shape
carat
color
clarity

Two weeks in NZ - recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Hi :wavey:

FI and I are off to New Zealand next week and would love any tips or recommendations on what to do, where to stay, and places to eat! Our itinerary is pretty flexible. Currently we're planning to have 6 days on the North Island (Hobbiton, Waitomo Caves, Tongariro National Park, Rotorua, & Wellington), Australia for a couple days (Great Barrier Reef and Koalas), and then to the South Island for 5 days (Queenstown, Bungee jump, Milford Sound). If you've been to New Zealand, I'd love your recommendations!
My internet research has shown that everyone loves doing everything, which is great because I feel like we can't go wrong, but I don't want to miss anything incredible either! I think we probably have 1-2 days in each island where we could fit in another thing to do.

Also not sure if NZ has much in terms of antiques and antique jewelery shops, but I'd love suggestions on that as well. :bigsmile:

Thank you !

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Mount Maunganui is a good place to hike, it's open to public and the views from the top are amazing!

NZ also has a 'green stone' that it's known for as well as things like bone carvings that the indigenous Maoris still make to this day.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What sort of things do you like to do? Queenstown/Wanaka (South Island) are great for skiing and wine tasting (different times of the year), West Coast (South Island) is great for moody native forest. Christchurch is being rebuilt after a massiv earthquake which flattened a lot of the city so is an interesting insight into what a major natural disaster looks like.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Mount Maunganui is a good place to hike, it's open to public and the views from the top are amazing!

NZ also has a 'green stone' that it's known for as well as things like bone carvings that the indigenous Maoris still make to this day.

Thanks! Will look into Mount Maunganui - that sounds great! I looked up greenstone, and it's so pretty! I'll need to find a necklace while I'm there :halo:

What sort of things do you like to do? Queenstown/Wanaka (South Island) are great for skiing and wine tasting (different times of the year), West Coast (South Island) is great for moody native forest. Christchurch is being rebuilt after a massiv earthquake which flattened a lot of the city so is an interesting insight into what a major natural disaster looks like.

We tend to be more scenic views/nature people than city people, but we still enjoy nice meals and a bit of shopping (especially local crafts and antiques). The west coast of the South Island sounds like it'd be pretty!!

If you guys like nature, I'd recommend checking out Zealandia in Wellington! It's primarily a sanctuary and conservation effort for native species.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Will look into Mount Maunganui - that sounds great! I looked up greenstone, and it's so pretty! I'll need to find a necklace while I'm there :halo:

We tend to be more scenic views/nature people than city people, but we still enjoy nice meals and a bit of shopping (especially local crafts and antiques). The west coast of the South Island sounds like it'd be pretty!!
it is - if you’re down the bottom of the SI anyway for Milford Sound (which is amazing) drive round the Catlins and see if you can get over to Stewart Island. Great white sharks come close into the island because of the water flows around there and it’s incredible scenery. There’s a petrified forest in the Catlins which you can walk around

kitten24

Rough_Rock
We visited Doubtful Sound instead of Milford Sound as it was a longer cruise with less people. It is stunning! Highly recommend it.
If you're visiting my part of the North Island (Hawkes Bay) we have a number of wineries that are worth a visit.

kitten24

Rough_Rock
Akaroa - South Island - is really pretty too.

And the Bay of Islands at the top of the North Island is full of NZ history.

Are you thinking of white water rafting the Waitomo caves? We walked the caves but could hear the rafters having fun. Definitely recommend the 3 cave tour when you visit Waitomo.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband and I had our honeymoon in New Zealand and the best part of our trip was staying in a cottage in a winery in Marlborough. It was amazing to wander around the different wineries and do wine tastings -- we liked the restaurant at the Hans Herzog organic winery and also the bar and garden at the Cloudy Bay winery. I loved that part of the South Island. Our favorite meal was at a rustic cafe called the Mussel Pot in nearby Havelock. The mussels were from a nearby farm -- super fresh and the biggest I had ever seen.We also really enjoyed whale watching and the seal nursery in Kaikoura (also South Island).

I highly recommend the Rotorua Canopy Tours (ziplining through native forest) on North Island. If you travel to Auckland, try to make time for a visit to the wineries on Waiheke Island.

During our trip I did not notice too much jewelry, there may be some vintage shops in the cities that may be of interest. Most stuff I saw is green stone (pounamu, nephrite jade?) and abalone shell / paua in silver jewelry.

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely the Bay of Islands at the top of the North Island, and also if you get chance in Wellington, go to the top of the Mount Victoria lookout. More breathtaking views for you!

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Those look amazing!!! :love::love:

If you guys like nature, I'd recommend checking out Zealandia in Wellington! It's primarily a sanctuary and conservation effort for native species.

Oooo that looks great! We'll be in Wellington a couple days, so will keep that on the list of things to do while we're there!

it is - if you’re down the bottom of the SI anyway for Milford Sound (which is amazing) drive round the Catlins and see if you can get over to Stewart Island. Great white sharks come close into the island because of the water flows around there and it’s incredible scenery. There’s a petrified forest in the Catlins which you can walk around

This sounds great too!! Would you recommend spending a night near Milford Sound and then the Catlins? Looks like each is about a 3 hour drive from Queenstown so getting to decide if spending a night in each place makes sense.

We visited Doubtful Sound instead of Milford Sound as it was a longer cruise with less people. It is stunning! Highly recommend it.
If you're visiting my part of the North Island (Hawkes Bay) we have a number of wineries that are worth a visit.
I'll look into Doubtful Sound!! Will the wineries be open this time of year? We assumed they'd probably be closed for winter, but if that's not the case we'll need to find a few to go to!!

