shape
carat
color
clarity

Topaz or Zircon?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nwphew

Rough_Rock
I purchased this stone as a Zircon, but have been told by 3 different jewelers that its a Topaz. From the looks of the photo, is it a Zircon or Topaz?

IMG_1446(2).jpg

Jim Rentfrow

Shiny_Rock
Trade
None of us will say what it is by a photo. Send it to a lab to get it verified or to an independent gemologist appraiser.

jewelz617

Brilliant_Rock
I''m just here to agree with above comment
35.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It can be either. There’s no way to tell with any surety without any testing.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Yup. I can say that I just can''t say.

zeolite

Brilliant_Rock

Zircons have vastly higher birefringence than topaz. You can see this by examing the blue gem with a 10X loupe. Be sure to examine it in all directions, since the birefringence of zircon varies from strong to weak depending on what angle that you view it.

Go to a jewelry store or to some friend with a known true topaz. Each back facet of the gem will be doubled and will be parallel when viewed at 10X. If the doubled facets are very close to each other, it is topaz. If they are VERY widely spaced, it is zircon. It is very easy, for even an untrained person to see this, if you have a known blue topaz for comparison.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Zircon will also show a LOT more dispersion that topaz. If in strong light you see rainbow flashes of color like a diamond it is not topaz.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results