shape
carat
color
clarity

Tumi luggage?

tigian

Ideal_Rock
Anybody have any thoughts on Tumi luggage?
We have a couple Samsonite pieces that are great and durable, but I was thinking of a christmas gift for DH. I think the hard luggage is more stylish??? What do you think?
This is what I was thinking:
pTUMI1-7880536v400.jpg I'm not sold on the bronze color. It comes in black and silver as well.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like Tumi stuff, but it's overpriced. And their warranty supposedly isn't that great. I have a Tumi roll on that I love, but it started coming apart early...not sure if it was a defect. They fixed it as it was under warranty.

For the money, I'd do Briggs and Riley. Their warranty is second to none and even covers mishandling by the airlines!

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Love the looks of that hard sided Tumi it's a beauty. I'm with, TG, however, in that I haven't had great experiences with Tumi. For the price, I would expect them to last longer. There's so much to consider with luggage: How often does he travel? Are you looking for something that will fit in the overhead bin? If you need a bigger bag to check, the airlines charge extra if you go over the weight restrictions so look for the lightest bag. Etc. I did some research a while back and there was some good info on the Consumer Reports site and also on a frequent flyer site-flyertalk.com I think. TG is right that Briggs & Riley has an unsurpassed warranty-they replace it for any reason FOREVER!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
DH has a soft-sided Tumi carry-on, and it has both good and bad points. The good is that it's extremely well-balanced and easy to roll, and that the fabric has withstood him (and the airlines) beating the crap out of it for a few years. The bad is that one of the double zippers on the main compartment broke quite early on, luckily it was at the start of the zip so he could still use it. The company fixed it because it was under warranty, but he just barely got there in time -- the warranty is only 2 years.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
So good to hear opinions from PSers. I read online reviews, but give more weight to what you have all said so far.
I'll have to look at Briggs & Riley (I've never heard of the brand).
T-Gal: It's funny. I was reading about Tumi's warranty and thought it was not so great given the price for their pieces. Thanks for the suggestion and confirming my concerns.
Gayletmom: Well, DH doesn't travel too much. Maybe international twice a year and domestic twice a year? Plus our weekend trips. I picked the medium size, rather than the carry-on, so he could use it on a longer trip he has planned for 2 weeks in London and Dublin. I'll have to check out the frequent flyer site. Thanks!
Octavia: Thanks for your input. Looks like Tumi has some issues...
Thanks ladies!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
tigian|1291268736|2784896 said:
So good to hear opinions from PSers. I read online reviews, but give more weight to what you have all said so far.
T-Gal: It's funny. I was reading about Tumi's warranty and thought it was not so great given the price for their pieces. Thanks for the suggestion and confirming my concerns.
Gayletmom: Well, DH doesn't travel too much. Maybe international twice a year and domestic twice a year? Plus our weekend trips. I picked the medium size, rather than the carry-on, so he could use it on a longer trip he has planned for 2 weeks in London and Dublin. I'll have to check out the frequent flyer site. Thanks!
Thanks ladies!

If he's checking in, I'd get a B&R for sure. If it's for carry on all the time, you really don't need as sturdy of a bag. I carried a $50 cheapie for years...although it's a bummer when it breaks on you, always on the OUTBOUND flight.

B&Rs are basic, even ugly, bags. The handle is completely on the outside of the bag to give maximum packing capacity.

Honestly, for 4 trips a year, I'd get a decent piece of luggage at a local Marshalls/Ross/TJMaxx. I got my Travelpro large bag for $45. Total fluke, but can happen. And this is the good travelpro, not the lesser line (I forgot the names...I looked it up when I bought my bag)

I did get the B&R carry on because Amazon had a great price and I travel a lot for work.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1291269247|2784903 said:
tigian|1291268736|2784896 said:
Thanks ladies!

If he's checking in, I'd get a B&R for sure. If it's for carry on all the time, you really don't need as sturdy of a bag. I carried a $50 cheapie for years...although it's a bummer when it breaks on you, always on the OUTBOUND flight.

B&Rs are basic, even ugly, bags. The handle is completely on the outside of the bag to give maximum packing capacity.

Honestly, for 4 trips a year, I'd get a decent piece of luggage at a local Marshalls/Ross/TJMaxx. I got my Travelpro large bag for $45. Total fluke, but can happen. And this is the good travelpro, not the lesser line (I forgot the names...I looked it up when I bought my bag)

I did get the B&R carry on because Amazon had a great price and I travel a lot for work.
Yeah, we do have the practical luggage covered. I just thought it might make a nice gift...somewhat of a splurge, nice looking luggage that he wouldn't buy for himself. I guess I'll have to keep thinking of other gift ideas. ;(

diva rose

Shiny_Rock
How about Mandarin Duck?
http://shop.mandarinaduck.com

I have Tumi, Mandarin and Samsonite. Tumi - it's a red carry on travel bag which I love.
Mandarin and Samsonite trolley cases - which I also love. Samsonite is fantastic because it's practical plus we got one that is new/stylish.
Mandarin ducks looks pretty funky also.

tigian

Ideal_Rock
diva rose|1291271025|2784917 said:
How about Mandarin Duck?
http://shop.mandarinaduck.com

I have Tumi, Mandarin and Samsonite. Tumi - it's a red carry on travel bag which I love.
Mandarin and Samsonite trolley cases - which I also love. Samsonite is fantastic because it's practical plus we got one that is new/stylish.
Mandarin ducks looks pretty funky also.
Thanks, Diva.
I've never heard of Mandarina Duck. I just looked on their website and saw some really nice pieces. I'll have to do some comparing.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results