shape
carat
color
clarity

Too Orange???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been planning our bedroom redo... and came accross this picture of a bedrrom...

DF isn''t sure he likes it.

Of course I could do it in sage instead.. but I''m digging the orange.

Thoughts?

sec902_aft_etangerine.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I already commented on your other thread...but anyways... I was too having these same feelings when I decided to paint my bedroom orange. Overall though, I''ve been really happy with the color. I get compliments on it all the time, and I like the general "feeling" of the room. It feels rich and luxurious and I think the color is bold and unusual without being weird. Good luck in your decision!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Since I''m an Interior Design student I''ll tell you what i think... :)

If he doesn''t like that much orange, break it up. Maybe paint just a feature wall in orange (like behind your bed), and tone the rest down with rich browns, warm beiges, and crisp whites. Add another accent color to break it up further, like rye grass-green accent pillows, saturated yellow and/or red accents.

If you had pictures of your bedroom, I could draw you a plan pretty quickly.

:)

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love love love orange, and like the direction your room is going. I really like curiopotter''s suggestion of another accent color, too.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
i like curio's suggestion of an accent wall (aka behind the bed) being orange and then you can use accent pieces in shades of orange for areas of the room to spice it up. something like a chocolate brown with that orange (it looks more like an orangey-terracotta, not ORANGE) would be amazing...if you did an antique white for the walls, then the orange wall and then chocolate brown accents as in frames, the duvet cover with some textured lush pillows, and some orange accent pieces like ribbed vases or similar could be kinda fun. and i agree adding green elements like some plants or similar would also add to the ambiance. it's kind of like a really exotic color scheme...but it can be done elegantly as well.

imo when you paint an entire room one color then you have to really LOVE that color, both of you. or else it might be too overwhelming.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/bedroom-decorating-help-please.60171/ Is my other thread. I''m going to use Ivory and Green as an accents.

The bed I want is a Four Poster Pencil Post Bed. I''m going to get two three drawer unfinished chests and finish them to match.

My Bed is huge. King. Euro Pilllow Top SF that takes up ALL of the smallish room. I have three feet on either side of the bed. And 5 feet in front of it. That''s IT. The bed faces the wall to wall closet. Fortunately the closet is huge and I have a good plan on maximizing it cause I have no room for a dresser in the room.

The carpet is the same color as the bedroom above and we have 9 foot ceilings.

I was actually thinking of doing The two side walls orange. Leaving the wall the bed is on as cream... and doing an orange drape off the canopy behind the headboard.

I''ve got a huge red=orange poppy vase ful of lovely siks and great lamp bases with golden shades. As well as a fall watercolor in ornages reds and greens, with black and cream for the wall on the right of the bed. The wall on the left has a sliding glass door and a small window I''m going to cover with orange drapery to make it go away into the paint so that that room becomes more balanced.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Duvet (Matching Shams aren't pictured) I'm thinking about getting. No bedskirt. Cream sheets. Cream and Orange throw pillows. Green and cream and orange throw pillows too (I'll probably sew them).

B000BIXTCC.16._SCLZZZZZZZ_SS384_.jpg

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn''t suggest a four poster bed, just because of the size of room you''re describing. The four posters usually make the room look much much smaller, and distract from the other elements in the room. That headboard from west elm is pretty.. I''d recommend them to you, but I have too many colleauges that work there who say the furniture quality isn''t great.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm open to bed suggestions. Nothing with a footboard that comes up higher than the mattress ... so no sleigh beds. And no platform beds... shin issues.

ETA: I REALLY love the 4 Pencil Post bed though,and we are moving in a year to a bigger place. So, I am leaning toward the Pencil Post. It's delicate for a 4 poster bed.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
If you''ve got any pictures of that bed it post ''em.

Since you''re moving into a new place soon then go for it.. I wouldn''t suggest it if you were going to stay there for any long length of time. The space issue will drive you insane, especially with a king.

I was going to suggest just getting a headboard and mounting it to the wall, but if you''re moving and you really want the bed to carry over to your new house, getting it would be okay.

I''ll jot down some ideas tomorrow and hopefully get those to you by the end of the day. No window behind the bed, right? Just three feet of clearance between the wall and the bed.. no dressers, but you need night stands. You also have a painting you like.

