shape
carat
color
clarity

Ugh! Kay Jewelers Ring Box.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TwoPointSixFourCt

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased my future husbands wedding band from Kay Jewelers. I damaged the ring box and took it back to Kay''s to exchange it, not thinking this would be a big deal at all. The clerk was very nice, but she told be that I would have to fill out a credit card application in exchange for a new ring box. I thought this seemed ridiculous. Is there anywhere that I can purchase a Kay''s ring box or does anyone have one that they would like to sell?

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Try Ebay.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
That is very poor customer sevice! I would call the store back and ask to speak to the manager and explain the situation at hand.The original reciept and box should be enough to prove that you purchased the ring there and that you are not a security risk.The credit card application in exchange for another box sounds very stange to me and I bet that the sales person has to make a quota on applications...i would make a call to the manager.If this happened to me i would return the ring knowing that any future customer service would be a problem.Good Luck.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2008 11:44:59 AM
Author: jewelerman
That is very poor customer sevice! I would call the store back and ask to speak to the manager and explain the situation at hand.The original reciept and box should be enough to prove that you purchased the ring there and that you are not a security risk.The credit card application in exchange for another box sounds very stange to me and I bet that the sales person has to make a quota on applications...i would make a call to the manager.If this happened to me i would return the ring knowing that any future customer service would be a problem.Good Luck.
Ditto!

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2008 10:33:44 AM
Author:ChelseaL13
I recently purchased my future husbands wedding band from Kay Jewelers. I damaged the ring box and took it back to Kay''s to exchange it, not thinking this would be a big deal at all. The clerk was very nice, but she told be that I would have to fill out a credit card application in exchange for a new ring box. I thought this seemed ridiculous. Is there anywhere that I can purchase a Kay''s ring box or does anyone have one that they would like to sell?

snekay-a$$ clerk... they get kick backs by how many people they sign up for their stupid credit cards...

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Yup. They have quotas daily to open up new charge accounts. Our regional bank also has
daily quotas to open up new checking accounts. It''s corporate mania and it''s constant pressure
for these employees. I can''t believe that they would hold a ring box as ransom in exchange for a credit app!
20.gif

On second thought...

Jeff Averbook,GG
Graduate Gemologist since 1986
www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

lovehersomuch

Shiny_Rock
just get some generic box doesnt have to be kay jewelers..... there are even some custom boxes you can get online and keep has a keepsake.. add your own quotes to it...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is the stupidest attempt for an employee to meet their credit card quota I have ever heard. Not to mention that it''s despicable behavior and horrible customer service. I would totally return your husband''s wedding band and let the store manager know that not only will you never shop there or at any other Kay''s again, but that you''ll be sure to spread the word about your experience. Ridiculous.
38.gif

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
My fiance purchased my engagement ring from Kay''s. (I had nothing to do with it, he wanted to surprise me with a proposal). I have had nothing but problems with their customer service.

I took my ring in for a second rhodium plating 6 months after the first plating. They didn''t want to replate as it had been "too soon." I had to argue with them that it was in their policy before they agreed to send it out (for TWO weeks).

I am ignored in the store even when it is empty. Turnover at our Kay''s is so high I doubt I have seen the same person in their more than twice. Less than a month after the proposal he could tell I wasn''t 100% happy with the ring, and he inquired about returning. They told him (falsely) that he couldn''t return as it was financed. We know better now.

We refuse to give them any more of our business (even if we are eating the cost of this first ring) for these reasons and others. When I mentioned upgrading to my fiance I turned to the internet (and found pricescope!).

If you can, return the ring and find something similar elsewhere.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How rotten. I''d return the ring and buy it somewhere else.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I HATE it when they try to get you to sign up for a credit card! So annoying!!

mel047

Shiny_Rock
That sounds absolutely ridiculous! Glad I found PS and learned to be against mall jewelry stores!

