shape
carat
color
clarity

trapezoids or half moons with a cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fullojoy

Rough_Rock
As previously posted, I am planning to purchase a 3 carat cushion in NYC. I plan to put either trapezoids or half moons on either side of the center stone. A jeweler that I spoke with today discouraged me from using side stones with a straight edge with a cushion, and said that if I want to use traps or half moons, I should buy a radiant. Any thoughts on this? Any pictures? He really confused me!

Since I live in Maryland, I did contact James Allen, based on the suggestions found here. I decided not to meet with him in Maryland, as there will be a shipping charge for each diamond he would bring in for me to look at. He now has an office in NYC where he can meet with customers. I am not sure which vendor to meet with in NYC. If I decide to go with a radiant, is there anyone who "specializes" in radiants? Joy

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd do half moons - cushions are a soft cut and I think traps would be too much contrast - JMO. Plus I think half moons are about made for cushions!

I gotta eta that I think it depends on what your cushion is like - antique or modern, long or square... even the cushion outline can vary in how much bulge there is in the shoulders... or how sharp the corners are.... and what the facets look like on the inside too.... I really don't think my cushion would look good with either of these because the contrast in facets would be too much but I've seen other cushions that would do just fine. I'd love to see a ring with step moons... that's always an option too :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

luthergirl

Rough_Rock
I am currently having a ring made that is a round with side trapezoid diamonds. It was an unusual combo that I didn''t think I''d like....but my jeweler brought in different shaped side stones and it worked for me. I wasn''t even going to have him bring in trapezoids, but he did and I really liked it. I think it may help to see some different shaped side diamonds with your cushion to see if you like the look and to see how different faceting and color patterns work with your stone. I had a two different trapeozoid pairs and there were definite differences. I don''t have any pics for you as my ring is not done yet-it is supposed to be done Monday! Bottom line--I think you need to see different combinations on your hand to decide.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love cushions!!! I think either will look great.

Not to thread jack, but I have been so interested in the Chesapeake area, are you from around there in Maryland or are you familiar?

fullojoy

Rough_Rock
Please post pictures when your ring is done. (For the person who asked, I live in the Wash DC suburbs, not Chesapeake)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think half moons..

here''s a Leon ring with half moon sides
30.gif
30.gif

the only thing I''d be worried about is if you do all diamonds the stones all kinda blend in together and you''d lose the visual impact of the cushion shape..

cushion%20pic.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s a Jack Kelege ring I tried on. it''s a round with half moons and although gorgeous, the stone didn''t stand out much, it was a blur of bling..

jackchicago.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
I vote for traps. To me, HMs seem to take away from the unique ''cushiony'' contours of the center stone....

widget

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Full, thanks. Just was curious what you know about the area generally, we were looking to buy a vacation home down there possibly.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/1/2007 8:39:06 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I think half moons..

here''s a Leon ring with half moon sides
30.gif
30.gif

the only thing I''d be worried about is if you do all diamonds the stones all kinda blend in together and you''d lose the visual impact of the cushion shape..

cushion%20pic.jpg
yeah but if you do it right it could look like a curvy waterfall :)

Emily07

Rough_Rock
I think either would look great, but I am leaning towards trapezoids! Here is a picture I found on google, its on sescreations.com too. Congrats on deciding on a cushion cut- they are beautiful. I am waiting on my cushion cut engagement ring right now!

cushion with traps.jpg

luthergirl

Rough_Rock
I really do like both the LM cushion with half moons and the cushion with trapezoids posted... I did see my round with half moons and it did seem to blend in together, but maybe the half moons were too big for the round. What I liked about the trapezoids was that it tapered into my finger and it seemed to accentuate the center but not take away from it. I am repeating myself, but if you have the opportunity to see your center with different sides I think you will KNOW what you love!!! oh, also my jeweler had a computer program that could simulate a center stone with different sides....maybe you could find something like that and it would help too.

I will try to post pictures, but we aren''t "officially" engaged...so once we get it, it goes straight to him and I wait for the proposal!

Post pics of your cushion when you get it!!!! Cushions really are beautiful :)

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/28/2007 8:08:49 PM
Author:fullojoy
As previously posted, I am planning to purchase a 3 carat cushion in NYC. I plan to put either trapezoids or half moons on either side of the center stone. A jeweler that I spoke with today discouraged me from using side stones with a straight edge with a cushion, and said that if I want to use traps or half moons, I should buy a radiant. Any thoughts on this? Any pictures? He really confused me!

Since I live in Maryland, I did contact James Allen, based on the suggestions found here. I decided not to meet with him in Maryland, as there will be a shipping charge for each diamond he would bring in for me to look at. He now has an office in NYC where he can meet with customers. I am not sure which vendor to meet with in NYC. If I decide to go with a radiant, is there anyone who ''specializes'' in radiants? Joy
If you truly want a cushion, get that. If you want to see some radiants, you can go anywhere on 47th street, but it''s a toss up. you will find Princess cut stones with cut corners masquerading as "radiants". The Original Radiant cut is only sold by Philmar Jewlers on Fifth Avenue and 47th Street. They are the only licensed dealers of the stone i know of. There were others, but none oficially for The Original Radiant Cut by Henry Grossbard.

Personally, I suggest setting a cushion with a brilliant cut pattern next to it. I have seen a strange array of sidestones on cushions here in NY, as they are totally en vogue right now. I have even seen a successful Trilliant/cushion combination. it can be quite pretty, if you set it right. Even brilliant bullets have a sort of HW-esque quality to it as a sidestone. Baguettes are not my style, but that is another option as well. Half moons to me cluster a bit much and as someone so accurately said it, it would be a "blur of bling"...

How about a setting with pave that requires NO sidestone. 3 Ct is a size that can easily carry itself in a solitaire. To me the pave is just a sparkler to make the stone pop out, but sidestones tend to be a bit busy for a 3ct, in my opinion. It just depends what look you are going for. More muted would be traps, and bullets.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results