shape
carat
color
clarity

Trump Assassinates Iranian General Without Congressional Approval

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
President Trump assassinated Iranian Gen Qassim Suleimani in Baghdad without the authorization, or even the notification, of Congress. The United States is not at war with Iran. Senator Tim Kaine (VA) has said he will invoke The War Powers Act of 1974 requiring that Congress debate entry into a war. This act was passed to reinforce what the Constitution has already plainly stated: that it is The Congress, not the president, which has the sole power to declare war.

Senator Kaine also took this stand during the Obama administration, although he is a Democrat. The Senator said that if the will in Congress is to go to war with Iran, even though he very much opposes yet another war in the middle east, that he will support it. (He has a son on active duty in he marines now.) He is very disturbed that Congress was nt consulted, as the Constitution requires, however.

When asked if this could have been an emergency and thus a case in which the president was exempt from The War Powers Act, he said there was no way to know since the president had not bothered to brief Congress.

I find this very distrubing and yet another breach of the Constitution by President Trump. He has no right to throw us into was with Iran through his unilateral actions.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been listening to to experts on Iran speak on television today. Although I studied the politics and history of the Middle East in college and graduate school, there is a huge amount that I do not understand. One professor who spoke on MSNBC today made me want to look up what happened in 1953: in other words how the Shah came to be installed. For it was his overthrow by the Iranian people which issued in this chapter of disputes between the United States and Iran. How badly did the United States treat Iran? How much did it squash their democracy? Does it remind anyone else, as it does me, of how the United States squashed democracy in Chile under Salvador Allende and helped Pinochet into power? Could that be why the United States is hated?

"On Aug. 19, 2013, the CIA publicly admitted for the first time its involvement in the 1953 coup against Iran's elected Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadegh.

gettyimages-3271378_custom-2805d4ace4c0b69762287f95033a4264cb0af2c7-s300-c85.jpg

1952: Iranian Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadegh.
Keystone/Getty Images

The documents provided details of the CIA's plan at the time, which was led by senior officer Kermit Roosevelt Jr., the grandson of U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt. Over the course of four days in August 1953, Roosevelt would orchestrate not one, but two attempts to destabilize the government of Iran, forever changing the relationship between the country and the U.S. In this episode, we go back to retrace what happened in the inaugural episode of NPR's new history podcast, Throughline.

Mohammad Mossadegh was a beloved figure in Iran. During his tenure, he introduced a range of social and economic policies, the most significant being the nationalization of the Iranian oil industry. Great Britain had controlled Iran's oil for decades through the Anglo-Iranian Oil Co. After months of talks the prime minister broke off negotiations and denied the British any further involvement in Iran's oil industry. Britain then appealed to the United States for help, which eventually led the CIA to orchestrate the overthrow of Mossadegh and restore power to Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, the last Shah of Iran.

gettyimages-915772744_wide-0f6ffc98c30320ebd2f59b6e9d30f79210111639-s800-c85.jpg

August 19, 1953: Massive protests broke out across Iran, leaving almost 300 dead in firefights in the streets of Tehran. Iranian Prime Minister Mohammad Mossadegh was soon overthrown in a coup orchestrated by the CIA and British intelligence. The Shah was reinstalled as Iran's leader.
AFP/Getty Images

According to Stephen Kinzer, author of the book All the Shah's Men, Roosevelt quickly seized control of the Iranian press by buying them off with bribes and circulating anti-Mossadegh propaganda. He recruited allies among the Islamic clergy, and he convinced the shah that Mossadegh was a threat. The last step entailed a dramatic attempt to apprehend Mossadegh at his house in the middle of the night. But the coup failed. Mossadegh learned of it and fought back. The next morning, he announced victory over the radio."

