shape
carat
color
clarity

Tucson 2019

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never been but have wanted to go for years. I just find the websites overwhelming and confusing. Is there one “major” event or show that’s the one most PSers would recommend for gemstones?

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Gene, Yes, there was a thread a while back that I have now bumped...... you made the offer to meet up at the show. There were some other's that were making plans and hopefully they will see this now and join in. For me, I have family medical commitments that will prevent my trip this year. It will happen........but not this year for me.......THANK YOU for extending this opportunity to those that can attend!

snotty_pie

Shiny_Rock
Shoot, I think we'll just miss each other. I am planning on being there with my jeweler friend Feb 6 - 10.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is there one “major” event or show that’s the one most PSers would recommend for gemstones?
There are lots of events. I mean lots. Like zillions. It took a week for me to narrow them down and by then it was time to go home. I understand your confusion :wall:
This year I'm sticking to the top three. Riverpark Inn, 22nd Street and the one in the convention center (cant remember the name) Last year John Dyer's mom offered to get me into one of the trade only shows but I'm not counting on it...lol, do ya think she'll remember? (super nice lady!).
Actually, the very first thing I'll do is investigate if I can pay a fee and get into the trade only show. If not, then off to the Riverpark Inn.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There was a thread a few months back about Tucson. Anyone going ? Anyone interested in meeting up or dinner? I’m in town from Feb 1 to 5th.
Hi Gene! Yes, I'm interested! Hopefully there are others. You mentioned that we could follow you around one morning (as long as we don't dawdle) That would be awesome if the offer is still open. Dinner sounds great as well. I can't wait to meet you!
I'm going Feb 1st - 6th and I'm starting my marathon training RIGHT NOW. I've bought a FitBit and downloaded the app. Also practicing my non-dawdling skills. Anything else I should do?

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The GJX and AGTA show (at the convention center) start on Feb 5th, these two are both “For the Trade Only” shows. The are very strict about getting in. I normally don’t go to these as there is very little rough at them, and they start normally after I have already left. If you are looking for that $200,000 ruby, then these are the shows to go to.

Every year Jeff White and I have dinner at our favorite Mexican place, and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if others joined in. We haven’t set a date, but I’m guessing it will be Monday night.

I stay out by the airport this year. The hotels are there are often overlooked and rooms may still be available. It’s only a short drive into town where most of the shows are.

Day time temperatures are usually in the 70’s but it does get cold at night, and heavy rains to happen every now an then. So come prepared.

Bring some cash. A lot of the small vendors will only take cash, and there are treasures to be found from these places. You may want to travel with a larger suitcase than you need, as there’s a lot more than just gemstones at these shows, and you may find you wished you had room to take some exotic thing home.

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ah Tucson,

Haven't been since 2016. Maybe next year. Keep the faith, Gene.

Richard

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The GJX and AGTA show (at the convention center) start on Feb 5th, these two are both “For the Trade Only” shows. The are very strict about getting in. I normally don’t go to these as there is very little rough at them, and they start normally after I have already left. If you are looking for that $200,000 ruby, then these are the shows to go to.

Every year Jeff White and I have dinner at our favorite Mexican place, and I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if others joined in. We haven’t set a date, but I’m guessing it will be Monday night.

I stay out by the airport this year. The hotels are there are often overlooked and rooms may still be available. It’s only a short drive into town where most of the shows are.

Day time temperatures are usually in the 70’s but it does get cold at night, and heavy rains to happen every now an then. So come prepared.

Bring some cash. A lot of the small vendors will only take cash, and there are treasures to be found from these places. You may want to travel with a larger suitcase than you need, as there’s a lot more than just gemstones at these shows, and you may find you wished you had room to take some exotic thing home.
Thanks for sharing your experience. In general, how much cash is sufficient to buy rough stones? I am a foreigner I am afraid I will lose the cash. What tools should I bring to look at stones in the show?Thanks.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I don't really recommend people to buy rough. Rough is way more difficult to buy than cut stones and often you need to buy parcels that can be well over $10,000. Some of the best rough is not actually in the shows, but through contacts and viewed in hotel rooms and parking lots.

For buying cut stones, the most important thing to bring is your eyes, and also a loupe. Colored stones are judged for clarity by eye, and it's important to see the stone in various lighting, which is easy to do when at the shows. Be mindful of what kind of light the show has, and if possible take the stone outdoors to see the true color.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s too last minute for me to go now. New work schedule came out too that makes it rough. But I’m going to start making plans to go next year and incorporate all this sage advice!

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don't really recommend people to buy rough. Rough is way more difficult to buy than cut stones and often you need to buy parcels that can be well over $10,000. Some of the best rough is not actually in the shows, but through contacts and viewed in hotel rooms and parking lots.

For buying cut stones, the most important thing to bring is your eyes, and also a loupe. Colored stones are judged for clarity by eye, and it's important to see the stone in various lighting, which is easy to do when at the shows. Be mindful of what kind of light the show has, and if possible take the stone outdoors to see the true color.
Thank you.

micellular

Rough_Rock
Trade
I'm mostly a lurker on this forum (as a budding jewelry collector and novice hobby faceter), but will be in Tucson 1/31-2/5 and would love to meet you! Gene, the stones on your website were what first got me looking into and collecting precision faceted stones 5 years ago, and inspiration for my own baby cutting journey.

- Michelle

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Michelle, and anyone else who wants to meet up in Tucson, email me, and we can make arrangements.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results