shape
carat
color
clarity

Tree stones, center sapphire, side diamonds proportion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hmwrk

Rough_Rock
Hi I thought I would get a little advice on proportion. I always assumed if I were to ever buy a ring....it would be a round princess solitare of high to redicilious quality. Then the hint was dropped that the GF does not want a a ring like that. She wants a sapphire in the center and I think she said surrounded by diamonds. I took that to mean something like diamond side stones but since then I have seen some diamond surrounded sapphire rings around. She also seems to like the so called "antique setting" look. Has anyone seen engagement rings like that? What size sapphire would be about right in a three diamond ring? what proportion would the side diamonds be in comparison to a center sapphire? I am thinking of a pair of 8* or whiteflash diamonds for the side stones and since I don''t have to worry about the diamonds being the center of the show, I am thinking 8*s of perhaps a half carat would setoff a 1.5 carat sapphire in a special way. Any thoughts?

hmwrk

Rough_Rock
Well I found the eye candy thread above. That is a good place to start

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
welcome here hmwrk!

Another thing that might help, is, if you see a setting (in diamonds) that you think might work, post it and ask for photoshop help. There are some VERY clever PSers here who do amazing photosohop work. It can help you visualize the final product.

Good luck and keep asking questions: the knowlege base here is amazing.

LS

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The ring sounds like a great idea. I like the side stones about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of the center stone but of course it is all personal preference. Have fun shopping! We''re here to help.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
That''s an interesting question, since most folks are not very concerned with proportions that much. But proportion is an important aspect in the overall look of the piece. Take some ancient monuments as examples (like Greek Parthenon or Taj Mahal); proportions are what gives these buildings everlasting beauty, so we find them pretty even when decorations are not that well preserved.

Now, it''s good that you''re not building an ancient monument, so your problem is not as big
9.gif

If you go for side stones take two things into account; width of the shank (metal portion of the ring) and size of the center stone. I think if side stones are in between those two numbers, the ring should look nice and balanced. Example - shank is 2 mm and center is 5 mm, sides could be about 3,5 mm. You can also take the golden ratio as a guide, and it will tell you that (example) a 6,5 mm stone should be accompanied by 4 mm sides (golden ratio is approx. 1 against 1,62).

It''s also good to know some things about optics of gemstones. For instance, if a stone is too small, it''s (obviously) harder to capture it''s beauty so a larger number of stones should be used. For example, if only a few stones of the same variety are used in the design (like two diamond sides), it''s best if they''re between 3 and 5 mm in size. If there are 10 or so of them, they should be 3 mm or less, and if there''s only one (like your sapphire center), it should be at least 5 mm.

Hope this helps
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It kind of sounds like she wants a halo to me. Maybe something like a Tiffany Legacy style, or something similar to LostSapphire''s ring.

Something like Brown.Eyed.Girl''s Legacy-esque Tourmaline ring

Or something that''s a little Princess Diana inspired: LostSapphire''s sapphire halo

Or the Tiffany Legacy with graduated sidestones: Link

A thread with a whole bunch of halos on different shaped stones (including a farther away shot of Princess Di''s): Link Pay special attention to MissRocks'' sapphire ring with a halo--it''s a stunner, and it''s more than 3/4 of the way down.

Kit''s gorgeous sapphire halo

Colored stone halos--lots of gorgeous bling

Anyway, just thought I''d chime in...(and I had a lot of fun looking at all of the bling!)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/15/2008 5:54:43 PM
Author:hmwrk
Hi I thought I would get a little advice on proportion. I always assumed if I were to ever buy a ring....it would be a round princess solitare of high to redicilious quality. Then the hint was dropped that the GF does not want a a ring like that. She wants a sapphire in the center and I think she said surrounded by diamonds. I took that to mean something like diamond side stones but since then I have seen some diamond surrounded sapphire rings around. She also seems to like the so called ''antique setting'' look. Has anyone seen engagement rings like that? What size sapphire would be about right in a three diamond ring? what proportion would the side diamonds be in comparison to a center sapphire? I am thinking of a pair of 8* or whiteflash diamonds for the side stones and since I don''t have to worry about the diamonds being the center of the show, I am thinking 8*s of perhaps a half carat would setoff a 1.5 carat sapphire in a special way. Any thoughts?
If she said "surrounded" by diamonds then I''d take that to mean something with a diamond halo like Princess Diana''s engagement ring - which does have an antique look to it. IMVHO LostSapphire''s ring (linked to above) is much prettier. Others have given you links to similar rings but here''s Dianas:-

hmwrk

Rough_Rock
Wow you all! The posts and links to my question are fantastic. I really appreciate the time spent answering my question. These halo rings are really something. I had no idea they could look so striking. I don''t see these types of rings out too much but then again I am not one to notice jewelry too much anyway. I was concerned that this might be too unconventional engagement ring but if it is good enough for Princess Di then I don''t think I have too much to worry on that subject. Would this be considered an a-typical ring? I think that she is interested in having ring that is not just like everyone else''s.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Hi again hmwrk!

