shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump-Racist-Can We Send Him Back To His Penthouse?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This article tells a story about Trump, an attack on Congressman Elijah Cummings, that disgusts me more than anything else he has done to date. No, that isn't possible. He has driven me crazy at last. Just read what that evil man has now said about Congressman Cummings and, of course, black people in general. I'd like to send Trump back to his penthouse in Trump Tower...without any presidential power, of course. I hope that goes without saying! Excerpts from the article are below as is a link to it.

"WASHINGTON — President Trump lashed out at a leading African-American congressman on Saturday, calling him 'a brutal bully' who represents a Baltimore-based district that has become a 'disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess' where 'no human being would want to live.'

Mr. Trump’s attack on Representative Elijah E. Cummings, a Democrat from Maryland and leading critic of the president, parroted a segment that aired earlier in the morning on 'Fox & Friends.' The president suggested that the congressman was a hypocrite for criticizing conditions in migrant detention centers at the southwestern border when his own district is blighted. Mr. Trump also made a vague and unsubstantiated insinuation of corruption.

'Rep, Elijah Cummings has been a brutal bully, shouting and screaming at the great men & women of Border Patrol about conditions at the Southern Border, when actually his Baltimore district is FAR WORSE and more dangerous,' Mr. Trump wrote. 'His district is considered the Worst in the USA.' He went on: 'Cumming District is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess. If he spent more time in Baltimore, maybe he could help clean up this very dangerous & filthy place.'"

"Mr. Cummings responded on Twitter shortly afterward, saying that he was a vigorous advocate for his district. 'Mr. President, I go home to my district daily,' he wrote. 'Each morning, I wake up, and I go and fight for my neighbors. It is my constitutional duty to conduct oversight of the Executive Branch. But, it is my moral duty to fight for my constituents.'

The congressman pointed to a hearing that he held on Friday on his effort to legislate lower drug prices, which would help his Baltimore constituents. 'You told me then that you supported the legislation and that you would work with me to make it happen,' Mr. Cummings said, still addressing the president. 'I took you at your word.'"

"Mayor Bernard C. Young of Baltimore also reacted angrily, saying in a statement that it was 'completely unacceptable' to 'denigrate a vibrant American City like Baltimore.' He added, 'Mr. Trump, you are a disappointment to the people of Baltimore, our country and the world.'

Mr. Trump’s Twitter assault came shortly after 'Fox & Friends' aired a segment Saturday morning assailing Mr. Cummings for focusing on migrants more than his own urban constituents. As video footage showed boarded-up houses and trash-strewn areas of Baltimore, the Fox television host said that 'living conditions at the border are better than most areas in his district.'

The video was shot by Kimberly Klacik, a Republican strategist from Baltimore who is African-American and was interviewed on the segment assailing Mr. Cummings. She later rejected the idea that criticism of him and how he represents his district was racist.

She wrote on Twitter that 'it is so sad' to interpret turning 'the light currently shining on #WestBaltimore into a race issue,' adding that Mr. Cummings 'could help get his district in order.'

Mr. Cummings’s district is 53 percent African-American, according to the census, and includes much of Baltimore as well as vast suburban stretches. Baltimore has struggled with crime in recent years, recording more murders in 2017 than any other city of at least 500,000 residents — and more even than New York, a vastly larger city.

Mr. Trump has a history of characterizing predominantly black areas or African nations in terms like 'filthy.' During his 2016 campaign, he portrayed black communities as unremittingly grim. 'You’re living in your poverty, your schools are no good, you have no jobs,' he said at one rally, arguing that African-Americans should give him a chance. 'What the hell do you have to lose?'

When Representative John Lewis, a Democrat from Georgia considered a hero of the civil rights era, said he would not attend Mr. Trump’s inauguration in January 2017, the incoming president said that the congressman 'should spend more time on fixing and helping his district, which is in horrible shape and falling apart.' Mr. Trump disparaged Haiti and African nations last year using vulgar language, asking why the United States should want immigrants from them."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/27/us/politics/trump-elijah-cummings.html

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If Trump isn't a wake up call to make big chsnges to how we govern I don't know what will be. Like, how is gerrymandering ok? Why do people fall for divisiveness when most people agree on basic things that our leaders keep failing to provide? Why do we put up with this BS?