Catch up on the latest headlines and unique NPR stories, sent every weekday.
E-mail address

By subscribing, you agree to NPR's terms of use and privacy policy.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

ap_5001010304_vert-e1b2496e86f2c6b0559b16b3c08425abc9048cea-s300-c85.jpg

A 1950 photo of Kermit Roosevelt Jr., grandson of U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt, and a former Central Intelligence Agency official.
AP

Mossadegh thought he was in the clear, but Roosevelt hadn't given up. He orchestrated a second coup, which succeeded. Mossadegh was placed on trial and spent his life under house arrest. The shah returned to power and ruled for another 25 years until the 1979 Iranian Revolution. The 1953 coup was later invoked by students and the political class in Iran as a justification for overthrowing the shah.

If you would like to read more on the 1953 coup, here's a list:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The US attempting to influence other countries rich in oil?

That's a new one... lol

But seriously, the last thing anyone needs is another war.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Just like Obama, Clinton, and pretty much every other president attacked someone without congressional approval.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the face of it there are similarities but Trumpski took upon his little ole self to assassinate the general whereas Obama joined in with other countries to attack Libya. Also Democratic senators called Obama out as did of course Pubs because they hated Obama but love war but hated Obama more.. so similar, but not equal

Just like Obama, Clinton, and pretty much every other president attacked someone without congressional approval.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm on your side about that! And yet there is a special piquancy to Trump's doing so while facing a trial for impeachment on the charge of obstruction of Congress.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm on your side about that! And yet there is a special piquancy to Trump's doing so while facing a trial for impeachment on the charge of obstruction of Congress.

Whats weird, I'm not going to say funny because its to serious for that but Clinton ordered an attack without notifying congress while he was under impeachment also and it was in Iraq.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Presidents tend to foment war during election years. Campaign strategy.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
President Trump assassinated Iranian Gen Qassim Suleimani in Baghdad without the authorization, or even the notification, of Congress. The United States is not at war with Iran. Senator Tim Kaine (VA) has said he will invoke The War Powers Act of 1974 requiring that Congress debate entry into a war. This act was passed to reinforce what the Constitution has already plainly stated: that it is The Congress, not the president, which has the sole power to declare war.
Yeah, Trump should have asked Suleimanai to stay put while he ask for approval from Congress to kill him. :rolleyes:. Did Trump declare war against Iran? .

The left will never give Trump credit for doing anything right, not even for killing a terrorist. There are a lot of sick people on MSNBC. :knockout:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ive got the fox news app on my phone and it has a very loud and unusual notification sound
The thing was going bananas yesterday

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, Trump should have asked Suleimanai to stay put while he ask for approval from Congress to kill him. :rolleyes:. Did Trump declare war against Iran? .

Trump, as president, does not have the power to declare war against another country. The power to declare war lies solely with Congress. And, no, Congress did not declare war against Iran. Therefore the United States is not at war with Iran.

Trump should not have assassinated a foreign leader of a country with which we are not at war. I am not sure what the rules are on assassinating individual leaders in a foreign government with which we are or have been at war without a war crimes trial. Perhaps we have some experts on that here.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sure we all have nothing to be concerned about. Surely Trump has carefully thought through every scenario, studied foreign policy briefings, spoke to all the experts and advisors, has plans and strategies in place should things go horribly wrong..... oh wait!

What could possible go wrong when you have a stable genius running the country???

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What could possible go wrong when you have a stable genius running the country???
This?.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump should not have assassinated a foreign leader of a country with which we are not at war.
A foreign leader? NOT!. He is a leader of terrorists . Why is it so hard for the left wingers to get that into their head?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do some reading first before you humblebrag .

This?.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you listen to fox, breitbart, examiner he was in Iraq to plot killing half of the middle east.

But he was in Iraq to have tea and crumpets at a picnic.
Well if you listen to cnn anyway,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anything to take the focus off the impeachment and get reelection donations.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my hypothetical question. Say other countries think, well we think that the US is planning attacks on our soil, against our citizens therefore an imminent threat. Is it OK for them to say "take out" by missle drones or otherwise our president, our chief of Staff? Because that's kind of what the US just did.

