shape
carat
color
clarity

Twinning Wisps scaring me a little, need some reassurance : )

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Hope everyone's having an amazing week! After searching for months, I'm close to pulling the trigger on a CBI from the wonderful people over at HPD. It's an I SI1 with twinning wisps. I was assured that the diamond is eye clean and that the inclusions don't affect it's performance in any way. They have been unbelievably patient and helpful, and I completely trust their word, but I seemingly need some help to get me across the finish line. Any thoughts on twinning wisps and what your experience is, if any, with diamonds that have them? I'm considering a stone that has the same specs, but is a VS2 for around $1000 more. Is it worthwhile to spend the extra money?

Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 12.17.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-12-13 at 12.18.47 PM.png

Reactions: AV_

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kmajid I absolutely would NOT worry about those twinning wisps if HPD said they were fine and/or the diamond is eye-clean. I was considering a CBI with twinning wisps a few months back that I had the exact same initial concerns about and questioned just like you are now. When I got it in hand, they absolutely were NOT visible to my naked eye, and even with a loupe, I had to really, really hunt to even find them.

If HPD said it’s good, eye clean, and the inclusions pose no structural concerns (and I’m sure it doesn’t or it wouldn’t even make it to CBI/HPD inventory), I would absolutely feel confident pulling the trigger, get it in hand, and prepare to be surprised that you worried about those wisps at all. Then, you can begin thinking about how you’re going to spend the $1000 you just saved by splurging on an upgraded setting or something else entirely.

The only caveat I’d offer is this: if you think your concern is more an issue of ‘mind clean inclusions’ (e.g., that just knowing they are there will always bug you even if you can’t see them even with a loupe), then go with the other option or keep looking. Everyone is different when it comes to what ‘mind clean’ is to them - for me, I’d rather have that $1k savings than worry about something I can’t even see, but others’ priorities are different and there’s no ‘right’ answer except for what is right for you.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like twinnings wisps lol. What size is the stone? I personally wouldn’t worry about it as Paul is so so picky when he chooses rough.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
They can go either way. Sometimes an issue. sometimes not.
Your in good hands with hpd\cbi.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If helpful, I remembered that I do still have some videos of the CBI w/twinning wisps that I noted above, if you’d like to see an IRL example of a CBI with twinning wisps. I am pretty sure it was also an SI1, but if I correctly recall the clarity plot, I believe it had more/bigger wisps than the one you’re considering, so this may give you some peace of mind/comfort.

Here’s a video where I was comparing it to my (at-the-time ’current‘) diamond - the CBI is on the right/my middle finger; and the other diamond (on the left) was VS1. Ensure the quality is in HD, blow it up to full screen, slow down the play speed, and you’ll see you cannot spot even a hint of ‘twinning wisp’ in that CBI diamond. And I suspect you won’t see them in the one you’re considering either because CBI is very ‘tight’ with their clarity criteria to assure eye-clean confidence for their customers.

In the interest of transparency, I did end up returning that CBI and went a different direction with my upgrade, but my decision was entirely unrelated to any clarity concerns in the CBI, and was more financially-driven. I was trading in the other diamond which also had a generous upgrade policy from the original vendor I purchased it, and the ‘numbers’ made more sense for me to stick with that vendor vs. take a loss on the trade-in with a different vendor.

dazzle66

Rough_Rock
I just got a K SI1 CBI from HP Diamonds last week that has twining wisps. I can't find them even with a loupe! I too was a little nervous with my inclusion plot, but when CBI says it's eye clean, it's eye clean.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
@kmajid I absolutely would NOT worry about those twinning wisps if HPD said they were fine and/or the diamond is eye-clean. I was considering a CBI with twinning wisps a few months back that I had the exact same initial concerns about and questioned just like you are now. When I got it in hand, they absolutely were NOT visible to my naked eye, and even with a loupe, I had to really, really hunt to even find them.

If HPD said it’s good, eye clean, and the inclusions pose no structural concerns (and I’m sure it doesn’t or it wouldn’t even make it to CBI/HPD inventory), I would absolutely feel confident pulling the trigger, get it in hand, and prepare to be surprised that you worried about those wisps at all. Then, you can begin thinking about how you’re going to spend the $1000 you just saved by splurging on an upgraded setting or something else entirely.

The only caveat I’d offer is this: if you think your concern is more an issue of ‘mind clean inclusions’ (e.g., that just knowing they are there will always bug you even if you can’t see them even with a loupe), then go with the other option or keep looking. Everyone is different when it comes to what ‘mind clean’ is to them - for me, I’d rather have that $1k savings than worry about something I can’t even see, but others’ priorities are different and there’s no ‘right’ answer except for what is right for you.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It makes me feel a lot better.

I don't think i have much a mind clean issue, so we should be ok as long as it truly is eye clean.

...and the 1000 dollar savings will probably go towards a small diamond for a pendant : )

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I like twinnings wisps lol. What size is the stone? I personally wouldn’t worry about it as Paul is so so picky when he chooses rough.

What do you like about them? haha It's a 1.8 carat stone.

