shape
carat
color
clarity

Total newbie to colored stones, opinions on this spinel?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey guys,

After yesterday I decided that I should start looking at loose spinels and build my own ring.

Just starting out and found a purple/pink cushion describes as follows:

"A very sweet, untreated, Ceylon spinel here, weighting 1.55 cts., medium-dark, intense purplish-pink color, masterly executed, antique cushion with flower pavilion, and measuring 7.01 x 6.27 x 4.54mm, eye flawless, VVS2 in clarity from the gem fields of Marapana, cut and polished in Ratnapura, Sri Lanka".

Is this a good stone? It looks to have pretty facets but that's just to my eyes and it is under my budget of $500.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Their one picture - I wouldn't go by it.
Ask for more and in different lighting.
Ask for clarification on return policy.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Rfisher, I sent the seller a message will post if I hear back.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked thru Kosnar gems stock?
I have no experience with them though.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Multicolour has a few pink sapphires that you might want to take a look at. When you see a stone from their list click the color to find out the saturation level. For example- you want to avoid stones that are listed as "greyish" in saturation. I would ask the vendor for a picture of the stone on a white background if you are interested in purchasing the sapphire you posted. It's hard to judge colored stones on dark backgrounds.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lisa! I'm going to scope that out on my computer since it is a bit overwhelming on an IPhone but I really appreciate all of your help.

Chroman, that is a pretty spinel! A bit small but I might have to compromise size for a strong color.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have FB Stephanie? There is a hot pink sapphire for sale on the Fine Faceted Gems and Cabs FB group that you might be interested in. It's a closed group so you have to send a member request. The seller has a good reputation and all stones listed require a 2 week return period. The sapphire is a little over a carat and $450. I would ask for better pics though.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fin...70222612997648/?sale_post_id=1570222612997648

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope I'm not making you guys crazy! As I was looking at settings trying to pin down a shape and possible ideas for how to set it. I found this ring. I know I said I wanted to go the stone route but what do you think about this?

Is it too delicate to wear daily? Even if this is a no go, the pear shape is definitely it for me and a pink stone (been looking mostly at spinel and sapphire for durability).

https://www.etsy.com/listing/522898...ery=pink sapphire pear ring&ref=sr_gallery_26

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have FB Stephanie? There is a hot pink sapphire for sale on the Fine Faceted Gems and Cabs FB group that you might be interested in. It's a closed group so you have to send a member request. The seller has a good reputation and all stones listed require a 2 week return period. The sapphire is a little over a carat and $450. I would ask for better pics though.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/fin...70222612997648/?sale_post_id=1570222612997648

I just wanted to say that I actually picked up this sapphire but ended up sending it back. The picture makes it look like a hot pink but in real life it didn't show that way. More of a light pink (I felt it had too much brown too). I suck at explaining the color so try not to hold it against me.:shifty:

I did take a pic with a few of my other pink gems. It's the stone at the top (closer to my finger nails). The picture is a little more saturated than in looks in real life. It did show as a hot pink under fluorescent lighting though.
IMG_1426.jpg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elle that stone on the bottom is really pretty.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elle that stone on the bottom is really pretty.

Thank you! It's a very well saturated reddish-pink spinel that I got with an assist from Arkieb1.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you see this one on loupetroop? Doesn't say the price but I think it's gorgeous.

IMG_3667.JPG
Thanks Livanni. That one is mine. I put a feeler out there because the price is negotiable.

I like the spinel ring listed (not mine) and think it is a great price.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Livanni, I did see both and they are really pretty but I'm aiming for a pear shape probably a pink sapphire. Those mahenges though :kiss:

livannie

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks Livanni. That one is mine. I put a feeler out there because the price is negotiable.

Your Spinel is gorgeous! One day I hope I will be able to add one like that to my collection of gemstones!
The other ring is very pretty too and it is a great price.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your Spinel is gorgeous! One day I hope I will be able to add one like that to my collection of gemstones!
The other ring is very pretty too and it is a great price.

Both of your spinels are gorgeous!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results