That being said, here''s my feeble attempt to help:

BF bought me a necklace at Kay''s (pre-PS, in case you were concerned). At least I''m pretty sure he got it there, need to double check. If you''re serious about wanting the box, it''s all yours. My guess is that you could just swap out the necklace insert for a ring one? Really not sure if this is helpful at all or just silly, but if you''re serious, it''s all yours.
1.gif

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
That absolutely sucks. *hugs*

I am so glad you didn''t fill in their credit card app. I''m in the UK and don''t know the company - but that would put me off for life.

Why not buy a really special box for your big day, that you could even have engraved and keep forever as a special memento of your wedding?

Something like this, which is stunning:

http://cgi.ebay.com/STERLING-SILVER-EARRING-OR-ENGAGEMENT-RING-BOX_W0QQitemZ130208710799QQihZ003QQcategoryZ67687QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

x x x

kpj3

Rough_Rock
Speaking of Kay Jewelers, I recently had my diamond crack in HALF and fall out of my diamond channel wedding band. When I approached their salesperson in December (2 weeks ) before Christmas, I asked her to look at it and let me know the damage. Yes, you cracked it in half. Okay, there''s no damage to the ring and how did the diamond crack in half. I don''t know, but you cracked it in half. You must have hit it wrong. Am I to assume that diamonds just break in half? Well, to make a long story short, I have been corresponding with Kay Customer Service and we have the diamond warranty that if anything happens, they will replace it. Unbeknowst to my husband and I, every time we took it in to be cleaned, they never logged it and now it looks like we never took it in. So, I am responsible to pay to have the diamond replaced. Bah humbug on that!! I also got my e-ring from there and it was platinum and again unbeknowst to us, the platinum took on a shape of it''s own. Which I had to have them fix. They were not able to give me the information that I needed to find out why it changed shape until I did my research and went in and told them that I was ashamed of their customer service and the way they neglect to let their customers know that it was not a true platinum or even a 95/5, 90/10 or anything below that. All I got from the diamondologist was that platinum does that. Truly, if you need to purchase a ring, watch , bracelet or earrings which we have, do not go to Kay''s. Spend the extra time and go somewhere realiable.

But, my question is, do diamonds just crack in half? I''ve never heard of it and am really concerned that we got ripped off!! Thanks!!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
KPJ - if their warranty states that they will repair or replace the ring if anything happens to it (including accidental breakage), then you need to ensure that they uphold their responsibility to do this.

In thie first instance, speak to the store manager and explain politely, but firmly that your diamond has broken and that you require a repair/replacement under the terms of their warranty. If Kays failed to keep a correct record of the times you brought the ring in for cleaning, then that is their own lack of professionalism and is not your problem - and should not affect your warranty.

If you do not have any joy with the store manger, I suggest you contact head office in writing giving full details of when/where the ring was bought, when/where/how often the ring was taken in for cleaning (if you have this information), and the response you got when you spoke to the manager in store. Tell them that you require a repair/replacement under the terms of their warranty.

Unfortunately, yes, diamonds are actually very brittle and can crack if knocked. My ex-fiance had an e-ring with a small diamond (many, many, many years ago, pre-PS) which smashed into little bits wen he knocked it against a car window. Luckily, the store we bought it from was happy to give us a full refund & we went and bought something completely different and much better (with no diamond in!).

I have recently had a battle myself with the jeweller that set the diamond in my e-ring - which I won after a putting up a bit of a fight with them.

Stand your ground and insist that they uphold their warranty and I am sure you will eventually get a new diamond from them.

x x x

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2008 7:19:22 AM
Author: Cleo
KPJ - if their warranty states that they will repair or replace the ring if anything happens to it (including accidental breakage), then you need to ensure that they uphold their responsibility to do this.

In thie first instance, speak to the store manager and explain politely, but firmly that your diamond has broken and that you require a repair/replacement under the terms of their warranty. If Kays failed to keep a correct record of the times you brought the ring in for cleaning, then that is their own lack of professionalism and is not your problem - and should not affect your warranty.