Their attention to detail and the fact that they handle everything from A-Z are primarily why I'm buying a diamond from them. That and the fact that they look incredible : )

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
If helpful, I remembered that I do still have some videos of the CBI w/twinning wisps that I noted above, if you’d like to see an IRL example of a CBI with twinning wisps. I am pretty sure it was also an SI1, but if I correctly recall the clarity plot, I believe it had more/bigger wisps than the one you’re considering, so this may give you some peace of mind/comfort.

Here’s a video where I was comparing it to my (at-the-time ’current‘) diamond - the CBI is on the right/my middle finger; and the other diamond (on the left) was VS1. Ensure the quality is in HD, blow it up to full screen, slow down the play speed, and you’ll see you cannot spot even a hint of ‘twinning wisp’ in that CBI diamond. And I suspect you won’t see them in the one you’re considering either because CBI is very ‘tight’ with their clarity criteria to assure eye-clean confidence for their customers.

In the interest of transparency, I did end up returning that CBI and went a different direction with my upgrade, but my decision was entirely unrelated to any clarity concerns in the CBI, and was more financially-driven. I was trading in the other diamond which also had a generous upgrade policy from the original vendor I purchased it, and the ‘numbers’ made more sense for me to stick with that vendor vs. take a loss on the trade-in with a different vendor.

Thanks for taking the time to share that video. Definitely couldn't see anything.

Hope you've been happy with the upgrade that you did go with : )

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing your experience. Definitely makes me feel better and more confident.

And congrats on your new diamond! How has your experience been with it? : )

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are cool geologically and give the diamond character while proving its real, lol.

I have 3 CBI diamonds but mine are much smaller. I have an SI1 and 2. And a VS.

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I think they are cool geologically and give the diamond character while proving its real, lol.

I have 3 CBI diamonds but mine are much smaller. I have an SI1 and 2. And a VS.

That's awesome. So you're a CBI collector : ) I take it you think they're worthwhile then?

I'm considering getting a smaller one with the savings for a little pendant.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome. So you're a CBI collector : ) I take it you think they're worthwhile then?

I'm considering getting a smaller one with the savings for a little pendant.

Ooh, that is a good idea. My sapphire 3 stone has CBI sides and I have a little .64 I color solitaire.

Yes, I think they are amazing. My plan for the .64 is to upgrade eventually and have 2 engagement rings I can switch out when I want lol. Stay here long enough and that is what happens. :mrgreen:

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
Ooh, that is a good idea. My sapphire 3 stone has CBI sides and I have a little .64 I color solitaire.

Yes, I think they are amazing. My plan for the .64 is to upgrade eventually and have 2 engagement rings I can switch out when I want lol. Stay here long enough and that is what happens. :mrgreen:

haha i bet! I think that's going to happen with the pendant stone. Considering my partner only kinda wants a diamond I doubt we'll ever upgrade that one haha With that said, you never know : )

What's your experience like with the I. I know that it's going to be as white as i'd like it from the top, but i keep getting concerned about the body and how it will look from the side. I've seen a couple in person and i think we'll be fine, but since you have one i figured i'd ask your experience.

You and others in this forum have been super helpful and i'm very grateful. Thanks for always taking the time to respond.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing your experience. Definitely makes me feel better and more confident.

And congrats on your new diamond! How has your experience been with it? : )

You’re welcome & thank you. I am thrilled with my upgrade. I ended up getting quite a big size jump more than I planned, and it took some getting used to the new size (from 1.4ct/7.15 mm to 2.1ct/8.25 mm) but I am used to it now; just need to settle on a permanent setting/design for a three-stone ring. I’m getting close, I think. :wavey:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
haha i bet! I think that's going to happen with the pendant stone. Considering my partner only kinda wants a diamond I doubt we'll ever upgrade that one haha With that said, you never know : )

What's your experience like with the I. I know that it's going to be as white as i'd like it from the top, but i keep getting concerned about the body and how it will look from the side. I've seen a couple in person and i think we'll be fine, but since you have one i figured i'd ask your experience.

You and others in this forum have been super helpful and i'm very grateful. Thanks for always taking the time to respond.

I am super color sensitive (I can see tint in a G) so I do like the I but yes I can see tint on the sides. It mostly doesn’t bother me. You have to know your puzzle pieces. I can do SI2 or even I1 but I’ll go up to H when I upgrade.

To everyone else, the I looks white. No tint. It’s my supersonic eyes lol

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
You’re welcome & thank you. I am thrilled with my upgrade. I ended up getting quite a big size jump more than I planned, and it took some getting used to the new size (from 1.4ct/7.15 mm to 2.1ct/8.25 mm) but I am used to it now; just need to settle on a permanent setting/design for a three-stone ring. I’m getting close, I think. :wavey:

I get the sense that most people get used to larger sizes fairly quickly haha Good luck with finalizing the permanent setting/design!

kmajid

Shiny_Rock
I am super color sensitive (I can see tint in a G) so I do like the I but yes I can see tint on the sides. It mostly doesn’t bother me. You have to know your puzzle pieces. I can do SI2 or even I1 but I’ll go up to H when I upgrade.

To everyone else, the I looks white. No tint. It’s my supersonic eyes lol

Good to know that it mostly doesn't bother you. I can see the tint, but i'm hoping it won't bother me.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results