shape
carat
color
clarity

UK residents: anyone here ever live/spend considerable time in Newcastle?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I realize this is a complete shot in the dark as there aren''t (to my knowledge, anyway) that many UKers here, but the boyfriend and I are looking into moving to Newcastle (the one up north) in the late summer, before the school year starts (because I''m a teacher). We plan on going up to visit when this term is over (he''s been and really likes it, I''ve never been but like what I''ve read so far), but I was wondering if any of you have any personal experiences, impressions, or other inside knowledge that you''d be willing to share? Photos would also be welcome--it''s a nice-lookin'' place, from what I''ve found on the ''net.
1.gif

*crosses fingers that someone will reply*
3.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
...yeah, that''s what I thought.
7.gif

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
Ummm, I''ve never been there but I sure like Newcastle beer!!!

9.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hehehe, thanks, Erica!
3.gif
2.gif

I figured it would not turn up anything, but I thought it wouldn''t hurt to ask. Oh well!
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I live in Newcastle!!!!!!!!!!!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2008 7:34:36 AM
Author: Maisie
I live in Newcastle!!!!!!!!!!!!
Holy cow, do you really?!?!!
23.gif

Maisie, this is GREAT!!! *does a dance for joy* I can think of maybe 5 posters I know off the top of my head that are from the UK, so I felt like I was looking for a needle in a haystack, asking if anyone happened to live in Newcastle! YAY!!!!
36.gif

So! Do you mind telling me a bit about it, please?
9.gif

If you know anything about the job market, and anything about schools (I''m a teacher), and what neighborhoods to avoid or to seek out or any insider knowledge at ALL, that would be fantastic!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh I don''t know where to start!

I live just outside Newcastle in a village but I was brought up in the city itself. I have lived here my whole life (apart from 5 years when I lived abroad).

I love it here. Its got a large city centre which is great for shopping. There is also a very large out of town shopping centre in Gateshead which is about a 15 minute drive from where I live.

There are loads of nice areas, but equally loads of bad areas! It depends on what you have to spend really. Would you be buying or renting? I can give you some estate agents names if you need them.

The schools vary. There is a wonderful high school in Cramlington, just about ten minutes drive from Newcastle. I don''t know what age group you teach. If you let me know I can give you a better idea of good schools. There are also two Universities in town and some large colleges in the area too.

On the whole its a nice place to live. I won''t move away from here, (partly because my daughter is buried here, but also because I grew up here and I love it). The people are very friendly and there is a lot of nice countryside round us too.

The cost of living is a lot less here than in the south too. Another good reason to move here - although I think the wages here reflect this so you would probably take a drop in pay. The house prices and rental costs are cheaper here too.

The city has a great football team, you will find a lot of the men here are avid supporters! We also have a rugby team too, which is very popular.

The night life is very good here too. Lots of pubs and clubs in town. Some lovely restaurants too.

If you want anything specific let me know and if I don''t know, I can find out for you!
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
That''s GREAT, Maisie, thank you heaps!

First of all, I want to offer my condolences about your daughter. My heart sunk when I read that; I''m so very sorry.

Secondly, this may sound stupid, but I''m not sure what I teach! At home, I taught instrumental music (band/strings--my main instrument is percussion) at the secondary/college/university level for 8 years, and then switched to special needs at a primary school for 2 years. My bachelor''s degree is in instrumental music education, and I''m currently getting a master''s in special & inclusive education from Cambridge. I''d LOVE to work at a special school, but know there aren''t that many left, in which case I will probably go for a primary position, either as a music teacher or working with the really young kids (I love the 5 and 6 year olds!).

I think I will probably have to be paid as an unqualified teacher for the first year or two, while I earn my British qualifications, but I''m not sure. Either way, J and I won''t have tons of money to spend--we don''t want anything in a bad neighborhood (I did that once to save money and I do not want to do it again), but safe and decent at a modest price will probably be up our alley, at least to start with. We both are country folks at heart, loving the rolling hills, view of the water, etc. over being in any city centre. I don''t think we''ll be able to afford anything really pretty or nice in terms of housing at the start, but the less urban the area, the better! We''ll definitely be renting at first, and if you have any names to pass on of places to check for leases, that''d be great, as long as it isn''t too much trouble.
1.gif

I know it''s less expensive than the south (am in Cambridge, I know expensive!
14.gif
), which is one of the main draws--but don''t worry, I also know that pay is adjusted for cost of living (I checked out a reed.co.uk which gives comparative salaries in different regions, and looked at apartment rental prices at upmystreet.com). It''s close enough to J''s family (a 2-hour train ride) without being right next door, which I think will be good for both of us. It''s near the water, which I love, will have the amenities of the city but (hopefully?) in the suburbs not feel too urban.

