shape
carat
color
clarity

Tux

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Our bms are in victorian lilac which is a darker, more smokey purple and is not grape-y or pastel-y. My dress is a pure white organza from Maggie. The pure white in this material seems less stark than I''ve seen on a satin gown so perhaps it could even be considered diamond white. My other colors will be crisp whites and sage greens with silver accents. The ceremony will be in a garden/park and takes place at the end of August. The reception will be in a reception on the beach.

Will black, khaki/tan/champagne, or dark grey tuxes look best on the guys?

I love the look of the champagne tux on my FI but I''m concerned they won''t look so great with the BM colors (champagne and v.lilac?). It would look lovely with my white dress but then I''ve always liked the look of crisp whites with khaki''s in general (some people I''ve encountered told me that khaki tuxes should only be used with an ivory wedding gown). I also love the casualness of this color. It keeps things from looking too formal.

On the other hand, black bores my FI and I don''t blame him on that one and grey seems like it could be a compromise between boring my FI and keeping the formal factor down. FI and I both agree the champange tux is our favorite.......especially if we didn''t have five women dresses in victorian lilac to account for! lol. So, what do you all think? Will the champagne tux work okay with the other colors or are we better off going with the grey?

Here is a pic of the tux we want.....he tried it on and it is so handsome on him!!!!!

khaki tux mr tux.jpg

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I vote a grey color... but I am really not a fan of khaki tuxes, so I'm a bit bias. I think the grey would present an nice contrast with the lilac, though.

ETA: Do you have a picture of the lilac so we can compare? The lilac I have in mind might be different then what you actually have...

*M*

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I'm posting again so soon... haha. If the color of your bm dresses looks similar to the color below, I think you could definitely use a champagne tux with no problem, and it would look very unique (in a good way, lol).

*M*

ETA: Sorry it's ENORMOUS! Lol!

4g Victorian Lilac.jpg

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
what time of day is the ceremony?

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
From a guy who can''t wear khaki colored suits: unless your guy has darker skin & hair, the khaki will look terrible.

Best off with a grey or black -- classics that never go out of style.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say I am a little weirded out by the concept of a khaki tux. Tuxes are supposed to be black... sometimes when someone on the red carpet gets crazy and wears a midnight blue one I am like- oh that''s cool...
but a khaki tux is weird to me. Because khakis are casual and tuxes are formal so having a khaki tux makes my head spin.

If he wants to wear khaki how about him buying a nice khaki suit? that he could wear it again?
I have a friend who did this and then the groomsmen just wore khaki pants that she bought on super sale from Banana republic- I think that the pants were like 19.99 a pair...

Also doing the whole khaki pants w/ the navy blue blazer is SO classic and perfect for a summer daytime wedding- and would look fine w/ the victorian lilac dresses.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Poptart~ Yes, that swatch is purty close to my BM dresses :) Thank you for a vote for Khaki :)

Dtnyc~ Ceremony is at 5:30pm. I actually just found a place today that rents suits and they have a grey and a khaki one. I don''t happen to share your feelings on khaki tuxes but I can say that I would definitley prefer a suit to a tux for our wedding............we wanted this in the begining and we want to be able to keep the formality even with the rest of the event. Glad now we have that option :)

Kev-800~ I appreciate your comment :) I''m lucky my FI looks hot in khaki colored tuxes but I never thought of it''s reason being he''s darker skinnned. It will be something to consider, though, for his 5 buddies..........4 of which are quite fair.

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Kev800~ Yikes! Do you think the whole khaki suit thing will look like the light blue tuxes (and ruffly shirts) of the 70''s???
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

I hadn''t considered that! My grandchildren will be looking at our pictures and laughing lol.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/22/2007 8:12:17 PM
Author: So_happy
Kev800~ Yikes! Do you think the whole khaki suit thing will look like the light blue tuxes (and ruffly shirts) of the 70''s???
32.gif
32.gif
32.gif

I hadn''t considered that! My grandchildren will be looking at our pictures and laughing lol.

That was exactly what I was trying to get across w/ my post. A great way to evaluate what is classic and what is not is to look at what is actually
sold in nice stores. Because that is what people invest in... people buy black tuxes and wear them for years. People rented the powder blue tuxes and are probably renting the khaki ones now.

If you don''t see people wearing khaki tuxes to black tie events or to other weddings it''s a trend and it will look dated. A classic black tux, or khaki suit will not.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for the champagne tux! I think it will look gorgeous and just slightly less formal than a black or grey tux, but still fit in well with the rest of your colors, bm''s dresses included. We had an outdoor wedding as well, and the gm''s wore champagne tuxes...we received so many compliments on them and the gm''s loved them as well.

kev_800

Shiny_Rock
Yup, Ithink DTNYC is right..... these are pictures that are going to be around for several generations. If you like the champagne look so much, you could ask your photographer takes some pictures in Sepia mode, which gives a more antiquey champagne hue to the photo.

Anyhow -- you''ll want the groomsmen to look nice as well and if they''re fair skinned, kahki is very difficult to pull off.

