shape
carat
color
clarity

TUNGSTEN/TITANUM BAND

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

evilin

Rough_Rock
Is there any difference between those two metals??

evilin

Rough_Rock
oh and how u think whats better (bands for man) - titanum/tungsten or palladium?

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
tungsten i think is tougher, but i worry about him not being able to get it off in an emergency situation so after i get my ering i will be ordering him a titanium ring. ti is supposed to be alot harder than the golds but not as hard as those tungsten crabide rings. i think

avlis

Shiny_Rock
there is a big difference.. Ti is extremely light, while W is very dense and heavy. I have a W ring and it weights 10 grams (size 9.5) the metals have a different look to them as well. Ti can't be polished to a high gloss, but it can be created with some very interesting looks to it.

as for the whole "cant get it off in a emergency" thing... i have a hard time thinking of an emergency where the ring has to come off RIGHT NOW. that is not to say they cant be removed, they just require a different method than the standard ring cutter. The W ring will break before it bends.

tberube

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/20/2008 2:52:34 PM
Author: radiantquest
tungsten i think is tougher, but i worry about him not being able to get it off in an emergency situation so after i get my ering i will be ordering him a titanium ring. ti is supposed to be alot harder than the golds but not as hard as those tungsten crabide rings. i think

If I remember correctly, radiant, that''s actually what they say about titanium...the not being able to get it off. Not to mention I think it''s a myth anyway, because hospitals can cut off any kind of metal if they needed to.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I''ve had both titanium and tungsten bands. The titanium is very light, and holds it''s shape, but the surface gets scratched up easily. My DH has been wearing one for 5 years 24/7 and loves it, but it really shows the wear.

I have a tungsten band I wear when camping, housework, etc. They can take a lot of abuse and still look shiney and new. It''s very heavy, similar to platinum.

Both metals can be removed in case of an emergency. Titanium can be cut off with the same tools used for gold, and tungsten cand be shattered by vise-grips.

evilin

Rough_Rock
Thats a lil bit scary. So tungsten cant be scratched and looks all the time the same?? Is it possible? Woow if this is true, i can take a risk;-)

Scirocco84

Rough_Rock
MustangGal was right on. Titanium is about as strong and as hard as steel (Mohs: 6 for titanium 5.5 for Stainless), it's just it's light weight (about 45% lighter) that gives it it's reputation for extreme toughness and strength. It's not any more exotic in terms of material properties than some steel alloys, and most hospitals and emergency services have the ability to cut both metals. Some alloys can reach extreme tensile strengths (1380 MPa) but I doubt they would be used in ring making and cutting difficulty is a function of hardness anyway. Tungsten (Mohs: 7.5) and Tungsten carbide (Mohs: 8.5-9.0) is much harder than either, and subsequently works quite well for cutting tools.

Tungsten rings are generally made from powdered tungsten, which are formed with heat and pressure into rings. While extremely hard and nearly impossible to scratch, it is also very brittle, making it easy to shatter with enough force, such as from vice-grips. Tungsten is much more dense than gold or steel, with about 90% of the weight of Platimum. You can also check this out.

In my opinion, I don't think there are any real safety issues, at least no more than wearing rings in general.

evilin

Rough_Rock
thank u Scirocco84 very much!
21.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby has a Titatnium wedding band (and check out Bruce Boone at http://www.boonerings.com/ for fabulous prices and service on TI rings!) and he LOVES it. And Bruce is just a doll if you are looking for a vendor.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results