shape
carat
color
clarity

two stones...which one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fabulous

Rough_Rock
I am looking at three stones right now on BN, and two are coming out as excellent on the cut advisor. The first is a 0.71ct H color SI-1 that has been checked as eye clean, the other is a 0.64ct H color VS-1. Both are Ideal cut with excellent polish etc...and no flouresence. The one that is 0.71ct measures 5.77 x 5.81, and the 0.64ct measures 5.56 x 5.59...will I be able to see a visual difference between the two, if not should I just get the VS-1 because it has better clarity? Both stones are almost exactly the same price...

Thanks.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2008 9:59:50 AM
Author:fabulous
I am looking at three stones right now on BN, and two are coming out as excellent on the cut advisor. The first is a 0.71ct H color SI-1 that has been checked as eye clean, the other is a 0.64ct H color VS-1. Both are Ideal cut with excellent polish etc...and no flouresence. The one that is 0.71ct measures 5.77 x 5.81, and the 0.64ct measures 5.56 x 5.59...will I be able to see a visual difference between the two, if not should I just get the VS-1 because it has better clarity? Both stones are almost exactly the same price...

Thanks.
Can you post the proportions of each diamond, then we can give some input please.

fabulous

Rough_Rock
I can only place one now, as the 0.71 is on hold, and I can''t get the specs. The one I thought was 0.64 ia actually a 0.63 AGSL Ideal H color, VS-1 table 57, depth 61.1% 33.9 crown, and 40.9 pavillion. It measures 5.55 x 5.51 x 3.38. Cut advisor say''s 1.2.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2008 10:46:34 AM
Author: fabulous
I can only place one now, as the 0.71 is on hold, and I can''t get the specs. The one I thought was 0.64 ia actually a 0.63 AGSL Ideal H color, VS-1 table 57, depth 61.1% 33.9 crown, and 40.9 pavillion. It measures 5.55 x 5.51 x 3.38. Cut advisor say''s 1.2.
That one looks good, any chance of an Idealscope image to confirm the numbers?

fabulous

Rough_Rock
I''m not sure that BN has the idealscope available...I already felt like a dick asking them to check two SI-1''s for the eye clean from the top, as well as the sides. He, he. The 0.71ct I am interested in also came out well on the advisor...a 1.1 actually, but it is a SI-1...I''m kinda on the fence, as I would like a stone that visually looks the biggest, but I also want is to be really clean to the eye, as I''m VERY anal. How much difference would I notice between a stone 5.55 x 5.51, and one 5.77 x 5.8? If it''s not that noticable, I''d rather ease my mind and get the VS-1 stone.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2008 11:35:48 AM
I'm not sure that BN has the idealscope available...I already felt like a dick asking them to check two SI-1's for the eye clean from the top, as well as the sides. He, he. The 0.71ct I am interested in also came out well on the advisor...a 1.1 actually, but it is a SI-1...I'm kinda on the fence, as I would like a stone that visually looks the biggest, but I also want is to be really clean to the eye, as I'm VERY anal. How much difference would I notice between a stone 5.55 x 5.51, and one 5.77 x 5.8? If it's not that noticable, I'd rather ease my mind and get the VS-1 stone.
Seriously, if the rep at BN made you feel that way ( I sincerely hope not), or that you were inconveniencing him by asking him to do his job, then ask for another representative, or go with another vendor who will be happy to help you and earn your business!!! You have every right to ask as many questions as you want, especially concerning whether a diamond is eyeclean! Also you are right, BN do not provide such services as Idealscope images at this time, to the best of my knowledge. You say you are very strict on clarity, then maybe VS may be the best choice, but I would suggest checking out some other vendors with in house diamonds, as they will be able to tell you exactly if a diamond is eyeclean to your standards or not. The difference between the two size diamonds, you may notice a small difference, but it depends on whether that is a deciding factor.

fabulous

Rough_Rock
The rep didn''t mind, I just felt weird asking for a side examination. I confirmed that they only check from the top, and then asked for one from the sides as well...she said they usually don''t do that, but would. All of the reps there have been extremely helpful when I''ve phoned... I jst want to get something that my GF will love, ya know. My sister has a 0.41ct H/A stone that is F color, and a SI-1, and it is beautiful...can''t see anything in it. I just want something a bit bigger as my GF is 5''-11" and has long slender fingers...my sister is 5''-2" and has short fingers. My sisters ring almost dissapears on my GF''s hand, so I want something bigger...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/17/2008 12:32:15 PM
The rep didn't mind, I just felt weird asking for a side examination. I confirmed that they only check from the top, and then asked for one from the sides as well...she said they usually don't do that, but would. All of the reps there have been extremely helpful when I've phoned... I jst want to get something that my GF will love, ya know. My sister has a 0.41ct H/A stone that is F color, and a SI-1, and it is beautiful...can't see anything in it. I just want something a bit bigger as my GF is 5'-11' and has long slender fingers...my sister is 5'-2' and has short fingers. My sisters ring almost dissapears on my GF's hand, so I want something bigger...
Thats good. I was concerned especially in your other thread, where you mentioned a BN rep said the HCA was basically a waste of time. But it is always best to ask as many questions as you need. This is an important purchase, and well worth the time and effort it takes to find the right diamond!

fabulous

Rough_Rock
Well, I did it...I ordered. I picked the 0.71ct after I had it checked from all angles, and it came back as very eye clean. This one also rated a 1.1 on the cut advisor. This morning I went to a well regarded local jeweller and looked at a tonne of H color SI-1 stones, and they all looked great, even under 10X magnification, so I bit the bullet, and went with the bigger rock ...I''m stoked! I really hope my GF loves it. Thanks again for all your help everyone.

PS- The local jeweler quoted me $3800 for the one 0.7ct, H color, Ex cut stone I was looking at...the one I got off Blue Nile was $2153! That is crazy, CRAZY markup if you ask me.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
Yayyyyyyy!! Congratulations!!!
36.gif

Photos are (almost) compulsory! :)

x x x

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results