You could put the GM in black, and the groom in kahki.... but my vote is definitely for black or grey with an accented color tie or black bowtie (bowties should only be black or white in my opinion :)

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Or a lighter grey tux, too, in order to compliment the darker lilac... I think if you use dark grey it will make everything feel kind of dark as well, but that''s just my opinion! And maybe you want a darker atmosphere, afterall.

*M*

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 12:43:45 AM
Author: monarch64
I vote for the champagne tux! I think it will look gorgeous and just slightly less formal than a black or grey tux, but still fit in well with the rest of your colors, bm''s dresses included. We had an outdoor wedding as well, and the gm''s wore champagne tuxes...we received so many compliments on them and the gm''s loved them as well.
Monarch: I''m happy to hear a vote for champagne
21.gif
I have been looking into the light greys and if I can get my FI to go another round, I''d like to see if he can love those, too. As it stands, he is enamored with this champagne and I can see why....he looks really great in it and it is a bit different. However, now that I''ve considered grey more seriously, I think that the shade will certainly look great with my white gown and thier v.lilac dresses. In fact, the lilac has that grey undertone to it. So, I''m of two minds right now
21.gif

Kev: I mentioned to my FI that his groomsmen may not look as great as he in champagne and he said "so?".
9.gif
I just shook my head and wished silently that I could have been that carefree when picking my BM colors
20.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
So Happy, I really like the pic you posted w/the guy in the champagne suit. I think that would go great w/the purple dresses. You''ve got me thinking now
2.gif
except my FI wants the traditional black tux w/bow tie.
But I also think the grey will look very nice too. What if you do that thing at the david''s bridal website where you dress your wedding party. You can get a feel of all the different colors together.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/23/2007 3:31:16 PM

21.gif
I have been looking into the light greys and if I can get my FI to go another round, I''d like to see if he can love those, too. As it stands, he is enamored with this champagne and I can see why....he looks really great in it and it is a bit different. However, now that I''ve considered grey more seriously, I think that the shade will certainly look great with my white gown and thier v.lilac dresses. In fact, the lilac has that grey undertone to it. So, I''m of two minds right now
21.gif

Kev: I mentioned to my FI that his groomsmen may not look as great as he in champagne and he said ''so?''.
9.gif
I just shook my head and wished silently that I could have been that carefree when picking my BM colors
20.gif
So_happy, the only other thing i would consider when choosing between champagne and grey is the "etiquette" of the matter which says that the most formal of wedding tuxes are morning tuxes done in grey. If you care about any sort of etiquette/rules as far as tuxes, you might take that into consideration, and think about the time your ceremony will take place...other than that I think either choice would go beautifully with the rest of your colors!

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2007 12:37:10 AM

Date: 3/23/2007 3:31:16 PM

21.gif
21.gif

Kev: I mentioned to my FI that his groomsmen may not look as great as he in champagne and he said ''so?''.
9.gif
20.gif
So_happy, the only other thing i would consider when choosing between champagne and grey is the ''etiquette'' of the matter which says that the most formal of wedding tuxes are morning tuxes done in grey. If you care about any sort of etiquette/rules as far as tuxes, you might take that into consideration, and think about the time your ceremony will take place...other than that I think either choice would go beautifully with the rest of your colors!
ooohhhh....interesting! So, morning weddings using grey tuxes trump church weddings w/ black tuxes in regard to formality? I''ve confused myself
7.gif

Our ceremony will be at 5:30pm and it will still be daylight out. How does that work into it? I am always interested in hearing what''s considered "correct" but I like to make my own decision thereafter
9.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/23/2007 11:55:23 PM
Author: dixie94
So Happy, I really like the pic you posted w/the guy in the champagne suit. I think that would go great w/the purple dresses. You''ve got me thinking now
2.gif
except my FI wants the traditional black tux w/bow tie.
But I also think the grey will look very nice too. What if you do that thing at the david''s bridal website where you dress your wedding party. You can get a feel of all the different colors together.
Hey there, Dixie!! It is a nice pic, ain''t it? FI and I discussed it some more this evening and the thing that got him was that he''d have to wear champagne/ivory/maybe even brown-y shoes to go with the tux....and he hates that idea.
31.gif
I couldn''t believe after all the "evidence" and support for going with grey that THAT is what he needed to hear to say "oh the heck with champagne, I am NOT wearing ivory freakin'' shoes!"
20.gif

The light grey just fits better with everything else (including my silver accents). And my boy gets to wear nice non-ivory shoes
20.gif
. Now we get to try to figure out if we will go with a tux or a suit. Ayiyiyiyiyiyi

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, so here''s the rank, sort of...for morning weddings/events: grey morning suits/tuxes with tails before noon. Following noon any color except gray (if you prescribe to this sort of thing, lol) and after 5 black is considered "correct" etiquette-wise for tuxedos, unless it is an uber-formal affair in which case white dinner jackets (aka "white tie") would be most appropriate.

