shape
carat
color
clarity

Torn between two temp solitaires....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi PS'ers:) I have this CBI coming to me tomorrow: https://www.hpdiamonds.com/en-us/diamonddetail/HPD10050

I am going to see the diamond to make sure I am ok with the K color, and then send it back to be set. I want a simple, sturday solitaire that I can wear daily. HPD is offering a free solitaire setting with the stone, and I am going to take advantage of that until I decide on the NY classic or the Boston classic. OR, I may just like the temp setting so much that I keep it. That option is definitely appealing. So I am torn between these two in 18k yellow gold OR white gold (I want to see which metal looks better with the stone before I decide.)

Option #1: https://www.stuller.com/products/bu...ndationSource=SiteSearchRAC#/mounting-options

Option #2: https://www.stuller.com/products/bu...ion&recommendationId=204442#/mounting-options

My concerns: I have heard that the stuller crown setting sits low. I don't want a really "low" setting, per se, but I also don't want a ring pop if you know what I mean. For my size stone and finger size (4.5) which setting would you choose?? I haven't seen a lot of posts from PS'ers who have the first one, but plenty have the second option and I'd love to hear from you!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I particularly don’t like the prong placement on the crown, so for that reason alone - option 1 gets my vote!

Exciting for you, hope you love your new stone.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I particularly don’t like the prong placement on the crown, so for that reason alone - option 1 gets my vote!

Exciting for you, hope you love your new stone.

I also think the prong placement is strange!!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! Swoon!
Nice choices both. I will leave a link to my fave Stuller below. I worry about the crown setting and stacking rings. If you do not want a gap, don’t get that one imo.
I like this or one that fits your stone in your metal color of course. The Stuller Solstice. I’ve had it and loved it.

ETA I tried to find yellow gold in your 8mm head size but failed. I suck at their site. Sorry!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also think the prong placement is strange!!

Phew! I am not the only one then. Beautiful setting otherwise. Btw I had the 4-prong version of the other setting you are considering. It was a good temp setting.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The second setting! I have loved that setting for a long time!

However, if you dont like the prong setting then??? I dont really like the first setting you picked (but the rings not for me, unfortunately)!

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the second ring. I had it for a few months and a few PSers also have that ring. I like that it has the large donut bc then you don’t have to worry about your diamond bands hitting the prongs.
I don’t like the first one for precisely that reason. There is no donut and your prongs will eventually get worn away.
Of course if this is a temp setting then it doesn’t really matter. But I still love the second one. If they made an eight prong version I would have gotten that as a permanent setting.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’d pick the first “ring pop” style setting, which I think would look fine (not top heavy) with a 2.12 carat stone. This will give you a sense of what your diamond will look like with a six prong Tiffany style setting like the High Performance Diamond’s New York Solitaire. (I love the HPD NY Solitaire, BTW, and wonder if you should just set it once, in that. There are some threads on the NY Solitaire see KristinTech’s for example.). The second setting has a more antique feel, and is set low, which you may or may not like with a very fiery lively stone like a CBI. One thing that I like about the first setting is that you can see the pavilion of the stone more, vs the second one where the stone is set down into a more chunky basket. So, first gives the diamond more visibility, IMO. Good luck! I can’t wait to see it on your hand!

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too really like the HPD NY solitaire - I think I'd have to bite the bullet and set it in that and enjoy it!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This! You know this is where you will end up so you might as well just get to it!

lol! RIght? SInce the setting is free though, I am going to get it set in the first solitaire I posted in white gold and wear it for a year! I want to give a solitaire a chance and this stone is SO bright edge to edge that it might be fine for me:)

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lol! RIght? SInce the setting is free though, I am going to get it set in the first solitaire I posted in white gold and wear it for a year! I want to give a solitaire a chance and this stone is SO bright edge to edge that it might be fine for me:)

Free?? Wow! Then yessss! Awesome!

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your CBI upgrade, how exciting!! :love:

Given the 2 Stuller options, I don't like the way the head looks on option 2, it covers up too much of the diamond for my taste.

That leaves option 1, which I like a bit more over option 2, but ultimately wouldn't choose it as it doesn't have a donut. For my own preference, I think not having a donut will eventually become a problem.

So I looked up the HPD NY Solitaire mentioned earlier. I'd choose that over the 2 Stuller options you posted! Nonetheless, what a fun problem to have! And good luck with your choices!

L

lydial

Congratulations!

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I have a setting very similar to your first link except it is 4 prongs. I like it just fine. I would probably like it much much better if the prongs were clawed and the stone sat in it less high. I'm pretty sure the setting I purchased was meant for an 8mm stone and I have a 7mm in there but since it was intended as a temporary setting I didn't care as much. I would say go with 1 if you really just intend it to be temporary. But if you find you like it maybe get a spacer if you intend to wear it with any bands regularly. It really is a nice setting if the stone fits properly inside it :)

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
I really love option 1. I did lots of hunting for such settings, and STRONGLY considered that setting because of @uyalison's thread on it...

I mean it would nearly essentially be the same for you... :kiss2:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love option 1. I did lots of hunting for such settings, and STRONGLY considered that setting because of @uyalison's thread on it...

I mean it would nearly essentially be the same for you... :kiss2:

Yes! Same color stone, metal, setting! Thank you for finding this thread!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your CBI upgrade, how exciting!! :love:

Given the 2 Stuller options, I don't like the way the head looks on option 2, it covers up too much of the diamond for my taste.

That leaves option 1, which I like a bit more over option 2, but ultimately wouldn't choose it as it doesn't have a donut. For my own preference, I think not having a donut will eventually become a problem.

So I looked up the HPD NY Solitaire mentioned earlier. I'd choose that over the 2 Stuller options you posted! Nonetheless, what a fun problem to have! And good luck with your choices!

Yes, this or the "Boston" classic from HPD. But right now they are offering me a free setting and I want to sit on it a while before deciding on a permanent (is this even a word in PS'er land? LOL!) setting.

kalomeli

Shiny_Rock
I have the option 2 in daily use and I love it.
I got it with the same idea as you: sitting on it for a while before getting another setting and on occasion I toy with the idea of setting a blingier setting, but so far (almost four years) I haven't found anything I like more.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Very classy and simple, yet sophisticated. Wish my wife liked a simple solitaire, this one rocks.

Added bonus, it has a slight taper into the diamond that helps the stone visually look larger.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results