If you do not have any joy with the store manger, I suggest you contact head office in writing giving full details of when/where the ring was bought, when/where/how often the ring was taken in for cleaning (if you have this information), and the response you got when you spoke to the manager in store. Tell them that you require a repair/replacement under the terms of their warranty.

Unfortunately, yes, diamonds are actually very brittle and can crack if knocked. My ex-fiance had an e-ring with a small diamond (many, many, many years ago, pre-PS) which smashed into little bits wen he knocked it against a car window. Luckily, the store we bought it from was happy to give us a full refund & we went and bought something completely different and much better (with no diamond in!).

I have recently had a battle myself with the jeweller that set the diamond in my e-ring - which I won after a putting up a bit of a fight with them.

Stand your ground and insist that they uphold their warranty and I am sure you will eventually get a new diamond from them.

x x x
Very sound advice Cleo -
KPJ3, I completely agree with everything cleo said and I too think you should not have to stand for this.
I''ve said this before on here, but it really irks me all the stories of consumers getting just plain ripped off by stores. I am the type that really doesn''t take bad customer service lying down - i understand that others can prefer to not "cause a scene", but when ur financial interest is at risk I believe its your responsibility to take a stand and not let them take advantage.
Sorry if I sound a bit preachy, its stories like yours that just really get my goat! I hope you can get a suitable response and have ur diamond replaced.
good luck!

kpj3

Rough_Rock
I just want to say thank you to Cleo and arjunajane for their responses. I am having an issue with customer service and I did give her a piece of my mind. So, let''s see what she comes back with. I feel that customer service has jumped off a cliff and has not come back. The warranty does state this and if I HAD to keep track of each time I went in to have my ring cleaned I would not have even bought the warranty. I THOUGHT that''s what they were for, but I guess not. That''s what happens when you assume that people do their jobs. That was one of my responses to the customer service rep about them not documenting that. I even went in with the paperwork and when we bought it in 1999, and every 6 months my husband went because he works near the mall. So, again it becomes our fault for their employess not imputing it in the computer. Unreal that they are trying to pass blame!! Unreal that they clean it ,hand it back and just go on their way, but I''m responsible for making sure they put that in the computer. Sorry for the sarcasm, but I get bent out of shape with people like that. Pass blame and move on!! Not my motto!!

Make it a good day if you can!!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh they sound horrid. I don''t understand how people with such bad customer service can stay in business so long.

JSM

Brilliant_Rock
kpj3, after reading your post I went back and looked at my own Kay Jewelers ''log'' - sure enough, even though I have brought my e-ring every 6 months for inspection AND rhodium plating, they only entered it in ONCE, not three times as it should be.

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention! I will be sure to take the ring in asap and get it recorded. I only wish I could return the ring and start the whole process over again.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is crazy that they would tell you that you have to apply for their card...for a box?! I would return the ring out of spite, that is terrible.

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
chelsea, any news as to what happened?

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/28/2008 5:49:01 AM
Author: Cleo
I am so glad you didn''t fill in their credit card app. I''m in the UK and don''t know the company - but that would put me off for life.

Kay is run by the same conglomerate that owns H. Samuel and Ernest Jones on your side of the pond. They''re one of the biggest retailers in the world.

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I find them annoying simply because of their commercials "Every kiss begins with Kay" UGH so annoying during EVERY holiday season!!

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
That''s interesting and useful to know Captain - thankyou!

I returned a £900 diamond bracelet to Ernest Jones (in my pre-PS days) for a refund. Out of the shop I could tell the diamonds were horrible... almost champagne in colour!

Nothing wrong with champagne diamonds... unless you are trying to buy white diamonds. Yuk.

x x x

Sapphire_Cutie

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/27/2008 10:33:44 AM
Author:ChelseaL13
ChelseaL13: I have a black velvet ring box from Kay''s. If you really want it I will mail it to you free of charge lol. They are being absolutly REDICULOUS! just let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results