scores 1.8 on the HCA calculator so definitely worth a second look! And yes, it's hugely disappointing that things like ASETs are unheard of in the U.K., I feel your pain, believe me :wavey:

Have you looked at Cooldiamonds.com? There is one ring similar in design on their site, they might be able to work with you to get a nice stone.

MJ98

Rough_Rock
Yeah exactly my thoughts. I was concerned about the crown angle but the diamond *just* sits in the 'Ideal' AGS category and everything else seems pretty good. I think i'm going to see if they can hold it for me so i can make a decision about looking at it and will ask about the apparent 1/1000 chance they might have an IdealScope image for this if its new.

Out of interest, in a diamond like that which seems pretty well balanced except the crown angle, what negative aspect will this crown angle contribute? I'm assuming that the light will be returned at a slightly different angle, so will this affect a particular aspect most, e.g more fire, less brilliance? Or is too hard to give a definite answer to a question like this?

I will have a look at Cool Diamonds and see what they can do, thanks.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results