shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump Fires FBI Director James Comey

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump just fired FBI Director James Comey. Supposedly it was at urging of Attorney General Jeff Sessions. (And I want to add that I learned about this from Calliecake in another thread here on Pricescope! I just thought that this topic deserved its own thread.) Thank you very much for staying informed and and keeping us informed, Calliecake!

Hugs,
Deb :wavey:

Link to the story in "The New York Times"...https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump has stated three times he is not under investigation.

Thanks for starting a thread Deb. I've been glued to the TV

Last edited:

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
Another Saturday night massacre? Tuesday night massacre?

ETA: I guess Comey didn't reassure Trump enough.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I almost posted the same thing. About this being a Tuesday Night Massacre. This morning Joe Scarborough compared the 18 Day Gap Trump allowed to pass before he remembered to fire Flynn to Nixon's 18 Minute Gap on a Watergate Tape. (Or one of his guests did.) For anyone who doesn't remember, Nixon claimed that an 18 minute "gap" (erased spot in a tape of conversations automatically recorded in his office) was created by his secretary Rosemary Woods. Then ensued a hilarious recreation of the position she would have had to have been in to erase a tape accidentally.

AGBF

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
According to the Washington Post, the reason Comey was fired was because of his mishandling of the Clinton email investigation (i.e. that he talked about it during the campaign) :confused::-o

"Officials said Comey was fired because senior Justice Department officials concluded he had violated Justice Department principles and procedures by publicly discussing the investigation of Hillary Clinton’s use of private email." Link here.

ETA: CNN confirming the above. They're reading out the official memo from Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein about the firing and it does claim that Comey mishandled the Clinton investigation beginning with his July press conference. :roll:

Last edited:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! What a roller coaster ride with this administration. Guess they didn't like his recent testimony.

Watching the news on this now and see he towers over everyone. Never noticed how tall James Comey is. Just googled and found out he's 6'8".

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump will now have to nominate Comey's replacement. Jared may be getting yet another job (of course I'm joking). It will be interesting to see who he nominates.

This whole thing is absurd. Now they are saying one of the reasons Trump fired him is because of how Comey mishandled information he put out about Hillary Clinton last July.

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone on CNN just wondered if Trump would nominate Chris Christie for this position.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Democrats are coming out saying this firing is inappropriate.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I'm seeing a lot of qualified people incredibly concerned over this. Tuesday Night Massacre indeed.

Is anyone really buying the excuse? He continued Comey's employment long after the excuse they're giving for firing him.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

E B

Ideal_Rock
We need an Independent Counsel to investigate the Russian interference now!!!!

Abso-freakin-lutely.

Trump continuously praised Comey's inappropriate letter and commentary on Hillary's emails on the campaign trail. This is an excuse, and an awful one. The only explanation is for something behind the scenes re: Russia.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire, I don't think the democrats are buying that Trump fired Comey due to comments he made about Hillary Clinton 8 months ago. Trump praised him for the same behavior back in October 2016.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, Please come back I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this. Callie

I may even watch Fox News tonight. I can't wait to hear how they spin this.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Abso-freakin-lutely.

Trump continuously praised Comey's inappropriate letter and commentary on Hillary's emails on the campaign trail. This is an excuse, and an awful one. The only explanation is for something behind the scenes re: Russia.

Yep!! I wonder, how many Republicans will be willing to admit this?

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
According to the Washington Post, the reason Comey was fired was because of his mishandling of the Clinton email investigation (i.e. that he talked about it during the campaign) :confused::-o

"Officials said Comey was fired because senior Justice Department officials concluded he had violated Justice Department principles and procedures by publicly discussing the investigation of Hillary Clinton’s use of private email." Link here.

:roll:

UMMMMMM........ ISN'T THAT HOW TRUMP GOT ELECTED? I'm sorry for the all caps but W....T......F...???? Holy shit. Does everyone in this shitty cabinet have AMNESIA???

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Deb, Please come back I can't wait to hear your thoughts on this. Callie

Sorry. I took the time to e-mail one of my Senators to say that we need both an independent commission appointed by Congress to investigate the 2016 Election and, even more importantly, a Special Prosecutor.... I no longer speak to my Congresswoman since she voted for Trumpcare when it was in the House. In my last e-mail I told her she was going to be voted out of office in 2018. I guess what I think is that we need hearings and we need to demand them now. Now is not the time to be coy.

Deb :wavey:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Today's documents from the White House: the press release, Trump's letter to Comey, the underlying recommendations from AG Sessions & Deputy AG Rosenstein:
https://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/d...s-from-the-white-house-attorney-general/2430/

I highly recommend The True Story of the Comey Letter Debacle, which was published in the March print edition of Vanity Fair (where VF's most substantive articles appear), as well as the web site. It's rather long, but it offers excellent, nuanced perspective and background from a variety of sources:
http://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/02/james-comey-fbi-director-letter

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I almost posted the same thing. About this being a Tuesday Night Massacre. This morning Joe Scarborough compared the 18 Day Gap Trump allowed to pass before he remembered to fire Flynn to Nixon's 18 Minute Gap on a Watergate Tape. (Or one of his guests did.) For anyone who doesn't remember, Nixon claimed that an 18 minute "gap" (erased spot in a tape of conversations automatically recorded in his office) was created by his secretary Rosemary Woods. Then ensued a hilarious recreation of the position she would have had to have been in to erase a tape accidentally.

And we were not unique. This article is on the front page on "The New York Times" on-line.
"In Trump’s Firing of James Comey, Echoes of Watergate"
Link...https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/09/...ackage-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bet we wake up to a very large interesting Wikileaks release tomorrow morning.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I switched on Fox for a few minutes. I'm not getting the feeling they are embarrassed.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results