shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump Says McCain Is Not A War Hero

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Donald Trump has said that John McCain is not a war hero. (Not because of an ideological position he held about the war in Vietnam and whether the United States should have been propping up the South Vietnamese regime, mind you. Had this criticism com from Bill Ayers, who would probably not have been mean-spirited enough to have said such a thing, I would have understood it.)

The criticism came because, although John McCain was acting in the line of duty as a naval aviator and was gravely injured-fracturing two legs and two arms when he ejected from his plane-and then spent five years in captivity in North Vietnam undergoing torture, this does not make him a hero in the eyes of Donald Trump.

Donald trump fills me with disgust on so many levels that I would find it hard to enumerate them. I just hope that the American people have enough wisdom left not to elect this shell of a human being.

Link to one source on the topic...http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/18/politics/donald-trump-john-mccain-war-hero/

AGBF
:read:

Efe

Brilliant_Rock
Trump is a narcissistic twit and has zero chance of getting the nomination. I have chosen to ignore him.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Effe|1437320280|3904807 said:
Trump is a narcissistic twit and has zero chance of getting the nomination. I have chosen to ignore him.

Since you are writing about your personal choice, I certainly do not plan to argue with you. There are many times when each of us makes the choice to ignore something.

I cannot seem to ignore this. Although I am not even a Republican and will not be voting in a primary that includes these men, I am affronted as an American. Every time that another liberal (for I am a liberal) points out some of John McCain's flaws (from the liberal point of view), I remember how he, alone, among Republicans stood up against the torture of foreign nationals held as POWs in Guantanamo. The Geneva Accords have to be respected by the signatories-all of them-or they leave members of our military, like Senator McCain, at risk of torture.

Of course one can argue that "the bad guys" will torture "our guys" anyway. But it is so much better if we can hold the moral high ground and know we are not lying when we say that we do not torture. I respect John McCain, Republican or not.

AGBF

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to see Fiorina vs Clinton in the final, but that ain't gonna happen.
I nominate Holly S for Prez in 2016... :lol:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1437605089|3906279 said:

I don't want that crap job. ;))

Trump is an affront to the whole of humanity, as Deb has said. Hopefully, this debacle of a campaign will be his swan song and we will finally be free of his ego, hubris and tackiness on the world stage. Please, God.

At the same time, could we please finally be free of Hillary with this run for the White House? That'd be fabulous.

I'd vote for Fiorina. So far, she hasn't done anything stupid . . . I don't think. But it's a long time until Nov '16.

You would think Trump would parcel out his stupid a little at a time, over the next year, instead of begging for a sensational headline every day at this point.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1437674378|3906581 said:

Trump is an affront to the whole of humanity, as Deb has said. Hopefully, this debacle of a campaign will be his swan song and we will finally be free of his ego, hubris and tackiness on the world stage. Please, God.

At the same time, could we please finally be free of Hillary with this run for the White House? That'd be fabulous.

I'd vote for Fiorina. So far, she hasn't done anything stupid . . . I don't think. But it's a long time until Nov '16.

You would think Trump would parcel out his stupid a little at a time, over the next year, instead of begging for a sensational headline every day at this point.

In the interests of a political thread without fighting, I would like to say that if I do not agree with everything Holly posted, that I agree with her on the big issue: Donald Trump. I actually even hate to mention his name again as it continues to give him publicity, for that is all he wants. I would rather give it to Senator McCain, who is a brave and principled man.

Deb/AGBF

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump can say anything he wants b/c he knows he will not be nominated.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I'm an Army brat.

Dad grew up poor, living on a farm that someone else owned. He joined the Army at 18 to travel the world. He was a cook first and then reinlisted in the motor pool/mechanics area. He worked hard and earned the highest non-commissioned officer rank of Sgt Major. He retired after 30 years and received the Military Funeral Honors when he passed away.

My father was not a POW but he saw his fair share of war "stuff" including, while hiding from the VietCong, seeing a female civilian who was standing with them be shot in the head. At the time, he was the General's driver but that didn't mean he was "safe."

ANYONE in any branch of the service is a hero, no matter their rank, function, nationality, gender, sexuality, etc. PERIOD.

No matter if I'm a democrat or republican, I have lost all respect for Trump. He has never fought for our country so I feel he has no footing to say if someone in the service is or isn't a hero. :nono:

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
UrsTx|1437703599|3906780 said:
I'm an Army brat.

Dad grew up poor, living on a farm that someone else owned. He joined the Army at 18 to travel the world. He was a cook first and then reinlisted in the motor pool/mechanics area. He worked hard and earned the highest non-commissioned officer rank of Sgt Major. He retired after 30 years and received the Military Funeral Honors when he passed away.

My father was not a POW but he saw his fair share of war "stuff" including, while hiding from the VietCong, seeing a female civilian who was standing with them be shot in the head. At the time, he was the General's driver but that didn't mean he was "safe."

ANYONE in any branch of the service is a hero, no matter their rank, function, nationality, gender, sexuality, etc. PERIOD.

