shape
carat
color
clarity

Tourmaline - halo or 3-stone?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
I was thinking of a rose gold/diamond halo for this tourmaline. But a tiny voice in my head is now whispering "3 stone"....

What do you think of these colors/proportions? These pics are so terrible, but the best I could do -- The spinel side stones are a very light violet pink, not grey. The tourm is lighter in color most of the time and not quite as greenish/saturated. In person, the saturation on the tourmaline and spinel are much closer. I also have a very light blue emerald cut sapphire that could pair well with the pink sidestones.... What do you think? Are the sidestones too small? I think tapered baguettes would also look great here, but I may not have the finger space for that.

tourm_ring.png

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Another view of the sidestones, showing a bit more color:
I don't know why they are photographing so grey.

_33896.jpg

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think 3 stone rings are dateless (especially with the shapes you're thinking of). I don't know why but I feel like halos are a bit outdated now (as everything seemed to have a halo a few years ago). I'm not convinced about teaming the gorgeous tourmaline with pink side stones though - but that's a personal preference because I often think "what would I wear with this?" and I don't know that I'd wear that combo with many things. As I said though, that's purely personal and if you'd get a lot of wear out of it then go for it! :D

Edit: I've been looking for some similar side stones - would you mind sharing where you bought them please?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingbunny10|1441220039|3922738 said:
I was thinking of a rose gold/diamond halo for this tourmaline. But a tiny voice in my head is now whispering "3 stone"....

What do you think of these colors/proportions? These pics are so terrible, but the best I could do -- The spinel side stones are a very light violet pink, not grey. The tourm is lighter in color most of the time and not quite as greenish/saturated. In person, the saturation on the tourmaline and spinel are much closer. I also have a very light blue emerald cut sapphire that could pair well with the pink sidestones.... What do you think? Are the sidestones too small? I think tapered baguettes would also look great here, but I may not have the finger space for that.

OOOOh I love that tourmaline! The way you have them placed is really quite pretty, and I don't think the side stones are too small. I think it would also look good with the sides tones E-W as an alternative to how you have it placed there (with the stones vertically placed on the side of the tourmaline). In my head it would look kind of like this type of E-ring except with CS instead (see pic below). I think that what be what you mean about the tapered baguette stones, but not 100% sure--sorry, I dont know all the terms :)

detail_primary_M1PC3051C_ME_TABLEVIEW1_SHADOW.jpg

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
LD - I agree that everything is halos these days, so I'm looking to branch out a bit. I'm not too matchy with my jewelry, so I'm not worried about the colors clashing with outfits, just worried about whether the stone colors go together. I got these spinels from Jeff Davies. He was selling various spinel and diamond sidestones a few months ago.

lovedogs - Yes, that's what I'm talking about re: baguettes! I love that look, though I'd probably go for a plain shank.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Here's what the sapphire would look like with these sidestones. Interesting how the spinel traps almost look like diamonds here.... The pink/lavender color almost disappears in certain lights when paired with the blue sapphire.

sapphire_ring.png

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingbunny10|1441222925|3922759 said:
Here's what the sapphire would look like with these sidestones. Interesting how the spinel traps almost look like diamonds here.... The pink/lavender color almost disappears in certain lights when paired with the blue sapphire.

hmm this is a hard choice! I feel like the shape of the sidestones almost "fits" better with the sapphire, but I think the color pops more with the tourmaline, and I tend to like pops of color. Of course they are still beautiful with the sapphire, but I think their lovely pink color gets a bit lost here. But you really can't go wrong with either combo as a 3-stone since both are beautiful!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pink sidestones make such a stunning combo with the green tourmaline :love: :love: :love: . It will look great as a 3-stone.

I agree with the previous poster that the pink seems to disappear when combined with the sapphire. The sapphire will also look great as a 3-stone but I would reserve these particular pinks for the tourmaline.

Best advice however is to do what really sings to you.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The shapes look most proportional with the blue sapphire but colour-wise, I like the emerald combo best.

S

SparkliesLuver

blingbunny10 said:

If you're unsure about the size, make paper cutouts of the stones - it'll be challenging, but it's worth the effort - and then put them on your finger. That way you can visually see if the size is too big or how you feel about it.

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Three stone. What size ring do you wear?

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks all, for your opinions. The cutout thing is a great idea, though I don't know how someone as uncrafty as myself would get accurate measurements! ElleW - this would probably be for a 5.25-5.5 or so ring size, depending on whether I wear it on my ring finger or middle finger.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
(Btw I know it's been ages since I started this thread. Was taking a few days off bc so many threads were getting clogged with spam/ troll work. :nono: )

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how the pink and the green combination bring out the best in each other, but I love pairing warm and cool stones for that reason. I think it will be a lovely ring, and I like the proportions as well.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock
Another vote for 3 stone, the square will set the sides off perfectly.
Are you thinking of doing rose gold with the 3 stone? My first thought was white gold for such pale colors, also I am not overly fond of rose gold. HOWEVER, I think in this case rose gold might look fantastic...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As a very rough guideline, consider the diameter of your finger as the approximate length of the top of your finger (since the finger curves but you don't want the sidestones down between the fingers). So you would have around 16mm to play with or more with tapered baguettes (since they are set at a slant and can flow with the curvature better).

Did you see the blog this week - that would look amazing with your luscious tourmaline.

https://www.pricescope.com/blog/3-carat-radiant-engagement-ring

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blingbunny10|1441222925|3922759 said:

While all the stones are pretty, they really don't do anything for each other. I like the other combo much better.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
The tourmaline is gorgeous, I like the three stone combo, but I am not a halo fan usually.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results