shape
carat
color
clarity

tranny diamond help

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am not too familiar with trannys and can't tell how the performance of this stone would be. I have requested a video from the vendor, but in the meantime here are some photos! I kind of do not like having no culet and might consider cutting one, but not sure how that would look with a tranny.

Weight: ~3.04 ct
Dimensions: 9.7 x 9.7mm
Depth: 60%
Girdle: Thin - Slightly Thick
Clarity: Sl1
Color: O-P
Symmetry: Fair
Polish: Good

__157_1.jpg
__517_0.jpg
__57_2.jpg

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not recommend that diamond. See how in the face on shot all you see in the center is maybe three or four irregular blocks rather than eight mains or more? You won't see crisp patterning in that stone -- meaning a pleasing pattern of light and dark facets that moves nicely as the stone moves -- which tends to make a diamond look a little flat or lifeless. It's not well cut in my opinion.

What is the price?

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you Dreamer_D! It's priced very low and I suspect because the center does look lifeless in the handful of photos. I asked for a video to see if I could get a better visual on the center activity. Thanks for your input :)

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Do you think a re-cut could perhaps save this stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gonna have to wait for the video. Also tell the seller we don't give a hoot about the setting and we need the focus on the center stone only with lots of close ups.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
joolsiepetunia|1400101148|3672886 said:
Thank you Dreamer_D! It's priced very low and I suspect because the center does look lifeless in the handful of photos. I asked for a video to see if I could get a better visual on the center activity. Thanks for your input :)

What is priced "low" by your standards? Don't be coy, this is part of evaluating the diamond.

No, I don't recommend buying a diamond for a recut unless its loose and you have a close relationship with someone who can evaluate the diamond for a recut within the return period. This diamond has a very large table and it is shallow, so it won't lend itself to a good recut IMO (though it depends on the look you are after). I also don't like recutting the facet patterning on old cuts as a rule. Someone will buy and love that diamond as it is. Maybe you. But it would not be me ;))

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Still waiting for photos and video. It's priced just over 10K. Thanks you!!!

puppalini

Rough_Rock
joolsiepetunia|1400098507|3672857 said:
I am not too familiar with trannys ..

I have to ask... what is a tranny?
In NZ it's a slang word for a transexual/transgender person and I got a lot of dodgy results when I Googled 'tranny diamond' :/

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
puppalini|1400109359|3672983 said:

In NZ it's a slang word for a transexual/transgender person and I got a lot of dodgy results when I Googled 'tranny diamond' :/

Transitional diamond. It's is a diamond that is neither a modern round brilliant (MRB) or an Old European Cut (OEC) but rather displays characteristics of both (Tranny).

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
puppalini|1400109359|3672983 said:

Transitional diamond. A diamond cut between OEC and modern round brilliant.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh and here in the US too a Tranny is a Transgender individual. It's only these boards where "Tranny" means Transitional Diamond. Very board specific slang. =)

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Haha Gypsy that is most certainly right!!

Ugh still no new images!! The vendor is slow to respond so maybe it will be tomorrow :snore:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
The appraisal states there is a chip that extends from crown to the pavillion. Can you ask him to get a close up of the chip?

Hera

Ideal_Rock
It doesn't hurt to ask for a return policy. I agree with Fortekitty to get a close up of that chip. Otherwise, I think it has some promise.

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yep I asked for that. There are no returns so I am weary. I think my initial gut of uncertainty was right. I just needed some reassurance from the experts here!! I'll wait to see more photos and the video, but I think this is likely a pass although the price is great.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone sent me the listing for this one, and I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole based on the pics and no returns. A deal is only a deal if.... It's really well cut ;))

joolsiepetunia

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Dreamer_D|1400136562|3673267 said:
Someone sent me the listing for this one, and I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole based on the pics and no returns. A deal is only a deal if.... It's really well cut ;))

Thanks so much for your help :)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're welcome! Some others think its worth more consideration, so don't let me opinion sway you too much. If you can negotiate a return policy then it could be worth seeing... but I am not optimistic.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results