shape
carat
color
clarity

"Ugly" ring but pretty diamonds

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe not ugly but definitively not my style. Some people must find it pretty but all I can think of is that someone attached golden dumbo ears to the poor diamonds :oops: . Except för the dumbo ears the setting is quite pretty, I love the side view.

The diamonds predate the setting very noticeably. The OEC's have a yummy high crown and tiny tables and comparing that to the modern stone in the middle, it looks like the diamonds are trying to escape the setting.

Anyhow, I bought the ring for the diamonds. They are I color, eye clean SI,nice cut and 0,70ctw. They are pretty OEC that are well matched. Finding well matched old cuts is so hard, that's why I am so happy about these.

Planning to save these pretty diamonds from that setting and create wonderful diamond studs with them. I was thinking of doing milgrained bezels, close to the handmade ones from BGD and WF. Does anyone have their bezels? Are the comfy and sit well in the ear? I am a bit worried that the backs would make the stones tilt when on.

The stone in the middle is supposed to be a natural green spinel, but I have never seen a green spinel like this one before. The fotos are horrible, I took them with nearly no light and I don't understand the camera :oops: . In reality the stone is a very dark green when no light hits it but otherwise it's a crazy green light show. It's a true green, no blue or yellow, kinda like forest green. Does anyone know if what I describe is possible as a spinel?

Please excuse the bad photos.

natascha

Brilliant_Rock
Here is the other stone I bought. A 0.43ct transitional, H/I1. I kinda regret buying this one, it's a I1 and far away from eye clean. It as a big black carbon spot on the table. I bought it to make a matching pendant but I don't know what to do now. I figured that since it's a pendant I won't see it and nobody will be looking at it closely so what does it matter that it has a mayor doody since it is a really bright and flashy stone but what if it bothers me?. What would you guys do?

konring7.JPG

konring8.JPG

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your "Dumbo" comment made me :lol: :lol: :lol: I see Minnie Mouse's bow tie or a dog bone!

In all honesty, it actually looks cool on your hand, but you have "hand model" hands, so I bet EVERYTHING looks nice on them! :bigsmile:

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, I would put a ruby in the center, engrave Milo onto the inside of the shank and it would then be my mothers ring for my Baby - Milo! Looks like a bone to me :bigsmile:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkly Blonde|1315527293|3013103 said:
Oooh, I would put a ruby in the center, engrave Milo onto the inside of the shank and it would then be my mothers ring for my Baby - Milo! Looks like a bone to me :bigsmile:

Oh my gosh - is that Milo in your avatar???? LMAO!!! :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone alert me when they come across a fish shaped ring so I can have a mothers ring for MY baby!! :loopy:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, that ring looks to be from the 1940s. I hope if you do decide to remove the diamonds, that you preserve the setting and sell it to a jeweler or on ebay. There are many of us who love the old settings just as much as we love the old diamonds!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you weren't joking about the site having taken photos from the best angle! I like the setting from the side, but head on, it's a bit dated and large. But still, the OECs must have been well protected!

I love the high crowns on the stones - what a find you have!!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cute ring. I definitely see Dumbo ears, too. What did you end of doing with the setting and stones? Anything in the works yet?

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
wow, pretty diamonds, but yeah, that is actually probably one of the ugliest settings I've ever seen! yikes!
those stones will look lovely on your ears instead :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results