Akaroa - South Island - is really pretty too.

And the Bay of Islands at the top of the North Island is full of NZ history.

Are you thinking of white water rafting the Waitomo caves? We walked the caves but could hear the rafters having fun. Definitely recommend the 3 cave tour when you visit Waitomo.

Yes! We are doing the boat tour of one of the caves and then the 3 hour black water rafting in the other ones! Super excited!!

Akaroa might be a bit too far away from Queenstown, but I'll keep it in mind! My FI really wanted to go to Bay of Islands to see the penguins, but unfortunately I don't think we're going to be that far north.

My husband and I had our honeymoon in New Zealand and the best part of our trip was staying in a cottage in a winery in Marlborough. It was amazing to wander around the different wineries and do wine tastings -- we liked the restaurant at the Hans Herzog organic winery and also the bar and garden at the Cloudy Bay winery. I loved that part of the South Island. Our favorite meal was at a rustic cafe called the Mussel Pot in nearby Havelock. The mussels were from a nearby farm -- super fresh and the biggest I had ever seen.We also really enjoyed whale watching and the seal nursery in Kaikoura (also South Island).

I highly recommend the Rotorua Canopy Tours (ziplining through native forest) on North Island. If you travel to Auckland, try to make time for a visit to the wineries on Waiheke Island.

During our trip I did not notice too much jewelry, there may be some vintage shops in the cities that may be of interest. Most stuff I saw is green stone (pounamu, nephrite jade?) and abalone shell / paua in silver jewelry.

Your trip sounds amazing and I want to do all of it!!! I hadn't heard of the zip lining in Rotorua, that sounds so fun!

Definitely the Bay of Islands at the top of the North Island, and also if you get chance in Wellington, go to the top of the Mount Victoria lookout. More breathtaking views for you!

Oh man, now I'm thinking maybe we should carve out two days to go to Bay of Islands... Will definitely check out the Mount Victoria lookout in Wellington!!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Abalone mabe pearls are gorgeous and hard to find outside of NZ so definitely recommend taking a look if you have some time. Pls post if you do get something!

kitten24

Rough_Rock
I just did a quick Google of Hawkes Bay wineries winter and got some hits so if you're heading this way that could be helpful. The national aquarium is here too with penguin...not quite the same as in the wild I know.

The blue pearls are amazing, I hadn't seen them until we visited Akaroa and now have them on the wishlist.

Heaps to do in Rotorua, you'll have fun there.
If you're planning on buying greenstone/jade/pounamu, Maori believe that it needs to be given to you, not bought for yourself...

Looking forward to seeing how your itinerary comes together.

Oh, the Shotover Jet in Queesntown is awesome! Highly recommend that...make sure you have a beanie, it gets cold on the river!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! Definitely the Shotover - it’s a thrilling ride! And I think if you’re doing the sounds as part of a tour, they pick you up at early o’clock from Te Anau which is close by. Also my husband’s just reminded me it’s Doubtful Sound which is better then Milford so anther vote for that one.
If you don’t want to go to the Bay of Islands (but I would if you can), there are little blue penguins in Oamaru, across the island from Queenstown and penguins in the Catlins too.

Gemzy

Rough_Rock
Lucky you!
North Island. White Island off the coast from Whakatane is very active and adventurous to tour. Check the webcams! There is also a small astronomical observatory in Whakatane run by a local society, they have an open invitation for people to join them to view the stars, a fun and different thing to do, they have a website.
Tiri Tiri Matangi island off the coast near Auckland is a nature reserve and the best place to see native birds in particular.
A tour offshore to see Albatrosses on the South Island from Kaikoura,
or there is a place near Dunedin I think where you can view Royal Albatross. Amazing birds. Huge. There are Fjiordland penguins that can sometimes be seen if you are very lucky from tours in the Sounds (Dusky/Doubtful). Stewart Island for native birds and Kiwi.
I often crib info from the Ultimate Travel Company for interesting itineraries and places to stay if feeling like a bit of indulgence is required in between exploring.
Have an amazing time!

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Another vote for Zealandia if you’re in Wellington for a bit.

We wish we’d spent a bit more time in Dunedin than we did.

Miles Better Pies in Te Anau is a good bite to eat. If you’re in Queenstown, a fun memory is getting a Fergburger to go and eating it down at the lake.

Basically, there’s no shortage of things to do and you’ll easily fill up two weeks!

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks again to everyone for the recommendations!!! We've been having just an absolutely amazing fantastic time. Currently in Queenstown now and have been checking out some Blue Pearls around town.

Here's two contenders, both are set in silver and are an additional 20% off the listed prices below.

1 is $715 Nzd and 11mm
20180827_224157.jpg

2 is $895 Nzd and 15.5mm
20180827_224214.jpg

Still shopping around so will come back with any other options I find!

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Oops, typo in my previous post. The larger one is 13.5mm. Bought it today after doing some comparison shopping. Absolutely love the color :love:!!

20180830_175016.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oops, typo in my previous post. The larger one is 13.5mm. Bought it today after doing some comparison shopping. Absolutely love the color :love:!!

20180830_175016.jpg

It looks awesome! Great color. Congrats!

samui

Rough_Rock
You can visit many interesting places in New Zealand. For example, Wellington. Air tickets you can find on fareboom.com I have been In Auckland last year. NZ has beautiful nature and parks. I want to go to NZ next year.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results