shape
carat
color
clarity

Turkish tourist death

justginger

Ideal_Rock
:nono: http://news.yahoo.com/report-missing-nyc-woman-found-dead-turkey-182309377.html :nono:

I am saddened to read of this woman's death - her poor family. ;(

I very much hope this doesn't affect the American view of Turkey. My parents were appalled when DH and I went there last summer - Dad lumped it in with Iran in terms of Western safety standards. :rolleyes: Of course it is a fairly popular destination for Australians (and the British), so I don't think it will put any of them off. I would just hate to see the relatively few American tourists who make it to such a lovely country put off of future travel. :blackeye:

D

Deactivated member 42515

That's terrible! I really hope they find out what happened to her! To disappear on the day she's supposed to come back.... oh no... :angryfire:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the kind of thing that would keep me from traveling alone there, for sure. It does not make me feel safe.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is an absolutely awful situation and my heart goes out to her family. But I don't know why anyone would be scared to travel there over one rare incident? The relative murder rates in the US are so much higher...

We went to Istanbul last October and stayed RIGHT near Galata Bridge. Felt very safe there even at night by myself if my DH wasn't with me. It's a very busy and popular area with both tourists and locals.

This situation is so sad, but it's even sadder that because it is a Muslim country, or is located near some not-so-great countries, this will scare people from going there over one incident. US tourists are killed in Mexico, Paris, etc. at regular intervals but yet people don't stop going there so I am a bit perplexed myself! :confused:

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
I was just there in Nov. I was rarely alone, but I felt as safe or safer than in the US.
This is very sad, but also somewhat unusual....unlike my hometown of Chicago.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
neatfreak|1359992200|3371884 said:
This situation is so sad, but it's even sadder that because it is a Muslim country, or is located near some not-so-great countries, this will scare people from going there over one incident. US tourists are killed in Mexico, Paris, etc. at regular intervals but yet people don't stop going there so I am a bit perplexed myself! :confused:

I think it's news bacause it is so rare (in addition to the geography). I go to Turkey regularly and have sometimes felt a little out of my element because I don't speak that much of the language, but never unsafe. My parents freak out a bit every time they hear of something happening in Turkey (most of which have nothing to do with tourists) but the area around my law school was a heck of a lot scarier than anyplace I've ever been before or since...

My heart goes out to the family of this woman, especially her young kids :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results