shape
carat
color
clarity

Tow trucks

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why do tow companies always feel somewhat sleazy? I can't put my finger on it but I got the same impression from the 3 I have had contact with (including one that was certainly sleazy, since they ripped my friend off).

Yup, guess who had to get her car towed this weekend? :((

erinl

Brilliant_Rock
My car was totalled while sitting in front of my house--a drunk stole an ambulance and took it for a joyride--into my car and 4 others. It was a big scene, tons of cops, fire trucks etc. It happened in the middle of the night, whole mess concluded at about 4 am. What I didn't expect were all the unsolicited tow trucks-- I guess a couple neighbors own towing businesses and witnessed the accident. Starting at 4 am, they kept ringing my bell and saying I had to tow my car or the city would ticket me (not true). One of them got pretty rude, I ended up having to bring the police back! So I am a little wary of tow trucks myself.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I deal only with owner/operators.
They are usual much better to deal with than the large outfits.
I keep a list of a few in my wallet.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
They have a job to do just like many of us... it's unfortunate that most of them give us the creeps (me included)

It's a very dangerous job too...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Making money doing something that makes people sad/mad is a rough spot to be in. I never blame tow truck companies though. If people get towed it's their own fault! (And yes, I have been towed for unpaid parking tickets before! :cheeky: )

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
BTW, I now live in Philly where they ticket and tow every day of the week. Only city in the country that tickets and tows on Sunday! Good thing I don't have a car anymore! :cheeky: (My husband has a car but we pay for a parking spot for it.)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn't there some crazy tow truck show? we watched it in a hotel a couple years ago, but I can't remember. I think it was in NJ or Philly or something?

audball

Ideal_Rock
We have a lot of apartment complexes around here that tow. I'm fine with it as long as there are enough marked visitor/guest spots. My friend lives in a complex that has less than 10 guest spots. It frustrates me so much we never do anything at her place because I'm not willing to take the risk of being towed.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I keep a number of a good tow truck company in my wallet; I have dealt with one bad one so now I hang on to a good company's number. I think the AAA guys are pretty helpful if you don't mind paying for a membership.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn't there some crazy tow truck show? we watched it in a hotel a couple years ago, but I can't remember. I think it was in NJ or Philly or something?

kefira

Shiny_Rock
They seem kind of parasitic, if you ask me. They charge you up the wazoo just because they can. So glad I don't drive.

audball

Ideal_Rock
We have a lot of apartment complexes around here that tow. I'm fine with it as long as there are enough marked visitor/guest spots. My friend lives in a complex that has less than 10 guest spots. It frustrates me so much we never do anything at her place because I'm not willing to take the risk of being towed.

kiett98

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild said:

Parking Wars. I enjoy watching it onDemand on the weekends.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry about your car Lady Disdain!

I feel that way about anyone you need in an emergency. For the most part they have you over a barrel so to speak and you are sort of at their mercy. I always get uneasy when I need help and have few options. Tow truck is but one. When our A/C broke on a hot holiday weekend I was uneasy as well. You will pay whatever you need to in order to get relief. Same thing with Sandy right now. People need help and I am concerned that some will be taken advantage of. Sad but true. Did you guys hear the stories of gasoline price gouging that was happening?

I don't know- I sometimes feel overwhelmed by how many dishonest people there are and I am bit cynical about it all. My dh OTOH is very trusting so perhaps we balance each other out... ::)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just call AAA.
They screen and send a tow truck out.
I've never gotten sleaze vibes from the guys... then again maybe you mean men hitting on women vibes.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I once had a tow truck driver who felt so bad for me after towing my Pontiac Fiero for the umteenth time that he bought me lunch. It was only Al's Italian Beef, but I appreciated the gesture.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1352756079|3304672 said:
I once had a tow truck driver who felt so bad for me after towing my Pontiac Fiero for the umteenth time that he bought me lunch. It was only Al's Italian Beef, but I appreciated the gesture.

Some of those guys are cute.
So, was he good in bed?

:( :saint: 8) :loopy: :???: :idea: :oops: :tongue: :love: :mrgreen:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
kenny|1352751801|3304599 said:
I've never gotten sleaze vibes from the guys... then again maybe you mean men hitting on women vibes.

Nope, I mean the "I will rip you off vibes".

Like Missy said, a lot of emergency services charge outrageously, if not outright hold you hostage (my friend's car was held, for example), since you aren't in a position to compare prices. I have no problem with market economy but exploiting people is not ok.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1352757851|3304704 said:
Dee*Jay|1352756079|3304672 said:

Some of those guys are cute.
So, was he good in bed?

:( :saint: 8) :loopy: :???: :idea: :oops: :tongue: :love: :mrgreen:

Ha! The relationship only went as far as a dipped shaved beef* and some fries.

(*And why does that sound so dirty?!?)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results