No matter if I'm a democrat or republican, I have lost all respect for Trump. He has never fought for our country so I feel he has no footing to say if someone in the service is or isn't a hero. :nono:

I'll add to my own post that Dad also experienced some good things in the Army. He met Mom in Viet Nam, married her, and had my sister and me. Dad never talked about his bad military experiences with us girls. We only found out about all the things he kept to himself when we went through his paperwork after he passed away. That also makes him a HERO to me, the fact that he didn't want his daughters to know how bad war really was/is. :cry:

I just wish Trump would stop talking.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1437674378|3906581 said:

I do, but I'm not qualify to be a U.S. Prez... ;(

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
UrsTx|1437704849|3906790 said:

I hear where you are coming from and honor your position. I most certainly honor your father and his service. I did not feel this way during the Vietnam War. I am afraid that I placed blame on my fellow Americans who disagreed with me and wanted to go to war in Vietnam. You must remember that the men who went to war were the people with whom I went to school and socialized, not strangers. Many boys/men I knew were sent to Vietnam, where I wrote letters to them. Some came back ill. One boy I had dated caught malaria there and eventually died from complications of it back here in the States. But at the time I felt that they should "know better" than to support the corrupt a South Vietnamese regime that the United States was propping up. It was an ugly time in US society and politics. And I was young, stupid, and judgmental.

My father, although an army veteran of World War II who served overseas in war zones for most of his time in the army (1942-1946), does not want military honors-to which he is entitled-at his funeral. He became a pacifist during the Vietnam War. That does not mean that he does not honor veterans and mourn their losses, however. No one reads the newspapers with more sorrow than my father.

Deb/AGBF

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1437696299|3906736 said:

I beg to differ. I think he has an ego big enough to actually believe he has a mandate from the public to run and to win. He fully expects to be neck and neck with somebody right down to the wire for the nomination. He sees himself as POTUS. Absolutely.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1438925017|3912069 said:
Dancing Fire|1437696299|3906736 said:

I beg to differ. I think he has an ego big enough to actually believe he has a mandate from the public to run and to win. He fully expects to be neck and neck with somebody right down to the wire for the nomination. He sees himself as POTUS. Absolutely.

What follows is excerpted from an article in, "The New York Times":

Donald J. Trump’s suggestion that a Fox News journalist had questioned him forcefully at the Republican presidential debate because she was menstruating cost him a speaking slot Saturday night at an influential gathering of conservatives in Atlanta. It also raised new questions about how much longer Republican Party leaders would have to contend with Mr. Trump’s disruptive presence in the primary field.

Continuing his complaints about Megyn Kelly, one of the moderators of the debate, in an interview on CNN Friday night, Mr. Trump said, “You could see there was blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.” The remark prompted Erick Erickson, the leader of RedState, the conservative group, to disinvite him.

“If your standard-bearer has to resort to that,” Mr. Erickson told hundreds of conservative activists in a packed Atlanta hotel ballroom on Saturday, “we need a new standard-bearer.”

...​

Carly Fiorina, the former Hewlett-Packard chief executive, who delivered perhaps the most assertive turn in Thursday’s debate among the candidates trailing in the polls, posted on Twitter: “Mr. Trump: There. Is. No. Excuse.” Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina went further, saying, “Enough already with Mr. Trump.”

...​
“Trump isn’t and wasn’t going to get the conservative vote,” Joseph W. McQuaid, publisher of the Union Leader newspaper in New Hampshire, said in an email. “Conservative Republicans are worried about their party, but it’s still their party. Trump isn’t philosophically a conservative, and that will come out.”

“Trump’s base is more the people who used to have season tickets to the Roman Colosseum,” Mr. McQuaid wrote. “Not sure that they vote in great numbers, but they like blood sport.”

Even before Friday night, prominent Republican women said they were worried about how female voters would respond to Mr. Trump’s prominence on the debate stage, where he defended imprecations like “fat pigs” and “bimbo” to describe women — and his rivals did not chide him.

But Mr. Trump’s comment Friday night about Ms. Kelly caused a new bout of consternation among senior Republican leaders, who saw it as the latest distraction from the business of choosing a presidential candidate who can return the White House to the party in 2016.

“We need to nominate somebody who can win, somebody who is substantive and somebody who knows how to govern,” said former Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire. “But we can’t have that debate in the full jacket as long as we’re sidetracked off on this Trump exercise. It does undermine our ability to have a substantive debate. All the substantive arguments are being muted by his persona.”

Still, Mr. Gregg said that while RedState was wise to bar him from its event, the party would only “make him an even larger figure” by trying to keep him out of future debates. “He’d love that,” Mr. Gregg said. “He loves when institutional forces take him on. That’s part of his shtick.”

He added: “The campaign is serious, but his campaign isn’t. It’s entertainment. What’s the line of decency in the entertainment world? It’s pretty far out there.”

Some in the party have mused privately about using Mr. Trump’s refusal to rule out an independent bid as grounds to bar him from future debates, but there is deep concern that such a heavy-handed effort would only prod him into pursuing such a run.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It would be a shocker if Trump is nominated by the Republican Party .. :-o I guess anything is possible since Obama came out of nowhere to become the Prez of the U.S. in 2008

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As someone from another country watching this whole election race, I can't help but want Deez Nuts to win. I remember seeing the news report and thinking how this person is getting numbers that independent candidates could only dream of :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results