I always assumed asassinations were off the table. Is Trump saying that assassinations of high ranking members of other countries is now OK and permissible? Because that is a terrible precedent.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no problem with the killing of a terrorist general who ran training camps for terrorists that killed Americans. None whatsoever. What was he doing in Iraq?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure we know exactly why he was in Iraq. I have no problem with taking out a terrorist, but in the same vein what if the Iranians took out Trump? our chief who took out Suleimani. As of 2017 6,000 civilians were killed in Iraq and Syria. It's perspective. I support our policy in the middle east but if Americans are killed en masse in the middle east because of this assassination I don't think it was a good idea, if nothing happens then it's a terrible man taken out.

I have no problem with the killing of a terrorist general who ran training camps for terrorists that killed Americans. None whatsoever. What was he doing in Iraq?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure we know exactly why he was in Iraq. I have no problem with taking out a terrorist, but in the same vein what if the Iranians took out Trump? our chief who took out Suleimani. As of 2017 6,000 civilians were killed in Iraq and Syria. It's perspective. I support our policy in the middle east but if Americans are killed en masse in the middle east because of this assassination I don't think it was a good idea, if nothing happens then it's a terrible man taken out.

He was continuing the planning of killing more Americans and Americans will be targeted and killed regardless of this. The Iranian leaders are what they are and nothing will change it. No US president will change it. They are terrorists and as long as they continue to kill Americans then targets of opportunity are fair game. The only ones who can change Iran are the Iranian people. It's not our job to do it.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A "terrorist general" is redundant. A general's job is to use force against the other side. This man was not some ISIS member beheading people or setting them on fire in cages. We can object to "assymetrical warfare" as more unfair to civilians than some other forms of war, but the United States uses many forms of war that annihilate innocent civilians, too. That is the job of generals: to use force, sometimes leaving innocents as casualties.

I would prefer to go back to the lines of redcoats in the 18th century who only fired upon other soldiers, but that is not the nature of modern warfare.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I would feel more comfortable if this was a coalition-led attack with other countries, rather than Trump doing this solo. He also attacked this person on Iraq soil, in a civilian area where apparently other civilians were killed. I'm not arguing this guy is not a bad guy. But it sets a precedent and an excuse that other, worse actors can use to take out Americans, whenever, wherever they are.

Only recently did the US (Trump) declare the IRGC a terrorist organization (April 2019). In response, the Iranian government declared the United States Central Command, whose area of responsibility includes the Middle East, as a terrorist organization.
Can you really blame them? Trump tweeted he is going to take out 52 sites in Iran.

"In a saber-rattling tweet that defended Friday's US drone strike assassination of a powerful Iranian general in Iraq, Trump said 52 represents the number of Americans held hostage at the US embassy in Tehran for more than a year starting in late 1979.
Trump said some of these sites are "at a very high level & important to Iran & the Iranian culture, and those targets, and Iran itself, WILL BE HIT VERY FAST AND VERY HARD. The USA wants no more threats!""

Can you imagine if Iran's general tweeted the same thing, that 52 sites in the US will be targeted and these sites are "at a very high level and important to US and the US culture" How would YOU feel? Threatened perhaps? Is that really what we want to do? And if so, why? Do we want to start a war?

Last edited:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A "terrorist general" is redundant. A general's job is to use force against the other side. This man was not some ISIS member beheading people or setting them on fire in cages. We can object to "assymetrical warfare" as more unfair to civilians than some other forms of war, but the United States uses many forms of war that annihilate innocent civilians, too. That is the job of generals: to use force, sometimes leaving innocents as casualties.

I would prefer to go back to the lines of redcoats in the 18th century who only fired upon other soldiers, but that is not the nature of modern warfare.

Do I detect empathy or sympathy for these terrorists in your post? You equate this "general" with the likes of Colin Powell, Eisenhower, et al? If so then you and I will never agree about this. The US does not make declarations such as "death to Iran".

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results