shape
carat
color
clarity

Trying to figure out ring finger size, based on middle finger size

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stretch

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend only wears one ring, and it fits perfectly on her middle finger. I am looking at buying an e-ring, and was trying to figure out what her ring finger size is. I have figured her middle finger size to be a 7.

I know all people are different, but I was hoping to get an idea of the relationship between the two sizes. Can anyone give me an idea of what size ring they wear on their middle finger and their ring finger? Or what their best guess is at my gf''s ring finger size?

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
Hopefully this may help...

As for my left hand, I wear a size 6 on my middle finger. I just had my "ring" finger sized and it's a 5 1/2. Thus being 1/2 size smaller. Although my right hand fingers are a tad bit bigger - they still only differ by 1/2 size.

In conclusion, I'd think it was safe to get the ring in a 6 or 6 1/2. At least going bigger she can wear it - what a nightmare to give a ring she can't get on her finger...bigger is safe, then she can at least wear it until you can resize. She'll want to show it off immediately so as long as she can slip it on your safe.

Another bit of information... I have learned through ring shopping that women tend to buy rings that are too big for them...so if she's wearing a 7 on the middle...and you get a 6 or 6 1/2 for her "e" ring...you should be safe.

Good Luck!

~Lisa

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
Eh, it varies a LOT based on your knuckles and so forth. I have a ring that's 1/2-3/4 size too big for my left ring finger, and it won't even come close to going over the knuckles on my middle finger. I know people whose fingers are almost the same size, like yours.

The upshot is that if you're going to do this you should either a) do it with a temporary setting that you're planning to replace or b) make sure your setting can be radically resized. When you resize a ring too far diamonds in the setting will not stay in very well, and the shape of the ring can be comprimised (depending on how good your benchman is).

Stretch

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I know I really need to find a more accurate way to do this. It is tough though because she doesn't even know her ring finger size, so I know none of her friends or family do. Even knowing her middle finger size is a "guess" on my part...I measured the circumference while she wasn't wearing it.

I may just have to try to get her sized without provoking suspicion. It'll be tricky, but probably doable. You know, while passing a jewelry store at the mall, start looking at rings for guys and say "I'm curious what my ring size is." And then after I find out, "Let's see what you are." Something along those lines.

Or I could go buy a ring sizer, slip some sleeping pills in her food, and go for it. ;O)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
People have often recommended enlisting the help of her best girlfriend or sister. Of course, that means telling her best girlfriend or sister that you're going to propose, which might not be such a good idea, depending on the blabbermouth factor.

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
I have to say, as a girl in a relationship...it would be very evident if at any point in the relationship my SO (even in a tricky way) had us stop by a jewelry store and happen to walk out knowing our ring sizes... It would be a clear sign what he was up to. She may play like she doesn't have a clue, but I bet she'd put 2 & 2 together. There's just no way I wouldn't have picked up on that.

I have a suggestion. This requires a small purchase, but you kill 2 birds with one stone so to speak. I'd go out and buy her an inexpensive costume jewelry type ring (something along the lines that she might wear or appreciate) as a sweet gesture. Please be advised NOT to put this in a ring box - she might get a little confused if you know what I mean
2.gif
Anyway, get it in a 1/2 size or full size smaller than her middle finger. She'll probably be ablidged even if she doesn't normally wear a lot of jewelry - and put it on immediately...at least to show her thanks and see how it looks. This will likely be too small for her middle and pointer fingers - so she'll have to try it on the other "ring" fingers...you'll be able to tell based on this if this smaller size actually fits those fingers. If she gets it on her "ring" finger easily..you could say, "is that too big?"..."is it too small?"..."I could get you another" size..." etc. etc. She'd most likely not think a thing of it and you score points for being thoughtful on a random day!

Does this make sense? You don't have to spend a lot of money here...you can get a nice trendy ring ($20)at a local department store in any size...to fit any taste
1.gif
If you need ideas on a way to casually give it to her..let me know.

~Lisa

Rowan

Shiny_Rock
Stretch the others have had some great suggestions.
1.gif
For me, my middle finger is much fatter than my ring finger. I'm a 5.5 on the left ring finger and a 7.5-8 on my middle finger. You probably wouldn't be too far off with a 6. Look at her fingers. Do they look close in size? When you look at mine you can definately see the difference between my middle and forefinger and my ring finger. But maybe I just have weird fingers.
2.gif

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
You can't really see the difference in mine much... it's only a small part of the finger that's really different.

Yet another thing to keep in mind: unless she's ambidexterous (and to a certain extent left-handed counts for this), she's quite likely to have different sized fingers on different hands, from what people have said on this board. She's also very unlikely to put that ring on her left-hand ring finger, especially in front of you, given the symbolism. (Or so I assume... my mother yelled at me every time I put a ring on there!)

lsmathis1

Shiny_Rock
In reference to the comment from Chialea, it's a possibility that she wouldn't automatically put it on her "e" ring finger...BUT, it just might work. At least you could try it and see - it can't hurt!

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
I agree with Ismathis on this one. It's best not to just guess. I have lots of customers that do that and are invariably off by a size or two. Malls have those cheap silver rings on the carts in the middle of the aisleway. If you find one with cats or horses or whatever she fancies, try on matching ones for fun or have a friend of hers agree to do it. They aren't perfectly round since they are silver, but they will be a lot closer than guessing will get you.

Stretch

Rough_Rock
OK, so this weekend my girlfriend had a hair rubberband around "the" finger while talking on the phone. I pretended I was playing with it and I got a pretty good circumference measurement. She wasn't the wiser. It is tough to tell exactly, since just 1 mm here or there can mean a different size. But I believe I am going with a 6.5 size. I'd rather get a bigger size than a smaller. If I were going to get the Tiffany-style platinum 6 prong, would it be that difficult or noticeable if we did have to reduce it to say a size 6?

I am getting very close to the diamond purchase (maybe today!). I had one other question. Has anyone bought a diamond from say whiteflash or bluenile and used their "independent" appraisal for insurance purposes? I'm having a hard time finding a good appraiser in my area and this would save a lot of time if I could trust it. I could also get it shipped set in the stone. Has anyone done this? What are your recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results