shape
carat
color
clarity

Transitional Cut -- What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Trying this again! I couldn't reply to my original post to add more pictures...and then it seems like my post disappeared completely!

So, this is a transitional cut we are considering to replace the irradiated blue diamond in my e-ring. I fell in love with transitions when we were going around antique/estate shops looking at rings, but the ring setting we fell for was already set with the blue diamond.

The stats listed for the transitional diamond are:

.60ct
VS clarity
H color
5.4mm (I'd have to inquire after the other measurements)
$900 including the 14k yellow gold setting, which we would be selling

We'd love your opinions since we are still pretty new to the diamond-buying scene. What do you think of this diamond? Do the given specs seem to be accurate (as far as you can tell from the pics)? Is the price fair? Personally I love it and think it's gorgeous, but I don't want to get taken in. To me, it looks so gorgeous that I almost think it's been photoshopped, lol.

transitioncut000.jpg

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
And a profile:

transitioncut001.jpg

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Another top view:

transitioncut002.jpg

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
And a bonus shot of my e-ring :3

jensbluediamondering.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it sure does look purrdy...

the other measurements will tell you more about the cut
1.gif

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
gorgeous! its soo bright and white

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does look pretty and seems like a decent price.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks lovely in the pics. To be sure it is what it is purported to be, take it to an indepedent appraiser and make sure there is an unconditional retrun policy that allows ample time to check it out.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
And can you start a thread about your e-ring? The setting looks lovely.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks really pretty and should be gorgeous in your setting!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I don''t know if it''s worth the price, but it''s sooo pretty!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I like the profile- it looks like it has a nice high crown and a mediumish table, which I prefer to the lower/flatter crowns and large tables TCs often have- and the patterning of the facets looks like a nice attractive mix between RB & OEC. Can't say if the price is good or not as I usually love the lower colors and am more familiar with their pricing. But it looks like a good possibility anyway. Make sure your appraiser knows something about antique cuts- some don't- and that you've got a return window.
1.gif
Good luck! Your setting looks lovely- we'd love to see some closeups
3.gif
Give it a good test run in different lighting and look to make sure all the facets are lively- you don't want to see all the fire coming from *only* from the edges of the stone, for example, which is often what mediocre-cut old cuts do. You want to see the center facets light up too.

stci

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is wow! The price seem correct to me.
36.gif

It''s possible you can''t get more specifications on the diamond cause the old cut are not usually certified.

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 12:08:24 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I like the profile- it looks like it has a nice high crown and a mediumish table, which I prefer to the lower/flatter crowns and large tables TCs often have- and the patterning of the facets looks like a nice attractive mix between RB & OEC. Can''t say if the price is good or not as I usually love the lower colors and am more familiar with their pricing. But it looks like a good possibility anyway. Make sure your appraiser knows something about antique cuts- some don''t- and that you''ve got a return window.
1.gif
Good luck! Your setting looks lovely- we''d love to see some closeups
3.gif
Give it a good test run in different lighting and look to make sure all the facets are lively- you don''t want to see all the fire coming from *only* from the edges of the stone, for example, which is often what mediocre-cut old cuts do. You want to see the center facets light up too.

Great feedback everyone, thank you! It''s funny, I never considered myself a diamond girl, but ever since getting engaged, I just eat this stuff up! I think it''s all thanks to the old cuts, the newer cuts don''t do much for me.

About the fire around the edges and none in the center that you mention, do you think that this diamond is showing signs of that characteristic in these photos?

I think we''ll go ahead and give it a shot though...I can''t stop looking at it, lol. I''ve been keeping a Firefox window open to its picture and swap over to it several times a day. XD My heart stops a little every time I see it...I hope it lives up to the pictures!

I just shot an email off to an appraiser listed on pricescope who includes antiques in her area of expertise, so hopefully we can set up an appointment.

For starting a thread on my e-ring''s setting, where would I do that? In the Show Me the Ring section?

starshine

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/10/2010 10:09:17 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
And can you start a thread about your e-ring? The setting looks lovely.

Yes! Head over to SMTR and share! It looks lovely!
30.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the pics, it appears lovely!

