shape
carat
color
clarity

Trade in G / VS1 2.03 carat diamond

anik7648

Rough_Rock
Hi

I had purchased a GIA certified G / VS1/ 2.03 carat diamond from a dealer in diamond district almost 10 years ago. I am thinking about trading it in for a 3 carat H VS.

I spoke to Whiteflash and they said it’s not common for them to take in a GIA certified trade in that they didn’t originally sell. B2C doesn’t do that either.

I don’t want to trade if in unless I can get over 80% of the current market rate. Is there an option for that?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that is being very optimistic. What are equivalent diamonds going for today compared to your 80% of the original price?
I think your % needs to be lower to be able to find a vendor willing to go for it. Unfortunately, I dont know how low. Did you try
going back to the vendor you bought it from?

Can you post the GIA report?

Did you try here to see what kind of offers you might get?

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I sold my 3 carat cushion back to the jeweler my x husband purchased from in 04. I took an obvious hit but it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I’d go that route. Just a thought.

ETA: I didn’t get an 80% return. I went in with low expectations so I wouldn’t get disappointed.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MamaBee just sold her diamond and had a fair experience. Maybe she can tell you?

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi

I had purchased a GIA certified G / VS1/ 2.03 carat diamond from a dealer in diamond district almost 10 years ago. I am thinking about trading it in for a 3 carat H VS.

I spoke to Whiteflash and they said it’s not common for them to take in a GIA certified trade in that they didn’t originally sell. B2C doesn’t do that either.

I don’t want to trade if in unless I can get over 80% of the current market rate. Is there an option for that?

I’m not sure you will get 80% back. It doesn’t seem doable from a vendor unless you purchase your upgrade from them. I just recently sold my diamond 2.03 vs1G that turned out being a F when submitted to GIA...Abe Mor in New York buys diamonds..but also sells them. I would contact them to see what they can do..If you purchase your upgrade from them they may give you a better price than if you were just selling the diamond..They were very fair, honest, and the communication was excellent.

anik7648

Rough_Rock
I will contact AbeMor. When I bought it in 2010, I had paid $26k and I had inside source at one of the largest wholesaler in diamond district.

Current prices I see are about $22k-$26k.
Any idea of how much I could expect to receive for this?

9BDAAFCF-A326-4E90-96F9-D54DAA01C444.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will contact AbeMor. When I bought it in 2010, I had paid $26k and I had inside source at one of the largest wholesaler in diamond district.

IMO, Depending on how well cut your current is. You would be very lucky to receive 70% of your purchase price.

anik7648

Rough_Rock
Here is the cert. I was hesitating to upload because it doesn’t meet the standards of people on this forum. I love the ring and only reason to upgrade is size. So I just wasn’t prepared to hear how pavilion angle is too deep, even though I know it is, and HCA score is not great, even though I know it is. A1AFA6BE-016B-4670-9526-2E633B264EE5.jpeg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade

For 80% of those numbers a dealer could buy a factory fresh cut diamond with little risk.
Your's will need a new report before being salable and may have condition issues.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'll throw out a WAG. $15K-$17K.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jumping in to say 80% is very very unlikely.

anik7648

Rough_Rock
Thanks all for your inputs. Appreciate you all setting my expectations right.

It is quite unlikely I will upgrade now but have contacted AbeMor anyway.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you thought about changing the setting to a halo? It will give you more finger coverage.

anik7648

Rough_Rock
Have you thought about changing the setting to a halo? It will give you more finger coverage.

My current setting is sort of like Legato. I like it a lot and would stick with something similar if I upgraded the diamond.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

anik7648

Rough_Rock
One thing I started thinking of today was that if I don’t get a good price and I still can’t let go of the upgrade idea, maybe I just keep the 2 carat and get it re-set. Eg using yellow diamond halo.

Eg something like the attached ring (even though this is cushion).

Has anyone done something like that?

1994A371-1EF6-4052-883B-ECD4C9962985.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lots of people have put their solitaires into halos to get more finger coverage. Very common.
Diamonds by Lauren does different colored halos. Most people do white halos though.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi

I don't think 80% is a reasonable expectation... I believe 55-65% would be more likely.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think 80% is a reasonable expectation... I believe 55-65% would be more likely.

This! I can only go by my personal experience and having a stone that had value due to its size.
I’m not a fan of halos but I do love delicate ones. I saved this picture in case I ever wanted to halo my diamond bc my current ER is much smaller than my previous and I miss the finger coverage. I love delicate halos. This could be a PSer’s ring but not sure. Oh and I also love a yellow halo like you posted and sapphires too. Oh and rubies. Lol I just love colored stones! F44528EC-FCAD-4C1D-AABD-338144CE9832.jpeg

simbelmyne

Rough_Rock
With diamond trade-ins, definitely have lower expectations. 80% is very unlikely unless you're upgrading at the same vendor for a bigger diamond. In my personal experience I had a bluenile diamond with excellent specs and WF took it at about 70% of the original price for trade-in.

NicoleNeedsHelp

Brilliant_Rock
I recently sold a diamond. The stone was brand new (I bought it new and then realized it was too small for me. My GIA report was less than a few months old when I sold it). I took the stone to dealers and most dealers were willing to give me about 60-70% of what I paid. I ended up selling the stone privately to a lovely PSer. You may want to consider a private sale. You could always list it and see if you get any bites. Good luck

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results