shape
carat
color
clarity

Transition cut diamond - Need an Expert

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

april22

Rough_Rock
After doing tons of research and lots of looking, I found a ring I like, but have some questions. It is a solitaire, with a transition round brilliant stone graded by EGL -- USA as I-J, VS2, 3.6 carat. It was graded in the mounting (simple mounting), and the certification does not have certain measurements -- like the crown or pavilion proportions. The depth is 57.7%, table is 52%, polish is good, symmetry is good, fluorescence is faint, measurements 10.09x10.04x5.8mm. I have always heard that the EGL certifications were less stringent. The jeweler wants to sell the ring for $31k which is about 20% less than the EGL appraisal -- is this too much money? Should I trust the certification since it is missing some of the proportions? Are the proportions correct for a transition round brilliant stone? Any expert advice is greatly appreciated for this potential huge purchase.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Expert advice: Do not proceed without sufficient data to gauge the value of the ring or the quality of the diamond. You are not well enough informed to make a decision. Many transition cuts have small tables, but shallow crown angles. You just need more real data.

april22

Rough_Rock
This may sound stupid but how do I get that? I know the diamond can not be removed from the mounting to be examined to get the crown and pavilion measurements. The culet is medium and the girdle is thin to medium.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
April, I''m considering a transitional cut too - I love them because they have all the character of the old cuts with proportions closer to the modern rounds. Anyway, I recommend you locate an independent appraiser in your area and ask the seller to allow you to have it appraised by your appraiser. Do NOT allow him to use an appraiser of his choice, use yours. I was lucky in that the seller allowed me to "sign out" the ring as if I was a dealer - I signed a simple paper saying I took the ring for appraisal. I didn''t have to leave a deposit or anything though I was prepared to. See if you can do that. A good independent appraiser will be able to give you the "dealer to dealer" price, along with the aprox. % a shop/mall store, etc. would add on, then you need to factor in the fact that the guy pays rent for his shop, etc. And you can determine a fair market price. But ask the appraiser to tell you the "dealer" price, it''s a dark blue book that they use to look it up. If you''re not sure about an appraiser in your area, ask here and someone might be able to assist you.

FYI, based on my recent experience, make sure the appraiser doesn''t own/or is not affiliated with a jewelry store because it can color what they say. I went to a new appraiser recently and he dissed my stone endlessly, then tried to suggest he had a new GIA stone he could sell me for $5k less! Very unprofessional. I went to my old appraiser after that, who is not affiliated with a shop and it was a great experience. Good luck!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/16/2007 11:46:08 AM
Author: april22
This may sound stupid but how do I get that? I know the diamond can not be removed from the mounting to be examined to get the crown and pavilion measurements. The culet is medium and the girdle is thin to medium.

If the diamond is in a "simple mounting" why can''t it be unset?

An appraiser can estimate angles, of the stone, but far better if is is scanned by a Sarin etc.

In that this is a sizable purchase, the more accurate the analysis of it is, the better reconciling the quality to the value would be a lot more accurate too.

I would not suggest that you take the EGL/UGS value as meaning very much. Get a knowledgeable appraiser with the equipment and the experience of valuing in various markets to do this.

If the seller isn''t willing to unset the stone for you to check, and reset it, I''d think twice about buying it. If the seller knows that is your requirement to purchase, and he wants to make the sale, he''ll find a way to get it unset so you can buy it informed rather than by "guessing".

Rockdoc

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results