shape
carat
color
clarity

Tsavorite Garnet Ring

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
This is a Tsavorite Garnet ring I took some photographs of. I liked both the design and the stone which hasn''t happened too often so far (usually just one or the other). Looking forward to some opinions from fellow PS''ers.
1.gif

1.00 ct Oval Cut Tsavorite Garnet In 14k White Gold With 0.50 cttw Diamonds

100-tsavorite-garnet-001.jpg

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
This was an out-of-focus shot but it was the best one I had from this angle.
8.gif

100-tsavorite-garnet-006.jpg

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
Back to in-focus. I liked this photo because of the way the light showed in the gem.

100-tsavorite-garnet-003.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you're looking for opinions, if the color of the tsavorite is identical to the photos, it looks to be dark and greyish to me. I do know how difficult it is to photograph these stones though, so perhpas it's just the camera's fault. Sorry.

ETA: It's also difficult to tell the quality of the diamonds from your photo.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mhovingh are these yours or do you work (or like visiting) where these gems are sold? I''m curious because I know you''ve mentioned that you wished you could buy one before? Sorry just being nosey!!!

In terms of the Tsavorite I have to agree with TL. It''s incredibly dark. If you have time, do a search on this forum and you''ll find some amazing Tsavs.

I like the design of the ring and have an Alexandrite set into a very similar setting.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Maybe it is just my monitor, but I am not seeing the gray.

I actually like the really dark, saturated color. I would want to see it in real life under the sun to be sure. If it doesn''t get any darker than that under other lighting then you may have to fight me for the stone (ring isn''t my style)
31.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the tsav is dark but I don''t see any gray either. I think 1-2 shades lighter and it would look really fantastic.

-A

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''m no expert but it does look dark to me too.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would be worried about the prong. It may just be the angle, ut it seems like the notch is cut way too deep, which could make it fragile.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s desaturated color, and very dark in tone, so that''s where I see grey.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yeah the prongs that hold the center stone look...not good. Like a bigger stone was in there before, but also like they could snap if the right pressure was on it.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry but I believe in being honest..and this is a setting job I personally would not be comfortable / happy with. I do not believe the prongs holding the tsav have been finished correctly at all.

Sorry mhovingh if this is not what you want to hear, but you did ask for opinions
7.gif

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hadn''t noticed the prongs when I posted before but it made me go and look at the setting that I have that''s similar to see if mine had been made in the same way. Thicker, wider prongs are quite common in the UK so I wondered if mine was the same. They''re actually not (see below) and that made me think that your ring would actually benefit from having the prongs made a lot thinner - so the ring becomes more delicate.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 3:38:11 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I hadn''t noticed the prongs when I posted before but it made me go and look at the setting that I have that''s similar to see if mine had been made in the same way. Thicker, wider prongs are quite common in the UK so I wondered if mine was the same. They''re actually not (see below) and that made me think that your ring would actually benefit from having the prongs made a lot thinner - so the ring becomes more delicate.
Ditto this.

I like tsavs that are a little darker than the ideal, but this one looks extremely dark to me, I would guess it would be almost black in incandescent light.

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
thritto to Pandora and Loving.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2010 8:10:09 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
thritto to Pandora and Loving.

quadritto

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
tourmaline_lover - The diamonds are SI-1 G-H. Sorry about forgetting to put that in the original post. As for the "greyish" issue, I am still new to this so I am wondering if you mean you see actual gray coloring in the stone or if that is a term to describe something regarding the stone. In person, it has no actual gray color. I would appreciate it if you could let me know what you meant (in the plainest terms possible) or if someone else could explain the "greyish" issue to me. If you have one, I will also gladly take a simple link to a resource that explains what you are referring to with "greyish". Thanks.
1.gif

LovingDiamonds - Regarding "mhovingh are these yours or do you work (or like visiting) where these gems are sold?", I am working with a couple jewelers to help them get an online business going. I guess the best way to describe my position would be as a jewelry broker, if that makes sense. As far as it being incredibly dark, I am hoping I can get some new pictures soon of this piece now that I have learned more about photographing jewelry (and green gems in paticular). The stone is not as dark in person as it is in the pictures I posted already and hopefully *fingers crossed* I can get some more true-to-life shots for you.

Lady_Disdain / soberguy / FrekeChild - I checked with the shop on this and they double-checked the prongs to make sure they would be stable. Thanks for pointing the prong concern out so I could have it checked as it would not have been a good thing to have it sold and the happy owner become unhappy when they lost the stone due to prong failure.

arjunajane - I am happy to hear all opinions. Don''t worry about making me mad, sad, or scaring me away, I am just here to learn and consider opinions from people who love jewelry to be a valuable part of that learning.
9.gif

Pandora II - The pictures here were taken in a light box with filtered incandescent lighting (2 lights, 20 watts each) and white balance set for incandescent on the camera.

I have a couple more pics that I didn''t post before because of some pc issues and then PS undergoing the attempted update starting before I got my pc issues sorted. Sorry they are late, but here they are... better than never, right? ^_^

100-tsavorite-garnet-002.jpg

mhovingh

Rough_Rock
Here is the other one.

100-tsavorite-garnet-004.jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Not a fan of the color of the stone - it reminds me of some of the really cheap stones I got from eBay that I tossed to the side.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
I am a fan of GREEN GEMS...this green has a steely feel to it..it will be wonderful to be more intense..

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
i see that little bit of nice green flashing out in the pic you mentioned, MH..does it flash that nice green when moved around in the light?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2010 10:00:39 PM
Author: mhovingh
tourmaline_lover - The diamonds are SI-1 G-H. Sorry about forgetting to put that in the original post. As for the 'greyish' issue, I am still new to this so I am wondering if you mean you see actual gray coloring in the stone or if that is a term to describe something regarding the stone. In person, it has no actual gray color. I would appreciate it if you could let me know what you meant (in the plainest terms possible) or if someone else could explain the 'greyish' issue to me. If you have one, I will also gladly take a simple link to a resource that explains what you are referring to with 'greyish'. Thanks.

Grey is a modifier that appears when a cool hued gem lacks saturation of color. It's green right? Well, if you compare it to a green stone with stronger saturation of color, then the grey will be much more evident. It takes viewing many gems to get an eye for saturation of color and to see the modifier. For example, if you were to compare that to a fine tsavorite, in a medium to medium dark tone (level of lightness or darkness in a stone), the grey would stick out like a sore thumb. There are many examples of fine tsavorites on this board, and I welcome you to look at them so you can understand better what I'm talking about. Besides that stone is so dark in tone (I would say true dark tone) that it almost goes black and kills the color. I personally go out of my way to avoid stones of dark to very dark tone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I view the colour of the tsavorite as very dark and desaturated (gray). Even if the lighting condition is poor, the tsavorite should never darken that much and appear lifeless. I suggest using OTT lites for a truer colour display.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
I agree with most already said above, but would only like to add that the white metal doesen''t serve this stone justice IMO, cause it probably only accentuates the overly dark tone of color in the stone. If I''d really like the piece, I''d consider getting some YG details on it (maybe just the prongs), to lessen the strong contrast between the color of the stone and that of the metal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results