shape
carat
color
clarity

Too perfect?

40thGal

Rough_Rock
Hello,
My husband just gave me the nicest gift of Diamond Studs for my 40th! Since he knows me so well, part of the gift was I got to pick them out myself! My budget is $3,500. Initially, I thought I wanted 1CTW, basket settings. After trying a few paris on in person the only thing I am certain about is that .8 CTW is a great size on my earlobes (apparently small). Not too big not too small. At that size it seems my budget is more than adequate.

After doing a bunch of online research and combing the forums here I got more interested in Martini settings and I discovered BGD!

We live overseas and my studs will be brought over by a visiting family member. So, things are a little more complicated and shipping back and forth is possible but not as easy. I have two places locally to try on and compare. Hearts on Fire and Tiffany.

So, tonight I took my husband down to both places, HOF to see the martini setting and a good cut (I am making an assumption that the BGD would be equivalent), Tiffany for the basket and they had greater size selection. So, heres my question, is it possible for a diamond to be too perfect? We almost felt like the HOF in the martinis were too much. We both liked the Tiffany basket settings and noticed that my ears could hold a bigger pair. I'm so confused. Now I am wondering what a great cut would look like in the baskets.

My budget seems like I can buy it all, but now I am scared they will be too much or too perfect. Is this possible? Do I sound like a lunatic? I can afford F/G VS1 and a good cut. I am also worried that would simply be wasting money.

Thanks for any advice to help me sort this out. Thoughts?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You definitely want excellent/ideal cut no matter what. I can promise you that stones under a half carat are not going to be "too much". Mine are from Whiteflash and I have gradually traded in to have over a carat per ear now!

I prefer the flat bottoms of low set baskets like Tiffany has. I got classic platinum baskets similar to Tiffany's. The reason I like them is that they have a flat base which sits flat against the ear lobe. I would be afraid of martini settings enlarging my piercing holes the way they sit in the ear. I also prefer the symmetry (and safety) of an even number of prongs.

HoF may be technically more perfect than Tiffany, but Tiffany has excellent diamonds. So do not let that throw you off. I have superideal cut stones for my studs, but there is no way you could tell them apart from a Tiffany pair looking at them a few feet away. So I recommend going with the BG pair if they have what you want. Diamonds can look different in different lighting, and you will very rarely be in lighting like you saw in those jewelry stores!

Oh, and very important, you can go down in color in superideal cuts because they are going to face up white on the ears. I would never pay for F color for studs. Mine are H but many people here have I and J color. This will allow you to go up in size.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something to keep in mind - it's hard not to get your fingers all over studs when you're putting them on, and it's also hard to keep them pristine and clean on your ears. The beauty of super ideal diamonds? - they sparkle through the grime like nobody's business!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I get sooo many complements on my BGD .8ctw studs. People comment that they are the sparkliest diamonds they have ever seen. I would go down in color and clarity if budget is a concern, but don't sacrifice sparkle!

40thGal

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU!!!

This was just the reassurance I was looking for. I think the .8ish BGD in a platinum basket will be the ticket. Seriously, feeling a bit overwhelmed by the kindness of strangers.

Screw back or friction?

I like the idea of taking them off every night.... which would be friction, but in reality I sleep in my current studs and rarely take them off.

Is this just preference or is there any real advantage to one over the other?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screw backs hurt my ears, so I stick with friction backs.

40thGal

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006 Where are your baskets from? White flash? I am looking on BGD and Whiteflash. Would the settings on both sites be considered low and sitting close to the ear?
Thank you!

Q

Queenie60

I prefer friction backs - screw backs hurt my ears and are difficult to put on.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock
I have the three prong martini with a slightly larger friction back for a little more tension. Very comfortable. Btw, mine are K SI1's.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
40thGal|1461030348|4020969 said:
diamondseeker2006 Where are your baskets from? White flash? I am looking on BGD and Whiteflash. Would the settings on both sites be considered low and sitting close to the ear?
Thank you!

Whiteflash special ordered my low baskets (their regular ones are low-med), but I think BG's stock 4 prong baskets are low set. Just verify that with them, but I just looked and they appear to be the low set style.

I recommend friction backs for a couple of reasons. It really is better to take them off at night (less wear and tear for one thing). You might even keep a red jar of jewelry cleaner on your bathroom vanity and stick them in there at night and then the next morning once you are dressed and finished with hair and makeup, brush the pavilions for a few seconds, rinse with hot water and put them back on. Truly, keeping them clean will make them shine to the max! (Do I clean mine every time I wear them? No! lol! However, I do clean them after wearing two or three times). The more important reason for getting friction backs is that the threaded posts on screw back earrings can get worn over time and have to be replaced. So I always get friction backs. That is a good price for platinum settings, too.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ponder|1461034366|4020991 said:
I have the three prong martini with a slightly larger friction back for a little more tension. Very comfortable. Btw, mine are K SI1's.
IMO, martini settings are much easier to clean compared to basket settings.