Hope you're enjoying the process.

Here's another 'take' on the whole Princess Diana thing:

Here's my original e-ring from 1987, quite similar (but not nearly as nice!) as Princess Diana's. Look at the prongs on the outer edges of the diamond melee.

scroll to next post....

Foo130.jpg

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 8:12:40 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Hi again hmwrk!

Hope you're enjoying the process.

Here's another 'take' on the whole Princess Diana thing:

Here's my original e-ring from 1987, quite similar (but not nearly as nice!) as Princess Diana's.

scroll to next post....
So, when I had another ring made this year, I wanted something similar but moderned up a bit. (those aren't scratches on it: it was raining!)

Here's the new one. What's different?

1. Round instead of oval sapphire, and a much brighter blue, better quality and cut
2. The diamond melee doesn't have prongs on the outside edges of the diamonds (those things catch on everything!)
3. Pear side stones just for fun

You will find Diana look-alikes in almost every mall store out there. They generally are set using a very dark, low quality sapphire. And, they are looking rather dated these days (it IS 20+ years since her wedding). So have a look at the coloured stones eye candy thread: you will find tons of modern inspiration, and hopefully, something that is absolutely perfect for you and your sweetie.

LS

Foo131.jpg

oobiecoo

Ideal_Rock
Am I missing something here? What is an 8*?

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 7:58:30 PM
Author: hmwrk
Wow you all! The posts and links to my question are fantastic. I really appreciate the time spent answering my question. These halo rings are really something. I had no idea they could look so striking. I don''t see these types of rings out too much but then again I am not one to notice jewelry too much anyway. I was concerned that this might be too unconventional engagement ring but if it is good enough for Princess Di then I don''t think I have too much to worry on that subject. Would this be considered an a-typical ring? I think that she is interested in having ring that is not just like everyone else''s.
It''s quite a common style, like anything ever worn by celebrities. Just type "halo ring" in the search here and you''ll get like a zillion threads.

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
Somehow check exactly what she meant by surrounded by diamonds. The Diana look is vastly different than a 3-stone and could lead to major dissapointment. Or, make sure you can return it if it isn''t what she meant. That said, I love both styles, but I think the 3-stone won''t look as dated over the years.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Hmwrk!

I agree with everyone above--"surrounded by diamonds" can mean a lot of different things. LS gave you a great example of how two seemingly similar rings can look very different. My e-ring also has a halo, but is a much different shape thank LS's lovely blueberry. So you know what shape sapphire your GF wants/likes? Because that will make a difference.

ETA: link to pics of my e-ring https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-pink-lovely.93121/

hmwrk

Rough_Rock
Am I missing something here? What is an 8*?

Hi oobiecoo. 8* is a super fancy branded diamond that is popular with some.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 7:58:30 PM

As far as a sapphire e-ring being a-typical... generally, in the US, yes it is. Granted, I live in the midwest where the Zales frozen-spit diamond solitaire special is commonplace. I''ve only had my sapphire halo for 2 weeks, but the response has been phenomenal! Many of my co-workers have never seen a colored center stone e-ring before - they even asked if it was a blue diamond. Others have revealed that they never were really into diamonds and they absolutely love the uniqueness of mine. Frankly, I think a woman who wears a colored e-ring possesses a special confidence, liveliness, and unconventionality (although of course I''m biased).

Have you discovered what your girlfriend meant by "surrounded by diamonds"? Three stone or halo?

hmwrk

Rough_Rock
Have you discovered what your girlfriend meant by "surrounded by diamonds"? Three stone or halo?

Yes in fact this thanks giving she saw a ring on my aunt and later she mentioned that that was the style she likes a lot. It is just as I suspected. She is talking about a diamond ring surrounding the sapphire. She even mentioned that it was like a miniature princess diana ring. I think I know what direction I am going in now. Some of the rings of this type posted on here are absolutely stunning! Do you think this will be a custom ring or is this something that could be bought off the shelf at the right store? Now that I know what I am looking for, where would you all start sniffing around for a ring of this type?

hmwrk

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/20/2008 8:16:51 PM
Date: 11/20/2008 8:12:40 PM

Hi again hmwrk!

Hope you''re enjoying the process.