I was listening to this episode of freakanomics earlier and it crystallizes a lot of what feels wrong to me about our politics. The biggest challenge isn't getting the right person in the white house but getting the system to do its job of advocating for the people imho. If we start there, i don't think we'll be stuck with such a disgrace again.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/politics-industry-rebroadcast/

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Charles M. Blow wrote an Op.ed piece in "The New York Times" that nicely summarizes Donald Trump's multitude of uses for the word "infestation" as he can apply it to black and brown people. Excerpts and a link to Mr. Blow's piece are below.

"It seems maddeningly repetitive to have to return time and again to the fact that Donald Trump is a racist, but it must be done. It must be done because it is a foundational character issue, one that supersedes and informs many others, in much the same way that his sexism and xenophobia does.

On Saturday, Trump tweeted that Representative Elijah Cummings’s district 'is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess,' a 'very dangerous & filthy place' and 'No human being would want to live there.' Cummings is black, as are most people in his district.

This talk of infestation is telling, because he only seems to apply it to issues concerning black and brown people. He has sniped about the 'Ebola infested areas of Africa.' He has called Congressman John Lewis’s Atlanta district 'crime infested' as well as telling him to focus on 'the burning and crime infested inner-cities of the U.S.' He has called sanctuary cities a 'crime infested & breeding concept.' He has talked about how 'illegal immigrants' will 'pour into and infest our Country.' He has called the presence of the MS-13 gang members 'in certain parts of our country' an 'infestation.'

None of this is about crime as a discrete phenomenon, but rather about inextricably linking criminality to blackness. White supremacy isn’t necessarily about rendering white people as superhuman; it is just as often about rendering nonwhite people as subhuman. Either way the hierarchy is established, with whiteness assuming the superior position."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/28/opinion/trump-racist-baltimore.html

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congressman Cummings’ BM’S have more intelligence than that pitiful excuse for a world leader.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Below are a few of the many comments posted by readers of Mr. Blow's essay. These are among some of the replies by readers that were selected by "The New York Times" itself. I often find the comments thoughtful.

D
Diana
Centennial8h ago
Times Pick
I was born and grew up in what is arguably the most racist state in this country - Alabama. I can bear witness to what racism at its worst can do. I lived in Alabama during the upheaval of the Civil Rights struggle. Lynchings were accepted, cross burnings were not viewed as the terrorist threat they were and remain, fire hoses and dogs were turned on people who peacefully demonstrated, civil rights leaders were slain, and then came the Sunday morning when the little girls were killed in the church bombing. That is forever etched into my heart and soul. In the face of it all, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and his followers with dignity and immense courage, fought for and claimed their civil rights. The struggle never stopped, but for one brief moment I thought we had turned a corner when President Obama was elected. I was wrong. Trump has resurrected the Confederate Flag waving South and has encouraged and inflamed racism with every opportunity he gets. He and his fellow Republicans (by their silence ) are advocates for the malignancy racism is, and it is metastasizing rapidly. If we do not excise this cancer in 2020, the clock will be firmly reset to the 1950's when racism was open, acceptable, and deadly. The very soul of our nation is at stake, and I will vote for whoever is selected as the Democratic candidate.

K
KEM
Maine8h ago
Times Pick
Mr. Blow nails the idea of racism as the manifestation of one groups feeling of superiority over another. Time and again pundits have claimed trump stokes the fears of "the other" amongst his white, cult followers. Fear of brown skin people coming to take their jobs and change their way of life. Nonsense. In truth, he hasn't stoked their fears, but their sense of superiority. The chants of "send her back" proves the point. History will not be kind to those whose silence perpetuates the clear and dangerous racism of trump.

markymark
Lafayette, CA8h ago
Times Pick
Criminal Trump's ongoing racism isn't the least bit surprising. The fact that the republican party has completely adopted his overt racism as part of the official party platform is both surprising and very, very troubling. This is nothing he can say or do that will cause them to question his fitness for office. He's packed a conservative supreme court to protect him from scrutiny. He hired his criminal attorney general as his personal lawyer. He's acting like he's invincible because apparently, he is.

