shape
carat
color
clarity

Tycoon cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mcclellan

Rough_Rock
What do you guys think of the new Tycoon cut?

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
If you do a search (see the menu bar above), you may find some threads on the Tycoon cut.

Nets

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I am new to the forums but having been checking out pricescope threads frequently for the past while.

I have been searching for the perfect e-ring and I think I found it with the Tycoon cut. I also liked the Emerald but found it lacked the brilliance of other diamonds. I have seen a few Tycoon cut diamonds and love them! My boyfriend will soon (I hope) be picking "the one".

I am not diamond expert, but I thought the tycoon was stunning. I will post all the specs from the GIA certificate once we have them.

I noticed not much info can be found on the forums about the cut, anyone have any feedback/knowledge or personal experience with the Tycoon cut?
twirl.gif

kimong

Rough_Rock
Hi Nets, welcome to the world of new branded cuts... ie lotsa fustration cause not lotsa information! Well, all I can say is if you love the cut don't give up! Not sure if you know but the the company Tycoon owns the cut and only a few places sell them in each state/country, so they have the monopoly and hence you pay a premium. Website is www.tycooncut.com. But I guess all branded cut will have premiums.

You should also consider the Spring cut (www.springcut.com/content/) cause it looks the same (can someone tell me what the difference is??????), and the Criss cut, though not my fav (www.lili-diamonds.com/CrissCut.asp) (can't remember the website for the company who owns the cut... Christopher designs... something like that).

From what I've read on PS, all these cuts perform pretty well for rectangle fancy cuts. They also face up bigger cause they are not too deep, which is more bang for ya bucks!

I'm also looking for a tycoon/spring cut too but haven't been able to see a spring cut personally, so if you do PLEASE tell me the difference between the two and which is better?

Hope all this helps!

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I have fondled several Tycoon cut stones within the past year, and they are really stunning. They seem to have some fire that the emerald cuts lack, and are quite the conversation piece as people try to figure out what cut it is. I can't wait to see a picture of your rock. What size are you looking at?
10.gif

kimong

Rough_Rock
Oopps ...
rodent.gif
I mean, can someone tell the difference between the tycoon and spring cut EXCEPT for the cut corners of the spring cut. Or is that big enough a difference for two different companies to own separate trademarks??????

Nets

Rough_Rock
I'm so excited that a few of you replied! Well, one that I looked at was 1.04, but the measurements were great - I must admit the rock looked big (to my delight)!

Most recently, I saw one that was 1.22 carats and honestly I could not tell much difference in size by looking at it, this one was certainly deeper.

I have been unable to see a Spring cut in person, I live in Ontario Canada and no retailers in the area sell them - yet! However when I have mentioned the spring cut to jewellers, right away they try to show the radiant cut.

Anyhow from what I have seen on the internet, I find that the spring cut looks more busy (like the radiant in my personal opinion) while the Tycoon cut looks more well defined - you can actually see the diamond shaped table. It reminds me more of the emerald cut.

I will find pictures of both the Tycoon cut and the Spring cut on the Internet and post them side by side for those of you who are interested, you will certainly be able to tell the difference.

kimong

Rough_Rock
I'm excited too, cause after hanging around PS for a while now there is finally someone also looking for a tycoon/spring cut.

Anyway, you're quite right, there is a difference between the two, the cut of the tycoon bottom has steps like the emerald, unlike the spring, though the table seems the same, even with the "diamond on top of a diamond" thing. Thought I'll post the pics and the wireframe illustration of each too. Though, ya might notice that the spring cut people have wisely chosen to include everything in both the top and bottom view!!!

I think I like the spring more cause it does has a little bit more brillance then the tycoon and I prefer the cut corners, which makes it easier to use a prong setting. But I can see why people would like the tycoon if they already love the emerald.

BTW, a company called Imreco (www.imreco.com) in Quebec has exclusive rights to the spring cut in Canada. So dunno how difficult it would be for you to see them.

Can you tell me how much the tyc diamonds cost over in Canada? In the UK there is two places I know and both SO overprice them, but then again, everything in UK is overpriced! According to them for my budget of £4K I will only get a 0.5/.06ct, F/G, VS1/2! Yeah right!!! I'd rather travel to the US to get a better deal... esp now with the weak US $... heee...heee!

Here are the pics... bear with me though, first time I've posted pics!

kimong

Rough_Rock
tycoon cut pic

tycoon_cut.jpg

kimong

Rough_Rock
spring cut... photography of the this diamond isn't as good as the tycoon, not as clear and defined.

spring_cut.jpg

Nets

Rough_Rock
Thanks for posting the pics...

Previously, I tried to get in touch with imreco - I used the the phone number provided on the website and it ended up being someone's home where a rude kid answered the phone (and hung up on me), after calling back, eventually he gave me the number where I could reach his dad (Serge from Imreco). Anyhow, I called him, they don't sell to the public, he said he would call me back and provide me some info as to where I could get it - then he never did.

