shape
carat
color
clarity

Total Wedding Budget

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lilylover

Shiny_Rock

Hey, girls. Admittedly, I am not even engaged yet. However, I know for sure that I will be getting married summer of 2010, so an engagement is coming some time this summer. Point being, I am already looking at venues and what not.

BF and I will be straight out of college, so neither of us will be able to contribute much at all to the wedding costs. Most likely my parents will pay for nearly everything. My parents put me through college. I will have zero student loans, plus a paid off 2005 Honda civic when I move out. I am tremendously grateful for this!

Because they have been paying tuition costs/my car insurance/everything for the past 4 years since I have been in college, my wedding will have to be modest. We are thinking under 10k for the whole thing, preferably around 8k. Is this possible? I really want a nice, well put together wedding. I envision an elegant Sunday late morning wedding at a Bed and Breakfast with Brunch themed food.

Thankfully I''ll probably have a small wedding, we don''t know THAT many people, and neither of us have big families. 60 people at the MOST, probably less. I''ll definitely want a photographer (probably one of the most important things to me, I do a lot of photography myself), but I won''t need a band or a videographer or an open bar --things like that that tend to be costly.

How much money do you save doing things yourself (invitations, reception favors, center pieces, etc.)?

If anyone has any advice/thoughts/tips I''d love to hear what you have to say!

Thanks in advance.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
I think it could be done. A lot of it will depend on where you live. Nothing can skyrocket a budget like geography.
38.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
10K sounds possible for what you're envisioning. Like redfaerythinker says, it does depend on geography, especially when it comes to venues, food, and photography (which were my highest costs). Having only 60 people will help, and so does having a wedding on a Sunday in the morning.

I am doing my own invitations, flowers (bouquets, boutonnieres, centerpieces), and veil, and I think it's saving us tons. We also save by having no favors, programs, videography, wedding planner, Save the Dates, transportation, band or DJ, garter or bouquet toss (eliminates need for extra toss bouquet), only having wine/beer at the bar. We're having a friend officiate and having student musicians for the ceremony, and I bought my dress online for way cheaper than it could be found at any local store. All those things really do add up.

Best of luck with your planning!

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
That sounds definitely doable! And very sweet too, I might add.
2.gif

It depends on the DIY stuff. Invites I think can save money, and there are lots of things (STDs, favors, programs, etc) that can easily be cut out and no one would even notice. You have the benefit of lots of time to shop around for the best deals. I keep a crazy spreadsheet that has what I want, like a candle, and the cheapest to get it. Requires lots of patience though.
9.gif

White Orchid

Shiny_Rock
Yes, you can have an amazing wedding for under 10k. I did mine on 8k! And not to toot my own horn or anything, but I think I did a damn good job planning the wedding! I''d never been to a wedding before my own - so all I knew was what I read or saw in movies! I''ve been to a couple weddings since and was less than thrilled.

My biggest piece of advice is to take your time and shop around. Doing things yourself is often cheaper (favours, invitations, etc...). And if you don''t absolutely LOVE something, don''t feel pressured into buying it. The wedding''s a long way away yet, so enjoy the process and try not to stress about it!

The more guests you have = the more expensive your wedding will be. You might want to consider a small, intimate wedding without the relatives you only see once is a blue moon or casual acquaintances.

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
Ok, you ladies have given me hope already! :)

For the comment on it''ll depend on where I live --- I live in Austin, Texas. Not sure where that ranks as far as expenses. Probably somewhere in the middle.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Welcome! It certainly seems doable on your budget, you will just have to shop around and get DIYing! There is a whole sticky thread on DIY to get you inspired too
1.gif

meresal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 6:36:40 PM
Author: lilylover

For the comment on it''ll depend on where I live --- I live in Austin, Texas. Not sure where that ranks as far as expenses. Probably somewhere in the middle.
Welcome!! I''m actually going to at a wedding just south of Austin this weekend.

I think you can definitely do it, and it will be beautiful... but like honey said, there will be lots of DIY!!

My only initial piece of advice, if you are REALLY trying to keep the low budget, do NOT try on a dress that is higher than your budget. I know a few girls that were trying to keep a low budget (under 10k), and ended up blowing it because they couldn''t say no to the designer dress they just had to try on.

Are you from Texas??

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/2/2009 6:54:00 PM
Author: meresal

Date: 4/2/2009 6:36:40 PM
Author: lilylover

For the comment on it'll depend on where I live --- I live in Austin, Texas. Not sure where that ranks as far as expenses. Probably somewhere in the middle.
Welcome!! I'm actually going to at a wedding just south of Austin this weekend.

I think you can definitely do it, and it will be beautiful... but like honey said, there will be lots of DIY!!

My only initial piece of advice, if you are REALLY trying to keep the low budget, do NOT try on a dress that is higher than your budget. I know a few girls that were trying to keep a low budget (under 10k), and ended up blowing it because they couldn't say no to the designer dress they just had to try on.

Are you from Texas??
Thanks for the welcome!

Yes, I know all too much about the dress thing! A good friend of mine was initially trying for a low budget and fell in love with a designer dress and an expensive venue. I tried to get her to look elsewhere when it came to the dress, but it didn't do any good.

I've lived in Austin for about 7 years, but previous to that I moved around everywhere (California, Utah, Missouri).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think you can totally do it! I would start poking around now, since it''s a year away, look for wedding dresses and other stuff. Finding a dress for 1/2 off (and only 25% of my total dress budget!) really helped mine out.

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I think you can definitely do it! My cousin''s 7K wedding last year was one of the best weddings I''ve ever been to. It was elegant and laid back at the same time and so, so pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results