shape
carat
color
clarity

Two pears (0.5 tw) on the sides: how picky do I need to be?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock

My e-ring is going to be the one with 1ct round diamond in the center and two pears (0.5 tw) on the sides. My local jeweler gave me a great price on the setting including the two excellent cut pear stones. Ifm buying a 1ct center from one of the online vendors and bring it into the local jeweler.

Ifm wondering if I should just trust him in choosing the two pear stones, or buy two pears from the vendor who I buy 1ct center stone from. I prefer to just go with the local jeweler for the setting with pear stones, but my concern is that whether he can choose nice pear stones for me or not. I asked for excellent cut pears, and he increased his quote a little, but Ifm not sure if he really knows what is excellent cut pears. He is well known trusted jeweler for offering great custom settings/mountings, but Ifm not sure of his ability to choose pears.

My question is that how picky I need to be about the excellent cut 0.25ct each pear stone? If it is a good cut, would it be good enough? I would think he could pick good cut pears at least. How much difference will I see in 0.25 ct each two pear stones between good cut and excellent cut?

Thanks!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
They should be nicely matched in shape, cut and no bow ties if possible. Pleasing to the eye is key. As long as they have a nice shape and match nicely that should do it. You don''t want one that is fatter then the other, so look for that. Good luck!!!
2.gif

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 12:13:13 AM
Author: Kaleigh
They should be nicely matched in shape, cut and no bow ties if possible. Pleasing to the eye is key. As long as they have a nice shape and match nicely that should do it. You don''t want one that is fatter then the other, so look for that. Good luck!!!
2.gif
He did mentioned that he will need to find a nice matching one for the setting, so he does know that part, which is good.
emotion-5.gif
I''m thinking of asking him to bring in two sets of pears if possible so that I can compare to see which one looks better etc. Also, I''m thinking of giving him the table/depth spec range and ratio of L/W. I''m even thinking of asking him to bring the pear to my appraiser to make sure they are good stones.... So, do you think this would be good enough to have nice pears?!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yup, having two sets to compare side by side would be great, I wouldn''t worry too much about having them appraised. If they are nicely shaped, have a nice cut, and are pleasing to your eye, that''s enough for me. Make sure they are eye clean, and if you want take pics for us. We love those. I wouldn''t over think this, we all can get a little crazy here, myself included. You''ll be fine.
1.gif

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 12:49:15 AM
Author: Kaleigh
Yup, having two sets to compare side by side would be great, I wouldn''t worry too much about having them appraised. If they are nicely shaped, have a nice cut, and are pleasing to your eye, that''s enough for me. Make sure they are eye clean, and if you want take pics for us. We love those. I wouldn''t over think this, we all can get a little crazy here, myself included. You''ll be fine.
1.gif
Thanks for the advise! I know... I''m going nuts over this while thing (search for e-ring). My boyfriend think I''m crazy- hehe...
41.gif
But, I''m enjoying this entire process, so hey, that''s all it matters!
emsmile.gif

oceanbeach

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/29/2006 10:06:52 AM
Author: Virginia
If I were you (and I was not so long ago! well, you know what I mean) I would ask for the following:

Eye Clean (no dark inculsions! hate those!)
Minimal or no bowtie
The L:W ratio you like (I like longer pears, some like fatter)
Color Range to match your center stone
Matching set

Other than that you should be fine! Dont worry about it too much, I didnt. And I am a control freak. Let them pick them, they do it for a living!

Have fun!
35.gif

Your comment "color range to match center stone" reminded me of one question I had...
I told the local jeweler that my center stone color will be G and he said that then he will look for G for pears to match too. But, I''ve read somewhere before that fancy shape stone shows more color than round stone. Does this mean that I need to go higher on color for pears? Will G & G be fine as long as it nicely match to my eyes? Whatfs your color (center vs pears), if you donft mind asking??
How about yours, Kaleigh??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results