40thGal

Rough_Rock
Q

Queenie60

SirDiamondGod|1461081684|4021154 said:
Once the stone is set in the ears, you won't be able to tell the difference between a F color and a G/H color. These colors can only be easily told apart in the shade card when the stones are not set. Same goes for the clarity, as long as their are invisible to the naked eye. My honest suggestion would be to contact a diamond wholesaler, they usually can guide you on the best individual factors and ofcourse get the lowest price possible :think: :think: :think:

Sorry OP - I do not mean to hijack your thread however, I have a question for SirDiamondGod.

SirDiamondGod - you continue to mention "wholesalers" on all of your posts. Exactly who are you referring to? PS has a list of approved vendors that all of us are quite comfortable using for our purchases. Just curious :confused:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go with the first pair for sure. I wouldn't even be particularly concerned about an SI1 for earrings, but ask to make sure the inclusion doesn't affect brilliance or light return.

BTW I prefer friction backs both because screw backs are uncomfortable going in (for me) and because I prefer to remove my earrings at night. I have a pair of WF earrings (8-prong martini) which I love, but I did swap out the friction back clutches for a pair my local jeweler sold me that feels just a bit more secure.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SirDiamondGod|1461085295|4021207 said:
Queenie60|1461084449|4021193 said:
Once the stone is set in the ears, you won't be able to tell the difference between a F color and a G/H color. These colors can only be easily told apart in the shade card when the stones are not set. Same goes for the clarity, as long as their are invisible to the naked eye. My honest suggestion would be to contact a diamond wholesaler, they usually can guide you on the best individual factors and ofcourse get the lowest price possible :think: :think: :think:

Sorry OP - I do not mean to hijack your thread however, I have a question for SirDiamondGod.

SirDiamondGod - you continue to mention "wholesalers" on all of your posts. Exactly who are you referring to? PS has a list of approved vendors that all of us are quite comfortable using for our purchases. Just curious :confused:

I'm referring to De Beers Sightholders and other family diamond businesses that are supplying the "approved vendors". Just for your knowledge, most of these online websites do not even own the diamonds they advertise. When there is a sale on the website, the "wholesale" family businesses will ship the stones and the online websites will take a margin.

This is just the structure of our industry. You know the retailer jewelry shops on 5th Avenue in New York City in the diamond industry, its the quiet offices on top in the buildings where the real action takes place.

Take a look at this book, its gives a good introduction to the real diamond business and industry. Its a really good read.
http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100784940

You might want to spend a little more time on Pricescope before responding so "authoritatively." While there are PS vendors work primarily on a drop-ship basis, there are others that also maintain inventories of diamonds that are cut for them, to their specifications. The diamonds the OP is considering fall into that latter category. Others will call in diamonds and then provide additional analyses to help ensure that the customer gets a beautiful diamond. While this adds some cost, it's often worth it.

I am curious though - how would a retail customer work with a diamond wholesaler?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
SirDiamondGod|1461085295|4021207 said:
Queenie60|1461084449|4021193 said:

I'm referring to De Beers Sightholders and other family diamond businesses that are supplying the "approved vendors". Just for your knowledge, most of these online websites do not even own the diamonds they advertise. When there is a sale on the website, the "wholesale" family businesses will ship the stones and the online websites will take a margin.

This is just the structure of our industry. You know the retailer jewelry shops on 5th Avenue in New York City in the diamond industry, its the quiet offices on top in the buildings where the real action takes place.

Take a look at this book, its gives a good introduction to the real diamond business and industry. Its a really good read.
http://www.cornellpress.cornell.edu/book/?GCOI=80140100784940
SirDiamondGod,
While your screen name suggests that you have considerable confidence in your knowledge of the trade, it is a mistake to think that the entire diamond business revolves around upstairs operations in New York City. It's a big world out there, and one that is being revolutionized and modernized at a rapid pace. If you stick around the forum for a while you will learn some interesting things that you might not be aware of about a diamond business that has entered a new age.

Thank you for sharing the link to the book. That does indeed look like a very interesting read.

Q

Queenie60

Both pairs look nice - The first pair would be fine and they will save a bit of money. WF ACA stones are very sparkly and you will enjoy them. And as DS explained, they have a great trade up policy in the event you wish to upgrade in the future. Never "too perfect" when it comes to diamonds! Good luck deciding and don't forget to post pictures when you receive them. And ear shots too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results