shape
carat
color
clarity

Too Much Fluorescence?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
Does flourescence affect the value of a diamond? How can you tell if your diamond has a lot or not without the report? Just wondering, because we were out at a nightclub on the weekend and my stone glows!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamonds are discounted due to fluorescence.
a nightclub is not an ideal grading environment to determine exact levels of fluor. except to say that obviously yours has at least some!
2.gif
enjoy it
1.gif

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Ah yes, "Boogielight."
31.gif

As Belle said, diamonds have traditionally been discounted for some level of fluorescence but it is harmless and the presence of blue fluorescence may even raise a diamond’s apparent color. Some people are fluoro-fans and actively seek this quality.

For new readers, fluorescence is just trace elements of nitrogen, boron, hydrogen or other sybmicroscopic defects in crystal structure that become visible under UV light. In rare circumstances a diamond with “strong fluorescence” may appear oily or milky. Soulsis, since yours was not identified as having fluorescence I'd think this is not the case. Unless you can see hints of fluorescence in the sunlight (where UV is also present) you will rarely note the effects outside of the nightclub.

Just curious - which lab did the grading report?

ETA: More than one kind of trace element can cause of fluoro. Thanks CB!

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
I am still awaiting the report from my jeweler. I suspect it has a medium fluor. because in the sunshine it has a light blue tint. It is supposed to be a F colour though. I have never had a diamond with it and it doesn''t really bother me.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have an E with medium blue fluorescence and I love it. I actually prefer it!!!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
From what I hear, fluorescence can be lots of fun...I would be JAZZED if I could find a big J that had some med blue fluor with my next stone!!

jewelgirl

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE Flouro stones. I had an I or my prev stone with med blue flouro and it was so pretty. Not to mention, as you already know, fun in nightclubs :)

I am currently looking for a stone that has at least med flouro in it, but I believe the secret is out and it is slim pickins...esp for a lesser color grade like a J or an I. BTW, I have never seen a higher color grade stone even with strong flouro that looked milky or oily like is mentioned in discussions of flouro sometimes. I am sure it happens, but I think it might be the exception rather than the rule.

If you have it...ENJOY it!

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/12/2005 1:21:23 PM
Author: Mara
From what I hear, fluorescence can be lots of fun...I would be JAZZED if I could find a big J that had some med blue fluor with my next stone!!
I''m with you, Mara! I (think I) would have loved it if my new 2.36 had fluorescence! I''ve never had a stone with it, but it sounds so cool and fun. Maybe next time. Oh wait... there will be no further upgrades. There will be no further upgrades. There will be no further upgrades...
2.gif

Lynn

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results