I love your e-ring too!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2010 12:35:49 PM
Author: tigerhearted

Date: 2/11/2010 12:08:24 AM
Author: LittleGreyKitten
I like the profile- it looks like it has a nice high crown and a mediumish table, which I prefer to the lower/flatter crowns and large tables TCs often have- and the patterning of the facets looks like a nice attractive mix between RB & OEC. Can't say if the price is good or not as I usually love the lower colors and am more familiar with their pricing. But it looks like a good possibility anyway. Make sure your appraiser knows something about antique cuts- some don't- and that you've got a return window.
1.gif
Good luck! Your setting looks lovely- we'd love to see some closeups
3.gif
Give it a good test run in different lighting and look to make sure all the facets are lively- you don't want to see all the fire coming from *only* from the edges of the stone, for example, which is often what mediocre-cut old cuts do. You want to see the center facets light up too.

Great feedback everyone, thank you! It's funny, I never considered myself a diamond girl, but ever since getting engaged, I just eat this stuff up! I think it's all thanks to the old cuts, the newer cuts don't do much for me.

About the fire around the edges and none in the center that you mention, do you think that this diamond is showing signs of that characteristic in these photos?

I think we'll go ahead and give it a shot though...I can't stop looking at it, lol. I've been keeping a Firefox window open to its picture and swap over to it several times a day. XD My heart stops a little every time I see it...I hope it lives up to the pictures!

I just shot an email off to an appraiser listed on pricescope who includes antiques in her area of expertise, so hopefully we can set up an appointment.

For starting a thread on my e-ring's setting, where would I do that? In the Show Me the Ring section?
It's nothing you can tell from photos unfortunately- it's just what a poor performing old cut is like in person mostly. Basically when you tilt the stone around to look at the sparkle, you will notice that the center facets are not really doing much- just sitting there. A good performing old cut should have edge to edge performance, just like a good round brilliant will- as you play with it the big chunky facets in the middle flash, and the ones around the edges too. Really bad cut old stones sometimes have a visibly *dark* center, but the more subtly not-so-well-cut ones mostly just have lazy center facets from what I've seen... no glaringly obvious dark center but that most of the fire flashes you see when you play with it are the smaller edge facets. (Of course there's plenty of other ways an old stone can be a poor performer but that's what I tend to see the most in person, it seems like.)

I do like that the TC you found has a smaller table than many of them, and a higher crown. It could very well be a nice performing one. Usually the less fiery old cuts tend to have a low crown, or a biggish table or both. And TCs often have a low crown and a big table, which is often why Old European Cuts are more my thing... but this TC could very well be a lot more fiery than most
18.gif
Good TCs often are often balanced towards white light return rather than fire, probably because of the lower crown and bigger table thing. At least in my experience- my TC is definitely a good performer, but has the low crown/big table thing, and thus has a whole lot more white light than fire compared to my OECs.

It sounds like it is definitely calling your name- that's a good sign
9.gif
You kinda do know when an old cut speaks to you, y'know? I think I "visited" my e-ring OEC several dozen times a day while I was trying to decide on it. At least! Glad you found a likely appraiser. Definitely get some pics posted when you receive it!

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the info LittleGrey! I''ll keep all that in mind and check it out when it gets in!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Although it will make no difference in the beauty of the diamond, the correct terminology for this cut would be "old European cut". A typical "transition cut" is the stone faceting type between the old European cut and the modern cut. Those stones had larger tables, many a lot larger than 60%, and were often rather shallow in depth compared to Old Euro cuts. It does look like a very nicely brilliant stone that you have found.

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
It''s here!!! This stone has blown me away~~
30.gif
I''ll be taking it in for appraisal tomorrow.

Some shots in indirect sunlight.

indirectsunfar.jpg

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
It seems to be gorgeous from every angle. *_* The setting is prettier than I expected. But it's too high for my taste and lifestyle. We're thinking of getting a custom setting done by Green Lake Jewelry, since it is too small for my original e-ring setting. I'd start wearing my original e-ring on my right hand instead.

indirectsunangle.jpg

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Night-time lighting:

indoorsnighttimezoom.jpg

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Another nighttime shot:

indoorsnighttimefar.jpg

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
And under the fluorescent lighting in our bathroom.

fluorescentfar.jpg

tigerhearted

Shiny_Rock
Oops that last one was a little blurry. Meant to attach this one:

fluorescentfar2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results