shape
carat
color
clarity

Troubleshooting: stone fell out of ring :-(

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
I was cleaning my favorite ring (a gray spinel set in a 4-prong 14k white gold setting I had made 3 years ago) just now when I unfortunately dropped it. It hit the edge of the counter and sort of slid down my leg, landing on the floor before I could stop it.

End result: the center stone completely popped out of the setting. I have to inspect it more closely tomorrow, but it looks like it is in okay shape (I hope). It's just confusing: I had the ring looked at a year ago, everything looked fine. I actually inspected the prongs a couple of weeks ago with a loupe and...the prongs looked fine, though I am no expert. But the spinel is now flying solo.

My questions:
  • Is this a risk one might normally expect with a 4-prong ring? Maybe it just landed wrong?
  • Obviously I have to take this to a jeweler, but does this suggest any possible issues with the setting (or stone) that I should direct his or her attention to? It seems like this should be an easy fix, but I don't want this to happen again.
I'd share a photo of the setting for your review, but I don't have macro photo powers and can't get a good shot. It looks pretty normal, just missing the stone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's personal, however, I dislike claws/prongs ever since I lost the centre stone which was an Imperial Jade cabochon from the ring that my mum lent to me during one drunken work's do. :cry2:

I would bezel-set everything if I could, and certainly for the centre stone for all the rings that I had made for me ever since, except for a pearl ring.

Anyway, I often read 6 claws/prongs are better/more secure than 4 in other sections on PS. Perhaps the more seasoned and knowledgeable PSers will come along to offer their advice soon.

DK :))

MidModMin

Shiny_Rock
It's personal, however, I dislike claws/prongs ever since I lost the centre stone which was an Imperial Jade cabochon from the ring that my mum lent to me during one drunken work's do. :cry2:

Ahhhh, I am so sorry that happened to you! Oh, how upsetting. :cry:

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the look of a 4 prong more than a six unless the stone is huge.

Bibbi*Jazzy*T

Rough_Rock
Bezel setting sounds like a good idea.
Perhaps a six prong setting?
Going to a jeweller is a must.
Have you considered turning it into a pendant?
Perhaps bezel set on a chain?
That would look lovely and unique at the same time.
And there are pendants that can convert to be worn on the finger as a ring too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results