:) I''ll see what i can doodle.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You could make the orange more pumpkin ish, and add in cream and dark brown and green accents, very fall and warm. I would stay away from bright orange...and I agree one wall, like behind the bed or something, could be a neat focal point...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy. I saw this bedroom make-over on HGTV. I really love the color - it''s so vibrant and rich. Ths show was great and the people seemed really happy.

I think the amount of orange you see depends on how bright and sunny the room is. If the room has a northern exposure and not a ton of light, the orange will be subdue. However, if it''s a bright room, it may be better to use an understated sage green or shades of taupe and then accent in orange.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Gypsy,

What's on the wall to the left and right of the bed? And do you have a fan?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 8:19:27 AM
Author: diamondfan
You could make the orange more pumpkin ish, and add in cream and dark brown and green accents, very fall and warm. I would stay away from bright orange...and I agree one wall, like behind the bed or something, could be a neat focal point...
Love this idea. Hubby and I are decorating the house in Nantucket, and let''s just say it''s been lots of fun!!! NOT!!!
11.gif
20.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wall on Left is 3/4 wall (The door is there) the wall on right has a large sliding glass door out to one of the patios and a small window at the top of the wall. Very weird little window, but its up really high. starts 5.5 feet up the wall. So that wall has about 5 feet of wall space. ETA: CURIO-- THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!

Love the idea DF!!! Room (whole place) gets great light... but in the bedroom we keep the sliding glass doors covered so it's usually a bit darker in there.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
What I think makes this room pop (and I am also diggin this orange) is the lighting they used. Just right light can tone down the feeling and soften the whole look.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Are you getting just the four poster bed, or the one with a canopy? or the one that''s very modern and simple with four peices of wood connecting the pencil posts?

You mentioned something about a canopy earlier... just want to get the drawing correct.

Also how big is that window on the right? Is the window adjacent to the wall your headboard will be on, or is the door adjacent and the window further out?

From what I understood, I drew a sliding door five feet out from the right wall. A small window 5.5 feet from the floor on the right wall.

Is the small window on the left hand side of the right wall, or the right hand side of the right wall?

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/4/2007 8:19:27 AM
Author: diamondfan
This is my favorite suggestion, I think it''d look great with some hunter green and brown. It''d be a great retreat. I think this clay-ey orange is superb. Maybe you could fit a huge fern (a la nate from oprah) in there, too....or not.
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it; I wish my orange turned out like that! I want to do blue now.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi Curio... I tried to represent the room in this picture... THANK YOU AGAIN for your help, I really appreciate it! I forgot to draw in the closet... but it basically takes up the entire wall opposite the bed.

GypsyBedroom1.JPG

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Alright.. So I''ve got some of the color done, but here''s the preliminary sketch...

I''ll post the color tomorrow.

The circles in the back are mirrors..

gypsy_room1.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, truly. Thank you. You have GREAT drawing skills, I''m totally in awe!

I would ADORE a chandelier in my bedroom, and had one in our own house in NJ... but this place doesn''t have any way to accommodate that. I have to do it all with lamps.

The mirrored back wall is very interesting and would add light to the space. FI honestly, won''t go for it as it will be too busy for him, though. And the wall of pictures is great, but again, FI is a minimalist. LOL, it''s his room too so there are compromises to be made.

I would keep it to the two pieces on the back wall. Or maybe one larger mirror back there. And the one painting on the wall there. For interest, what do you think of doing a darker color on the bottom, and a lighter color on top, like a chair rail... but with paint.. like a black line dividing the two.

Canopy is optional. I''m not sold on it as I like the four posts without and I think the canopy would make it look heavier. You captured the bed very closely actually. the posts are geometric just like that. The footboard is low slung, and it''s all very simple and clean.

I could try to sell the picture wall though, and integrate mirrors like the 3 Malm Ikea mirrors I have asymmetrically into the design with the Georgetown picture the largest picture... I really do like the picture wall, but be worth going to bat for it.

I love your ideas so far, and I''m SO grateful for your time and ideas!! THANK YOU!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow you are an artist.

You''ve really captured the bed... although the canopy isn''t as delicate which is why I''m not sold on getting it, am afraid it would make it too heavy. It would be perfect if it was like you''ve drawn.

I don''t think I can sell my minimalist of the polka dot mirrors on the wall... but will go to bat for the picture wall. I have three Ikea Malm mirrors that would work with that asymmetrically scattered. Plus one black square mirror that is crocodile skin finished on the frame that is really awesome so that''s nice too. A couple of other paintings framed in cream and one more in red-gold I would be set.

