shape
carat
color
clarity

Trade-in: Should I have the lab look at the diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

VINA

Rough_Rock
I am about to trade-in my stones. Should I have a local lab look at the diamond to make sure that there is no chip or damage before I send it back (by mail) to a pricescope vendor?

They charge $25 to have a quick look at the diamond to confirm that it''s perfect and it''s exactly what the certificate says it is. I loupe the diamond myself (still in setting) and see no chip.

I don''t mind about the cost. I just don''t want to take 1/2 day off work to do this...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
as far as I know most vendors will send it back to the lab for a new cert once you trade it in and will have to have it checked out any way to process your trade. I probably would just let them handle it and save yourself the time and money.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/13/2006 10:05:01 PM
Author: mrssalvo
as far as I know most vendors will send it back to the lab for a new cert once you trade it in and will have to have it checked out any way to process your trade. I probably would just let them handle it and save yourself the time and money.
Ditto MrsSalvo.

VINA

Rough_Rock
What if a vendor tell you that their is a chip on your stone and start deducting thousands off your trade-in allowance? Not all vendors are trustworthy you know?

Does vendors here take in consideration that the stone will have a few blemish and not deduct any thing off your trade-in allowance or do they expect the stone to look perfect like when I came out of the cutter shop?

Anyone with trade-in experience here?

Alastor

Rough_Rock
You piqued my interest what do you mean trade in?
Are you suggesting that you bought your diamond somewhere, and going to sell it to someone here, put the difference against the purchase of another better stone the same vendor is buying and selling off of you? Sorry for the run on sentence, I didn''t know how else to put it!!

I thought when you did an upgrade, EG from bluenile, you buy the stone from them and within 5 years you can send it back and upgrade. It sounds to me like she is selling her stone to a dealer here and will put that cash against a newer stone from the buyer, who also sells diamonds.

Can someone clarify this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results