So_happy, since your wedding will take place after 5, but is outdoors, I would say you can get away with either traditional black tuxedos, or a champagne tuxedo. Of course, if you found a grey tux sans tails your GM''s and FI just loved I''m sure that would be beautiful as well, and appropriate! It really doesn''t matter so much what "etiquette" deems correct, it matters what works for you! (Just don''t do grey morning coats with tails after noon, ok?)
9.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/24/2007 12:59:31 AM
Ok, so here''s the rank, sort of...for morning weddings/events: grey morning suits/tuxes with tails before noon. Following noon any color except gray (if you prescribe to this sort of thing, lol) and after 5 black is considered ''correct'' etiquette-wise for tuxedos, unless it is an uber-formal affair in which case white dinner jackets (aka ''white tie'') would be most appropriate.

So_happy, since your wedding will take place after 5, but is outdoors, I would say you can get away with either traditional black tuxedos, or a champagne tuxedo. Of course, if you found a grey tux sans tails your GM''s and FI just loved I''m sure that would be beautiful as well, and appropriate! It really doesn''t matter so much what ''etiquette'' deems correct, it matters what works for you! (Just don''t do grey morning coats with tails after noon, ok?)
9.gif

Gotcha! No prob
9.gif
Thanx for the run-down. Now I know.

Kit

Brilliant_Rock
My 2 cents:

I dont'' think that tuxedos shoudl be any color except dark. Black, or navy. Navy is questionable. Moreover, I don''t like men in suits that are light colored unless it''s seersucker.

But more to the point, perhaps you shoudl think about how you will feel about the photos you have from the wedding 20 years from now. Will you look back on these color schemes and outfits and think, Wow we look so 2007! Or, Wow we looked great! Black tuxes are classic and timeless; champagne is more of a trend. You just need to feel comfortable with being trendy if that''s the direction you''re going in. Lord knows I look at pictures of myself from the 1990''s and think What the hell was I thinking?!? LOL.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as looking "dated" I just want to point out (and this isn''t to say that anyone''s opinion is wrong, believe me) that the trend of strapless dresses with any style of skirt is going to look as dated as those 80''s dresses with Victorian long lace sleeves and high necks does at this point in time somewhere down the line 20 years from now! If your wedding has your current style, your likes, and your taste stamped all over it because it''s what you love, it won''t matter in the future whether it looks dated or not. And honestly, how is it even possible to avoid having wedding pics which look "dated"? Look at Princess Di''s and Charles'' wedding from the 80''s...are poufy sleeves in now? No! But she had a beautifully done wedding and it was oozing with style so who cares? I feel that the same goes for tuxes/suits, etc. Yes, anything that deviates from the very traditional black and white is going to look "dated" years from now, but if you''re going for an overall effect and using a classic style of tuxedo only in a different color (and no exaggerated ruffled tux shirts or crazy cumberbunds), is it so wrong? It''s one of those times in your life when you go with what you like, what pleases you and your FI, and what makes you happy at the time. It''s one day to look back on and not worry about whether you did exactly the right thing or not, imo. It''s a life experience that you may never have again...some may look at it as "you have to do everything JUST SO and please everyone" or you can look at it as "this is OUR day and we''re doing exactly what we want for the ONE day that will make us happy and expresses us as a couple!"
3.gif
9.gif

So_happy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2007 12:32:13 AM
As far as looking ''dated'' I just want to point out (and this isn''t to say that anyone''s opinion is wrong, believe me) that the trend of strapless dresses with any style of skirt is going to look as dated as those 80''s dresses with Victorian long lace sleeves and high necks does at this point in time somewhere down the line 20 years from now! If your wedding has your current style, your likes, and your taste stamped all over it because it''s what you love, it won''t matter in the future whether it looks dated or not. And honestly, how is it even possible to avoid having wedding pics which look ''dated''? Look at Princess Di''s and Charles'' wedding from the 80''s...are poufy sleeves in now? No! But she had a beautifully done wedding and it was oozing with style so who cares? I feel that the same goes for tuxes/suits, etc. Yes, anything that deviates from the very traditional black and white is going to look ''dated'' years from now, but if you''re going for an overall effect and using a classic style of tuxedo only in a different color (and no exaggerated ruffled tux shirts or crazy cumberbunds), is it so wrong? It''s one of those times in your life when you go with what you like, what pleases you and your FI, and what makes you happy at the time. It''s one day to look back on and not worry about whether you did exactly the right thing or not, imo. It''s a life experience that you may never have again...some may look at it as ''you have to do everything JUST SO and please everyone'' or you can look at it as ''this is OUR day and we''re doing exactly what we want for the ONE day that will make us happy and expresses us as a couple!''
3.gif
9.gif
What lovely sentiments
36.gif
I appreciate the perspective you''ve put on this topic and I think you make a great point. My fiance used to DJ weddings professionally and he always wore a tux to those events (obviously) so he has a very big chip on his shoulder about wearing black tuxes to his own wedding (it seems like sort of a "uniform" to him
7.gif
) I totally see his point and I so want him to feel great in what he wears. It looks like the grey will win this challenge in the end.

At least my sweetie and I will take that looking-dated risk together: he in his grey tux and I in my strapless gown
31.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I completely agree with Monarch. Get whatever the two of you like, and don''t worry about it looking dated. It happens... because styles inevitably change. Just enjoy your day!

*M*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results