This is GREAT!! Oh, Maisie, you are heaven-sent. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me with this!!
9.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey its no problem, I am glad to be useful!

I have a migraine just now, but I will come back and speak more once it clears a bit. I will have a look at whats available rental wise so you can get an idea of whats good round here
1.gif

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Maisie, I am sorry! Please rest up--this can wait for ages! Weeks, months even! Go lay down and I hope you feel better soon.
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am feeling a lot better today!

If you want to work in a Primary School I believe you have to be able to teach everything. I know thats the case in the school my children attend. If you want to focus on music you would need to teach secondary and high school.

House-wise, I will give you the areas to avoid and then some estate agents websites.

Don''t consider:

Benwell
Elswick
West Denton
North Kenton
Newbiggin Hall
East Garth
West Garth
Walker
Cowgate
Cruddas Park
Some parts of Fenham

Expensive areas include:

Darras Hall (Professional footballers live here!)
Ponteland (and here too!)
Chapel House
Chapel Park
Kingston Park (but there are some one bedroom flats which can be affordable)
Kenton Bank Foot

If you see an area that you are considering let me know and I can be more specific to whats there and what its like.

http://www.pattinson.co.uk/public/content/rent/Default.aspx

http://www.reedsrains.co.uk/

We have an excellent bus service and also a rail service called the Metro. Its reliable and means you could live outside the town where the rents are cheaper, and still be able to get to work if you don''t drive.

Here is a link for the stations on the Metro system. Again, shout me if you need any help.
1.gif

http://www.nexus.org.uk/wps/wcm/connect/Nexus/Metro/Metro+map/

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad you''re feeling better, Maisie!! I hope you don''t get migraines too often; they are nasty critters.

Thanks for all the info, especially about the primary school teachers! I get so confused, and sometimes pretty frustrated, trying to figure out what sorts of jobs I will be able to get in the UK, because everywhere seems to have a different way of doing things, and a different qualification scheme. There''s no steadfast rule, even just within one geographical region. But the more I learn, the better prepared I''ll be when it comes time to actually get a job, so thanks.
1.gif

The list of neighborhoods is GREAT!!! That''s exactly the kind of info I wanted, since when you''re looking through the ads you just have no idea what any of the locations are like! You rock, babe, thank you so much for taking the time to do this for me!
36.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I lived in Newcastle for a year - a very long time ago! My grandfather was a Geordie and my mother was born there.

It was a fab city, loads to do and great shopping - although be warned, they all speak with a very strange accent
28.gif
(Maisie never speaks to me again at this point!)

I had friends who rented in Benwell - which is more scary than West Belfast in 1991 ever was!

A lot of my friends rented in Jesmond - which was a great place, though is probably expensive now (Maisie will know).

It is one of the coldest places I know in the UK - but that might be because I was studying archaeology at the time and spent far too long on Hadrian''s Wall in the pouring rain!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/4/2008 3:48:15 PM
Author: Pandora II
I lived in Newcastle for a year - a very long time ago! My grandfather was a Geordie and my mother was born there.

It was a fab city, loads to do and great shopping - although be warned, they all speak with a very strange accent
28.gif
(Maisie never speaks to me again at this point!)

I had friends who rented in Benwell - which is more scary than West Belfast in 1991 ever was!

A lot of my friends rented in Jesmond - which was a great place, though is probably expensive now (Maisie will know).

It is one of the coldest places I know in the UK - but that might be because I was studying archaeology at the time and spent far too long on Hadrian''s Wall in the pouring rain!
Eeeh, ah divvent knaa what yer on aboot Pandora. Nowt wrang with wor accent!!
9.gif

Jesmond is lovely, its made up of two types of people..... posh doctors, lawyers etc.... and students! Its not cheap there but the students seem to manage. Mind you, they live on baked beans and beer and their parents help with the remainder of the rent!!

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, you too? TWO people here have lived in Newcastle?!! I feel like I''ve hit the jackpot!!
9.gif

I''m all too aware of the accent already--checked out the Wikipedia page which has a section on the accent and it kinda scares the pants off me. I have a hard enough time understanding the Yorkshire folks I know sometimes, but Geordie accents look downright terrifying!
32.gif
(only half kidding
3.gif
2.gif
)

This might sound stupid or touristy or what have you, but part of the attraction to Newcastle for me is that it''s close to Hadrian''s Wall (which absolutely fascinates me and I can''t WAIT to go and see it in person) and Scotland. Haven''t been there yet either, but I''m totally a mountain person so I''ll love Scotland, so that''s a bonus too. But I''m sure Newcastle on its own merits is just lovely!!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results