I love the nightstands... now where can I get those??? LOL.

I ADORE the chandelier, and had one in our house in NJ... but this place doesn''t allow for lighting other than lamps. So I''m stuck there, unfortunately.

I REALLY appreciate your time and ideas curio... thank so much for all your help! This is much more fun with help. I really hit a complete block when it came to the bedroom.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Well I''m glad you liked the features.. I drew this space with all of these ideas so you could pull what you liked from the room.

These of course are just ideas of ways to maximize space in the room. The mirrors behind the bed could be omitted, or could be something else. The layered picture wall is a way to make the space appear larger, as well as the mirrors on the back wall. I put a valence on the right wall all the way accross. That way you could hide the awkward window, and have privacy at night with the doors. During the day you can draw the shades back to expose the sunlight.

I did think of putting in chair rail, so I drew it in.. and thought about putting two different colors to break up the space.

As for the nightstands? LoL I''ve seen nightstands similar to those...http://www.haikudesigns.com/relax-bed.htm
but again, they were just an idea of what the space "could" be. If your nighstands fit, you could definitely use those.

On the canopy behind the bed, I decided to put some decorative curtains, maybe use some thin stripes on those to pick up the other colors in your bedding.

Canopies are pretty, but unless you have a bigger room with taller ceilings, they can seem really misplaced. If you decided against the canopy, just get a long curtain rod from a bedding store, and place it behind the wall and draw the curtains to the sides of the bed.

For smaller spaces like yours, use larger peices of interest. Chunky pottery, thick frames, bold and bright accents. You can tone them down with more delicate peices like those beaded wall sconces, or even a chandelier.

Anyhoo, I''ll try to post the color choices tomorrow, and maybe you can get some more inspiration from that :)

I''m glad this is helping..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a techinical question... then I have run to bed as I have a really early day tomorrow.

Our bed without the comforter is 27 inches high, as measured last night... how low or high should the nightstands be??? Another nightstand I like is actually a small chest at 31 inches high... and I''m wondering if that''s going to be bad, and if I should stick to something around 26-25 inches. What do you think?

I was thinking I could get away with sconces... it would mean runing the wire right on the wall and painting it the color of the wall color but I think it would be a great thing to do as one of my three cats has a bad habit of knocking our lamps over and hitting DF in the head with it. Sconces are functional and really nice. I''m going to ebay scope for some that might work tomorrow. I can always replace the crystals... OH... I have great real crystal garland for my holiday decorating... its clear so I could pull that out and use it in the bedroom... year round use of what was an expensive indulgence.

This is REALLLY REALLLY helping. THANK YOU AGAIN!

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Buying nightstands really depends on your bed. I think 31" would a fine height for a bed that''s 27" high. That''s about the height on our bed, and the nightstands as well. Nighstands should be within 3-5 inches (taller or shorter) from the top of your matress. It makes reaching for things a lot easier.

As for the sconces, yes, you can run the wire along the wall and plug them in underneath ur bed. I have two sconces from ikea, and I just bought wire clips for the wall, hammered them in gently, and painted over.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
oh I forgot to mention...

Potterybarn has something called a ceiling mount fixture. I''m sure there are other brands, but I just happen to remember theirs. Anyway, you mount these bars on the ceiling to create a faux canopy above your bed. Since the bed you like doesn''t have the delicate canopy, you can always get three of these, and create your own canopy. here''s the link: http://www.potterybarn.com/products/p7404/toolbox.cfm?cm_lid=32&pgid=p7404&tool=vAlt

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I really should be in bed... but what do you think of these???

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=39848-82850-37170&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=168309-76223-P1815/1B&lpage=none

They are inofenssive and afordable which is a bonus... but I''m not in love. I would prefer something with a strong ivory presence.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I think they''re on the right track, but you should really find some that are open at the bottom, or open like the candleabra style I had. You need more mood down-lighting for reading or laying in bed if you''re going to omit the table lamps alltogether. Also I think you should get one that''s more of a V style. I was also thinking of something with a little more whimsy that will pop against the orange.

Also, make sure the ones you pick will plug into a normal wall. Otherwise you''ll have to get an electritian to come and install them.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Alright Gypsy.. These colors are kinda temporary. I haven''t had time to find some good colors for you, but this is all done on the computer so they''re interchangable. I was thinking you could do some really nice curtians like these....

gypsy_room2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results