Here''s another ''take'' on the whole Princess Diana thing:

Here''s my original e-ring from 1987, quite similar (but not nearly as nice!) as Princess Diana''s.

scroll to next post....

So, when I had another ring made this year, I wanted something similar but moderned up a bit. (those aren''t scratches on it: it was raining!)

Here''s the new one. What''s different?

1. Round instead of oval sapphire, and a much brighter blue, better quality and cut

2. The diamond melee doesn''t have prongs on the outside edges of the diamonds (those things catch on everything!)

3. Pear side stones just for fun

You will find Diana look-alikes in almost every mall store out there. They generally are set using a very dark, low quality sapphire. And, they are looking rather dated these days (it IS 20+ years since her wedding). So have a look at the coloured stones eye candy thread: you will find tons of modern inspiration, and hopefully, something that is absolutely perfect for you and your sweetie.

LS

That ring is a jaw dropper. I can''t imagine anything looking better than that. I think I want to start focusing finding / building a ring that is similar. Any suggestions? I like the blue of that sapphire. The pear diamonds on the sides adds to the affect to my eyes.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/28/2008 11:16:40 AM
Date: 11/20/2008 8:16:51 PM

That ring is a jaw dropper. I can''t imagine anything looking better than that. I think I want to start focusing finding / building a ring that is similar. Any suggestions? I like the blue of that sapphire. The pear diamonds on the sides adds to the affect to my eyes.

You have very good taste then. LostSapphire''s "bluelusciousness" is a combination of a Jeff White masterpiece (center sapphire) and some Whiteflash magic (setting). I''m 100% positive that you won''t find a beauty like that (or anything even close) at any B&M store, so my recommendation would be custom. Do you have a budget in mind? We could all help you find a stone that would work... Any shape/size in mind?

hmwrk

Rough_Rock
Do you have a budget in mind? We could all help you find a stone that would work... Any shape/size in mind?

I don''t have a budget in mind but I took a look at the naturalsapphirecompany.com and spending 3 to 4 k on a center stone seems about right no? then the surrounding diamonds I have no idea of what kind of budget I should be considering on that, and the setting would less than a thousand no? 4 to 7 k? total?

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/28/2008 1:54:28 PM
Do you have a budget in mind? We could all help you find a stone that would work... Any shape/size in mind?

I don''t have a budget in mind but I took a look at the naturalsapphirecompany.com and spending 3 to 4 k on a center stone seems about right no? then the surrounding diamonds I have no idea of what kind of budget I should be considering on that, and the setting would less than a thousand no? 4 to 7 k? total?

It''s all extremely subjective. Sapphires on the NSC website are all non-treated stones, so those will run you more than an identical heat-treated stone will. It also depends on the size you''re looking for. If my memory serves me correctly, LostSapphire''s center stone is 2.04 ct and I think it was above the 3-4k range (if I remember the price from when it was still a homeless stone on Jeff White''s website), but I *think* it is also treatment-free.

As far as the setting goes, if it''s a custom job you''re after, I think it will be above 1k. For example, a Mark Morrell solitare setting in platinum without any accent diamonds is listed at $1,600. However, it all depends on the design and the materials. I''m pretty certain that LS''s setting was well above that mark too.

We''d all be more than happy to help you on your hunt, so please don''t hesitate to ask!

hmwrk

Rough_Rock
I count 10 accent diamonds 2 of which are pear shape. How big do those diamonds look to you? From what I am hearing that amazing ring is likely upwards of 10k or more. The setting with all those accent diamonds along would be well into the 2k neighborhood. This is fantastic information for me and it is helping me get a giant head start on figuring out what I am doing for an e-ring. I am leaning toward an untouched unheated stone. I might in the end be talked into a heated stone if it is a significantly better value but to me the rarity and specialness of the stone are significant factors in justifying a higher price. It is not out of proportion for the center stone to be worth half the total value of the ring no?

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2008 5:10:49 PM
I count 10 accent diamonds 2 of which are pear shape. How big do those diamonds look to you? From what I am hearing that amazing ring is likely upwards of 10k or more. The setting with all those accent diamonds along would be well into the 2k neighborhood. This is fantastic information for me and it is helping me get a giant head start on figuring out what I am doing for an e-ring. I am leaning toward an untouched unheated stone. I might in the end be talked into a heated stone if it is a significantly better value but to me the rarity and specialness of the stone are significant factors in justifying a higher price. It is not out of proportion for the center stone to be worth half the total value of the ring no?

I don't know the exact specs of LS's knockout ring, but I do know her sapphire was on the larger side (~2 cts.) which would require larger (or more) surrounding diamonds. You could keep the cost down by requesting a smaller sapphire- around 1 ct.