S
Saba
Albany9h ago
Times Pick
More than criminality, I think. I remember that, in the 1950s, the racists in my Virginia hometown feared that their all-white town swimming pool would have to accommodate persons of other races. The objection -- they have diseases that whites do not have. So, according to the racists, blacks were diseased and dirty and, therefore, dangerous. Crime was nonexistent in the town, so criminality could not have been the sticking point. Trump has latched onto the dirt and disease theme.

R
RM
Asheville, NCJuly 29
Times Pick
Yes, Trump is racist. That is beyond any kind of objective doubt. The problem isn't Trump. It the 40 million odd people who back him. Prior to 2016 I would never have imagined the breath of racism in our country. Yes, as an "old white man" I knew some who were, but I always believed them to be the minor few. Yes, we need to vote Trump out of office, but removing him will not transform 40 million people to a new world view. These people have a Them vs. Us mentality that believes in the nature of someone dominates the nurture of the environment they have been exposed to even though the hatred they feel is mostly something they've been taught by the Republican propaganda machine. What we need to recognize is that Trump is a reflection of the right-wing conservative machine not that Trump is the source of the problem. What is the Democratic party and its candidates proposing to counter that?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The worst part of the past two and a half years has been the fact that this President has so many supporters no matter how cruel, hateful and racist he acts. The only thing that would surprise me at this point would be if Trump acted like a kind compassionate human being for one day.

It’s deeply disturbing that Republican politicians remained silent while Trump attacked Elijah Cummings. As always, Elijah Cummings acted like a class act and a good decent man.

It makes me sad to be an American. This is who we are. We elected him knowing exactly who he is. There are far fewer good people in the country than I believed there were.

Andy Tan

Rough_Rock
We shouldn't put more attention to DT as its what he wants, or his team wants.

Remember - a bad publicity is a publicity.

Let's put more attention to animals, global warming, mother nature! :saint:

Best,

Andy

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Posting crime statistics doesn't make Trump any less of a racist sexist homophobic dickhead, what point are you trying to make?
The cities with the highest crime rate are run by D Mayors. Unless the Dem party can come up with better policies then there's no chance they'll win back the Presidency in 2020. Calling Trump a racist sexist homophobic dickhead ain't gonna do it.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cities with the highest crime rate are run by D Mayors. Unless the Dem party can come up with better policies then there's no chance they'll win back the Presidency in 2020. Calling Trump a racist sexist homophobic dickhead ain't gonna do it.

Well he isn't doing it either!!! As far as I can see both sides need to come up with better policies to reduce crime, the point I'm making is being a racist, sexist, homophobic dickhead first and foremost isn't helping anyone on either side achieve that.

If Trump openly said he hates all Asians are you still going to vote for him? I'm half Asian btw so that isn't a racist insult directed at you personally it's a general comment.

The problem I personally have DF with an openly racist, sexist President is that he legitimises every other person in the world to think it is acceptable to think that way, and to treat people that way. Racism and sexism is NOT acceptable and I personally believe leaders of the free world should be held to a high level of social and moral responsibility, they should have a high level of accountability in everything they say and do. Trump says what he likes, does what he likes, and your political system, and your people allow him to get away with it. As an outsider looking in it is sad direction backwards for your society.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s deeply disturbing that Republican politicians remained silent while Trump attacked Elijah Cummings. As always, Elijah Cummings acted like a class act and a good decent man.

See the video below to watch the part of the hearing in which Conressman Cummings comes to the defense of a tearful Republican Mark Meadows, a member of the Republican leadership who had been accused of racism.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF , Mark Meadows was one of the Republican I was thinking of when I was typing how disappointed I am in Republicans.