I also e-mailed someone else in the company, they told me they would find out and e-mail me back - and agian I never heard from them.

So, I have tried to see the Spring cut with no luck - obviously they are not that overly interested in my business (or customer service. I also contacted WhiteFlash, they stated they no longer sell them due to problems with the manufacturer. So fate has lead me to stay with the Tycoon cut which I loved when I saw.

Now for the cost, I would say that here in Canada from what I have seen so far, a 1.00 carat goes for anywhere from $11,000 - $13,500 CND (depending where you go). I'm not sure how much that is converted.

kimong

Rough_Rock
Bummer with Imreco! It's so annoying when you want something but can't even find people to sell it to you! I think I will be dealing directly with the manufacturer, MM diamonds. Guess you've been looking for a while too!

Sorry to crash your tycoon cut forum with spring cut talk. But right now I'm learning towards the spring but don't want to make a final decision without properly comparing the two! Because either way it seems I'm gonna have to fly to the US anyway to buy one!

The only person on this forum I know who has seen a spring is Cut Nut and he seems to really like it!

Prices are much better in Canada, CAN$11K is around £4,600!

Nets

Rough_Rock
Yes, I am quite sure the Spring cut is also beautiful and it did catch my interest during my research.

I had to do a lot of searching to get that price. We also considered going down to the US for a stone, but luckily we should be able to find what we want here - eventually.

Goodluck with your hunt, keep us posted with what you find.

Nets
appl.gif

Nets

Rough_Rock
Does anyone have any comments about this Tycoon cut??

1.04 carat
Measurements 6.19 x 4.95 x 3.68
Depth 74.3%
Table 73%
Girdle Thin to slightly thick
Cutlet None
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Good
Clarity VS2
Color F
Flourescence None

I previously have seen one with measurement that I liked more (it was a bit longer)..so I think the hunt continues - but any comments would sure be appreciated - so little information is available as to what makes a great Tycoon cut.

Thanks!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am quite sure that the only person who could really qualify a T cut is the maker: no one else whould know the reference standard better. It would be hard to judge anything more than color, clarity, polish, symmetry and overall proportions, which are top in this case. Regardless of cut, light return could be measured - if this is of concern to you - by the seller but not approximated by numbers. Hope someone could chim in with more info.

Here's another source of this cut, if you do not know it already... Their current stock seems smaller than what I have seen previously, so it may be worth asking about their non-online inventory too.

Nets

Rough_Rock
I am just getting the hang of getting the pictures in focus. This is not the best pick, but it's a start.
1.06 Tycoon Cut
VVS2
F Color
Depth 70.4%
Table 76%

Thanks to Victor from Rose Jewellery for getting me exactly what I wanted. I can't stop looking at it, I love it!!

I will post more (better) pics soon!

IMGP0324.JPG

Nets

Rough_Rock
Ouch...ok, I lied - I obviously have not got the hang of it yet. So how do I shrink these pictures?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hoped resolutions could be worked out... but not quite. We know it is a to white and exceptionally clean rock though, don't we
2.gif

TC.JPG

Nets

Rough_Rock
Thanks alot for editing the pic. I think I am getting the hang of it, I hope this picture is better...

dia5.JPG

Nets

Rough_Rock
Here is another pic, from the side. By the way, thanks a million to Pricescope, this is where I have been doing my research for the past few months and it has lead me to this!

dia4.JPG

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful tycoon cut! What are the mm dimensions?
10.gif

lovethemdiamonds

Rough_Rock
Hello there,

I am looking into getting another diamond to wear in my wedding set. I plan to keep my round as it is a beautiful E color 1.25 stone, but I am looking for a different stone to keep me intrigued (hopefully for the next five years). I saw a tycoon diamond when shopping one day, and I couldn''t take my eyes off it, it was bliinding. It''s almost translucent. I have never been a fan of the emerald because it does not have sparkle or any appeal, but the tycoon is breathtaking. I''m getting ready to purchase it tomorrow. How do you still like yours??? Any regrets?

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
autumngems, where in San Diego did you see the Tycoon 3-stone? I''d love to see one in person.

(In terms of "exotic" cuts, the one that I''m really intrigued with is the Victorian--kind of an elongated asscher look; step-cut but more brilliant than an emerald?.....)

victoriancut123.jpg

con17

Rough_Rock
Hey blueroses,

I think that you can see them at the Diamond Source in San Diego...I actually have a square tycoon cut I just got it back yesterday. It looks kind of like the pic you just posted but it''s got their trademark diamond on the face of the diamond. I''ll post a pic when I get a chance!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Cool--I have a love/hate relationship with their horrible cheesy radio ads, so I will have to go in and check it out
2.gif

I''ve never seen a square tycoon, so please do post!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was in a jewelry store in Olde TOwn, I am not sure if it was Diamond Source or not, but it was an awesome 3 stone ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results