shape
carat
color
clarity

Transitional?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dkcastro66

Rough_Rock
I am considering a purchase. The info i have: depth 58.6%, table 59%, crown 10.4%, pav 44.6%, culet small, girdle thin to sl thick fac, polish good, symmetry fair, carat .71 vs2/G. The stone cut is said to be transitional/ideal. The ring has a date inscribed 1925, I thought transitional cuts were older. Any thoughts?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
"Transitional" used with diamond cutting implies a diamond is cut with attributes of two connecting periods/styles of cutting. There are Old Mine to Old Europen transitional cuts, and Old European to Modern transitional cuts. It sounds as if you believe it is the latter type.

I would not be able to determine that it in the "ideal" cut family based on the information you gave. I think you should remain skeptical about that situation.

It may be a pretty diamond with some very nice old and new attributes, however.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sounds like it could be a transitional stone. My concern is the crown. Are you sure it is 10.4%? That sounds more like the crown height. The crown angle should be in the 30's. Also a picture is more helpful for old cut stones. The table also seems rather large at 59%. Can you also post the dimensions? What a grading of fair for symmetry, I hope the stone isn't too out of round.

dkcastro66

Rough_Rock
I don''t have a pic I can post, but the dimentions are 6.07x5.89x3.51. The crown measurement came off the EGL report. I don''t know if it''s height.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen the stone? It sounds quite out of round with a difference of nearly 0.2 mm, my guess is that it will be noticeable. I now see that the cert is providing the crown and pavilion height in percentages. Is the cert EGL USA, Israel or Europe?

In any case, I'm starting to doubt this stone. It has many strikes against it:
1. Large table
2. Low crown height
3. The stone is out of round as noted by the fair symmetry
4. The pavilion and crown angle combo does not sound complimentary

I too have a transition stone. I think Surfgirl's stone is also a transition. I'll come back later with pictures of my stone as comparison.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DI40X_EGLUS30522801D.jpg

The above is my stone
Weight: 0.88
Diameter 6.05 mm
Depth 63%
Pav Depth 41.2%
Pav Angle 39.7%
Crown H 18.3%
Crn Angle 38.5%
Table 54.3%
Culet Large
Girdle Thin-Thk

DI40X_EGLUS32788601D.jpg

I also considered this stone but passed on it.
Weight: 0.79
Diameter 5.73 mm
Depth 64.8%
Pav Depth 43.2%
Pav Angle 42.1%
Crown H 16.3%
Crn Angle 35.5%
Table 54.8%
Culet Large
Girdle Med-Thk

dkcastro66

Rough_Rock
This is an internet buy. I can e-mail the link I have with pic''s, they are just pic''s of the ring not close up like yours.

dkcastro66

Rough_Rock
It is EGL USA

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a link to the picture of the stone and ring (it sounds like it is being sold mounted), you should be able to put the picture on your computer and then post it here. My other question is their return policy. Please read it carefully to be sure you are not going to be charged some ridiculous restocking fee or that the seller has a right to refuse refunds and other scary small print like that. Also to determine the beauty of the stone, you need reasonably magnified or close up pictures. I would ask the seller for better pictures.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
i think mine too is a transitional diamond purchased from lang's antiques in san francisco. my specs are

1.06ct
H/VS2
6.59 x 6.65 x 3.87
Depth 58.7%
Table 55%

the diamond is not certified but lang's was able to gather the above specs with the diamond out of the setting

the appraiser estimated the crown angle ~ 35.8

i second chrono on checking the return policy and then i would arrange for appraiser. you may want to make sure your appraiser does not also sell jewelry or is affiliated with a jewelry store. plus it would be best to find someone who has some experience with older cuts but any reputable appraiser will do. most importantly - you have to see the diamond with your own eyes in different types of lighting.

ring_20071126_04.JPG

ETA : even though the ring is inscribed with 1925 that does not necessarily mean that the diamond was cut in 1925. it could have been cut earlier and then reset.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I wouldn't make too much of the angles, %'s, etc. If this is truly and antique cut stone, comparing the angles and measurements to today's Ideal cuts is like comparing apples to durian! Heh...Anyway, to me it's more about what YOU think of the stone in person. Does it sing to you? Does it have "chunky monkey" facets that shoot out chunks of fire? Does it shimmer and have amazing scintillation? If so, then it's a keeper regardless of it's angle percentages... Check on the return policy and make sure you organize an independent appraisal before the ring arrives so you can whisk it off to an appraiser right away to see what it really is...

ETA: I dont have time to post photos of my transitional in this thread but here's a link to my ering thread...

https://www.pricescope.com/forum/op-requested/at-last-my-antique-ering-t61580.html

dkcastro66

Rough_Rock
15 day return policy and no restocking fee. Thank-you so much for your and everyones feedback. I am a bit of a cave woman when it comes to importing and posting pictures on the web ( I''m not sure how to do it)when I figure it out I will post a pic. It seems the proof is in the pudding so when I get it in or on hand I will know. I live in Va. and have already contacted an appraiser that I found through the web totally independent and GIA certified and has plenty of experience with old stones. So wish me luck!! Thank-you everyone. Happy Holidays!!!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck! My 1.01 transition cut diamond looks like 2 carats and it is the most beautiful cut of all diamonds IMHO. I hope your diamond is like mine. I fell in love at first sight.

Lisa

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I agree. I have what I thought to be an OEC, but came to find out later is a transitional cut after all. Love it, love it, love it!
30.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results