Listening to Trump bully and degrade a fine man like Elijah Cummings to me is an example of the worst in us. Elijah Cummings on the other hand is an example of the best in us. This has nothing to do with political parties in my opinion. This is who we are as people.

Trump has unearthed a racist rotten core that unfortunately has always been there. Before Trump I was terribly naive and thought Americans were better than this. It turns out people were just better at hiding this ugliness.

Trump has embraced and made this hate acceptable. His supporters are actually proud of this hate. I find that deeply disturbing and extremely sad.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazin...irst-white-president-ta-nehisi-coates/537909/

This is really long and has tough language but I believe it sums up Trump’s racism well. It also points out other forms of racism among the left that is more covert and maybe, unintended.

I remember a number of academics calling Trumps election win a "whitelash" ie a reaction directly against Obama..... Two of my favourite quotes from the article;

"And so the most powerful country in the world has handed over all its affairs—the prosperity of its entire economy; the security of its 300 million citizens; the purity of its water, the viability of its air, the safety of its food; the future of its vast system of education; the soundness of its national highways, airways, and railways; the apocalyptic potential of its nuclear arsenal—to a carnival barker who introduced the phrase grab ’em by the pussy into the national lexicon. It is as if the white tribe united in demonstration to say, “If a black man can be president, then any white man—no matter how fallen—can be president.”

This last quote is the point I think many of us try and make time and time again to the people on here that support Trump either directly or by default because they couldn't vote for the "other side."

"Certainly not every Trump voter is a white supremacist, just as not every white person in the Jim Crow South was a white supremacist. But every Trump voter felt it acceptable to hand the fate of the country over to one."

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember a number of academics calling Trumps election win a "whitelash" ie a reaction directly against Obama..... Two of my favourite quotes from the article;

"And so the most powerful country in the world has handed over all its affairs—the prosperity of its entire economy; the security of its 300 million citizens; the purity of its water, the viability of its air, the safety of its food; the future of its vast system of education; the soundness of its national highways, airways, and railways; the apocalyptic potential of its nuclear arsenal—to a carnival barker who introduced the phrase grab ’em by the pussy into the national lexicon. It is as if the white tribe united in demonstration to say, “If a black man can be president, then any white man—no matter how fallen—can be president.”

This last quote is the point I think many of us try and make time and time again to the people on here that support Trump either directly or by default because they couldn't vote for the "other side."

"Certainly not every Trump voter is a white supremacist, just as not every white person in the Jim Crow South was a white supremacist. But every Trump voter felt it acceptable to hand the fate of the country over to one."

Oh Wow. that last one gives me chills.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The thought occurs: he should be sent to an outhouse, not back to a penthouse.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On Saturday, Trump tweeted that Representative Elijah Cummings’s district 'is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess,' a 'very dangerous & filthy place' and 'No human being would want to live there.' Cummings is black, as are most people in his district.
So IYO, b/c of Trump's racism is the reason why the city of Baltimore is in disarray?. The city of Baltimore had been ran by a Dem. Mayor for the past zillion yrs. When are the Dems gonna stop playing the race card? :roll2:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So IYO, b/c of Trump's racism is the reason why the city of Baltimore is in disarray?. The city of Baltimore had been ran by a Dem. Mayor for the past zillion yrs. When are the Dems gonna stop playing the race card? :roll2:

If the dog had not woken me up at 3 AM my time I wouldn't be wasting my time responding to you.

When Trump calls an intelligent black man vile names, you say onlookers who disapprove are "playing the race card". I have to file that one away for future reference.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the dog had not woken me up at 3 AM my time I wouldn't be wasting my time responding to you.

When Trump calls an intelligent black man vile names, you say onlookers who disapprove are "playing the race card". I have to file that one away for future reference.
It doesn't take a very intelligent person (no matter of his/her color) to run a city into the ground.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't take a very intelligent person (no matter of his/her color) to run a city into the ground.

I bet you could do it, especially if you were denied all funding needed for the poor.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
58ABD05A-B3EB-4E93-8A57-3789BFF63B17.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results