shape
carat
color
clarity

Transitional Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I went to a jeweler, and while looking around the young man who was working in there brought out an estate piece that they had that was a transitional cut. It was beautiful. The scintillation was excellent, the stone appeared ''chunky'' inside (in a lovely way) - actually reminded me of a checkerboard. It did not seem to have much fire (at least inside the store). I am trying to find more info on transitional cuts - I know it was during the transition to modern brilliant cuts. Can anyone suggest somewhere I can go to read more about it? Have not found anything very in depth on the subject.

Also, should this cut be expected to carry a higher premium? Would that be b/c there are not many of them around? Thanks!

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/27/2006 8:49:12 PM
Author::)
I went to a jeweler, and while looking around the young man who was working in there brought out an estate piece that they had that was a transitional cut. It was beautiful. The scintillation was excellent, the stone appeared ''chunky'' inside (in a lovely way) - actually reminded me of a checkerboard. It did not seem to have much fire (at least inside the store). I am trying to find more info on transitional cuts - I know it was during the transition to modern brilliant cuts. Can anyone suggest somewhere I can go to read more about it? Have not found anything very in depth on the subject.

Also, should this cut be expected to carry a higher premium? Would that be b/c there are not many of them around? Thanks!
Hi :)

If you do a search for "Old Mine or Old European Cut" diamonds you will find quite a bit of information.
"Antique cut" as well as "transitional cut" might also be mentioned.
Although these cuts can be very beautiful and there are many lovers of these cuts, they are actually priced less than today''s modern round brilliant cut.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
we generally call the stones that have short lower girdle facets Transition cuts - they are usually around or post WWI.

They were usually the early stones that were cut by sawing and then bruting or rounding - 2 major technical advances - and often technological advances came after wars.

Then during the next 50 or so years the lower girdle facets got longer until we have our modern brilliant.

Almost all old cut and old mine diamonds have the same facets as todays modern round brilliant.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you both for responding. It is interesting that they were charging a premium for a 1.03 carat transitional cut.

That said, does the shorter lgf explain why the scintillation was very high (diff bet light and dark more pronounced?)
Also, does that in any way contribute to why it did not appear to have much fire?

Thanks for mentioning # of facets too - I had done a thread search, but there was not much just specfiically on transitional cuts.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/28/2006 4:46:25 PM
Author: :)
Thank you both for responding. It is interesting that they were charging a premium for a 1.03 carat transitional cut.
There are now a few companies making old mine cuts because they could get a niche additional value - mostly supplying replacement stones to match lost ones I guess.
whenever there is restricted supply and more demand prices go up - then there would be people cutting to fill the demand.
It can also be salesman spin

That said, does the shorter lgf explain why the scintillation was very high (diff bet light and dark more pronounced?) http://www.ideal-scope.com/manuf_fine_tuning.asp this link shows how the facets get bigger and ''blocky'' - you can see this as a more chequer board pattern - which can appear to have stronger bang bang scintillation than say a princess cut or radiant with broken glass effects.
Also, does that in any way contribute to why it did not appear to have much fire? less frequent but bigger flashes

Thanks for mentioning # of facets too - I had done a thread search, but there was not much just specfiically on transitional cuts. yes - they all have 57 plus culet

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results