I'd honestly recommend the custom route. Jeff White (www.whitesgems.com) for a custom-cut sapphire, and Whiteflash (www.whiteflash.com) for a custom setting. I don't think Diana's had pears on each side, just the round stones surrounding the sapphire. The size of the melee will of course depend on the number of melee- both which will, of course, depend on the size your center stone.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
I did a little search to find the stats on LS''s ring and here they are:

2.04 ct Sri Lankan Sapphire recut by Jeff White, 7.6mm diameter
8 x .10 cts round melee stones (ACA’s by WF)
2 x .34 cts pears (ACA’s by WF)
Custom setting by Whiteflash

Hope this helps!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/28/2008 5:10:49 PM
Hello hmwrk. Thank you for the lovely compliments on my ring. I absolutely love it myself!

Maybe I can help with your question above:

The Jeff White sapphire (a.k.a. BLUEBERRY) is 2.04 carats. It is 7.6mm dia x 4.65mm deep. It is untreated, which took the price a bit higher than I originally wanted to spend.

The setting is made up of 8 x .10 carat melee, and 2 x .34 pears. It is yellow gold with a platinum head, size 6.

I'm sure Whiteflash would be happy to work with you to bring the price down to your budget. A few things I did that took the price upwards were: untreated sapphire, big pears, WF ACA stones for the melee, and platinum for the head.

Another thing you could do is consider a smaller, treated sapphire. That would also bring the price of the diamond melee down because those stones would then be smaller too.

Your question re: proportion of stone to half the total value of the ring sounds about right. Mine was probably closer to 37% sapphire, 63% setting/stones, etc. (that includes taxes and a bit of exchange when the Canuck-Dollar was almost at par). I paid a premium for the untreated sapphire. And at the last minute I up-sized the pears (they ARE fat and juicy!) which added another $950 to the cost.

I'm not going to tell you the total cost of the custom ring, but there are enough clues in this post, and a few others out there, for anyone to figure it out.

When I first started the project, I sent WF an e-mail with a few dimensions and ideas of what I was looking at. They were really good at giving me 'ballpark estimates' so I had an idea if I should continue on the road of a custom ring, or, that I needed more time to save up the $$. They are excellent to work with, as is Jeff White. Jeff will also give you rough estimates of cost-per-carat of sapphires. It depends on the colour, but you get a good idea of where you're at.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask anything you like and I'll try to help you out.

LS

ETA: I see misspinky was posting at the same time as me. D*mn, coulda saved me looking up the stats!
9.gif
Thanks misspinky

ETA#2: I should also say, feel free to use any of the design you like. If you want more pics of it, it's in my "Lost Sapphire Has Been Found" thread...I'm not one of those people who has to have the "one and only" of anything, so help yourself.
If you find a stone and want to get the same kind of thing, it was Lesley/Vera/Joe/Bob at WF who made the ring. I'm sure they can do just as wonderful a job for your sweetie!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-lost-sapphire-has-been-found.93860/

And the 'original' story of the purchase of the sapphire is here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/gemscoop-is-posted.88994/

hmwrk

Rough_Rock
LS,
Thank you very much for all the help. The information you gave me is perfect. I don''t think I will try to duplicate you ring but like a princess Di ring it will a general template. Do you get a lot of people curious about your ring? It is not a typical ring being a sapphire. I am just curious what the general public reaction to it is. Again thank you for your generosity.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2008 7:24:28 PM
LS,
Thank you very much for all the help. The information you gave me is perfect. I don''t think I will try to duplicate you ring but like a princess Di ring it will a general template. Do you get a lot of people curious about your ring? It is not a typical ring being a sapphire. I am just curious what the general public reaction to it is. Again thank you for your generosity.
Hi hmwrk

It''s funny. I thought a lot of people would gush over it and I''d be embarrassed. But very few people say anything. And if they do, it''s in a quiet way which suits me fine.

I think *perhaps* they either think it''s fake (IT''S NOT!!!!), or, because it''s rather unusual, they don''t know what to say. The stone is an amazingly deep luscious blue which is not something you see every day. It''s not monstrously large either, but I think it gets a lot of quiet glances.

Most sapphire rings around where I live are those dark opaque things like my first one. My husband even, thought after all these years that sapphires were black....so perhaps people in my *circle* don''t realize it''s a sapphire. That would be my "non-PS circle" that is!

My husband comments on it almost every day. For a guy who doesn''t usually care one way or another about jewellry, he absolutely adores it. As do I.

Best of luck in your quest for the perfect ring for your sweetie.

LS

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results