shape
carat
color
clarity

too good to be true?

Flowering Dee

Rough_Rock
I found a vintage diamond ring posted on Ebay. (I only use the site to look, but in the 3 years I've been buying jewelry, I've only bought from them one time, without a problem.) This ring caught my eye because the main diamond, .50 pts., Old European Round, stated color E and clarity VVS1, cut excellent! I've bought more than several diamond rings in the past recent years, but, never even saw stats like those. The ring was 14K yellow gold, with a halo around this center diamond, with tiny, pave-like diamonds going down the shank. He was asking $1,300; and to make an offer; that also caught my eye.
(He had no papers.) I did ask something like, "the only reason I'd be buying this ring is because of those diamond stats. And, what kind of proof or protection, he could offer me, to guarantee the diamond was what he said it was. All he said was that his jeweler did the appraisal. Not good enough for me, of course. Should I pursue this in any way, ie: how to obtain a guarantee? or "let it go," and assume that the deal was, "too good to be true."

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Photos? Link to the listing?
However, I do not believe GIA provides a cut grade to Old Europeans due to the fact that these stones were never designed to conform to the standards of modern cuts, hence they would only receive a Fair or Poor cut grade per the current cut system. I do not know if other labs assign a cut grade to Old Europeans and, unless AGS does, I wouldn't give it any merit. So I'm not sure where the excellent is coming from, unless that was per the appraiser and he/she is familiar with the old cuts and gave it an evaluation based on it possessing the criteria required to meet the GIA classification as being an OEC.
With all that said, if it is truly an E color and VVS1 clarity, that is a find in and of itself as, sadly, so many of the highest quality of the antique cuts were recut into modern stones. Especially if he is willing to have you make an offer, you could get a good deal if it is, in fact, what it is being advertised to be (or close to).

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a vintage diamond ring posted on Ebay. (I only use the site to look, but in the 3 years I've been buying jewelry, I've only bought from them one time, without a problem.) This ring caught my eye because the main diamond, .50 pts., Old European Round, stated color E and clarity VVS1, cut excellent! I've bought more than several diamond rings in the past recent years, but, never even saw stats like those. The ring was 14K yellow gold, with a halo around this center diamond, with tiny, pave-like diamonds going down the shank. He was asking $1,300; and to make an offer; that also caught my eye.
(He had no papers.) I did ask something like, "the only reason I'd be buying this ring is because of those diamond stats. And, what kind of proof or protection, he could offer me, to guarantee the diamond was what he said it was. All he said was that his jeweler did the appraisal. Not good enough for me, of course. Should I pursue this in any way, ie: how to obtain a guarantee? or "let it go," and assume that the deal was, "too good to be true."

You could ask but probably the seller would not sell contingent on you getting a grading report for the center stone. That's what I first would do, that if you get a grading report and * many off then you can return the ring.
What is more realistic, is asking what the return period, and getting an independent appraiser to examine the stone and ring before the time period. It still would require some legwork and money on your part, but still might be worth it if you like the ring.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
You could ask but probably the seller would not sell contingent on you getting a grading report for the center stone. That's what I first would do, that if you get a grading report and * many off then you can return the ring.
What is more realistic, is asking what the return period, and getting an independent appraiser to examine the stone and ring before the time period. It still would require some legwork and money on your part, but still might be worth it if you like the ring.
Definitely agree in theory on the grading report, but there is not way a seller is going to offer a contingency period and liability with regard to removing the stone as well as the time for it to be graded by GIA. The fees for the grading and the unset and remount would get to a point that make the stone much more costly, so not sure if worth it at that point unless there is some specific need for that particular stone/ring.
I DO think that requesting a contingency period based on an independent appraiser of the purchaser's choosing to be allowed. But, again, there will be a cost to it but most certainly a fraction of the other route which really isn't realistic. But you are still looking at probably $100 depending on what city you live in.
If the purchaser has faith that the appraisal report provided (would request seeing before buying) is legitimate, and she loves the ring, and has done some homework on sites that sell OECs and determines it is a good deal, even if the color and clarity are not as high as stated, then I say go for it!
Would love to see photos!!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you cant live without those stats then let it go.

Most people dont expect old stones (OECs) to be perfect. Lots have flea bites and other little flaws going on. Its the nature of being old and loved (worn).

If you really like the look of the ring then you should reconsider. The price seems like it is quite good for what it is.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
If you cant live without those stats then let it go.

Most people dont expect old stones (OECs) to be perfect. Lots have flea bites and other little flaws going on. Its the nature of being old and loved (worn).

If you really like the look of the ring then you should reconsider. The price seems like it is quite good for what it is.
I agree! Even if the appraiser's eval was a couple grades off on color and clarity, you are still way up there in those categories. Also, you need to keep in mind that these stones were cut 100 and more years ago and that, in and of itself, is part of the charm of the old cuts.
PLEASE show us photos!!!

Flowering Dee

Rough_Rock
you all had such good insight and ideas. I'm not that savvy. I will send photos; However, I did suggest making an offer/ buying it, with the "understanding" that I could bring the ring to GIA, putting a rush on it ($80), and knowing, and telling him that he'd have to be willing to trust me, since the stone would have to be removed for the appraisal. He never got back to me. His silence, not even a better suggestion from him -- just silence; I saw as a negative sign. I wasn't asking for anything ridiculous, but I don't like doing business with someone who doesn't have the courtesy to even say, "no thanks."

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
you all had such good insight and ideas. I'm not that savvy. I will send photos; However, I did suggest making an offer/ buying it, with the "understanding" that I could bring the ring to GIA, putting a rush on it ($80), and knowing, and telling him that he'd have to be willing to trust me, since the stone would have to be removed for the appraisal. He never got back to me. His silence, not even a better suggestion from him -- just silence; I saw as a negative sign. I wasn't asking for anything ridiculous, but I don't like doing business with someone who doesn't have the courtesy to even say, "no thanks."

While I agree that, as a buyer, you have done your part to make sure you are getting what is advertised, as a seller, it is a lot for a buyer to ask. I mean, you’re asking the person to trust you while you have the stone removed (and I assume reset) by someone the seller doesn’t know ...and in the meantime, there is probably a buyer that will take it as is.

Just my two cents.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
While I agree that, as a buyer, you have done your part to make sure you are getting what is advertised, as a seller, it is a lot for a buyer to ask. I mean, you’re asking the person to trust you while you have the stone removed (and I assume reset) by someone the seller doesn’t know ...and in the meantime, there is probably a buyer that will take it as is.

Just my two cents.
I was LITERALLY about to write this exact same sentiment! Kmoro is spot on. It just isn't worth it to the buyer. We aren't talking about a stone worth thousands of dollars. Please send us the link. I don't think you should be turned off if you have significant interest in the ring. Is there a return policy at all? If there is, that's really all you need. It honestly isn't worth having it sent to GIA. If you want to get the opinion of another appraiser, that should be sufficient. As I said, even if the other appraiser, if he/she is legitimate, was a bit generous on the grading, I doubt it would be more than 2 grades off so, as I said previously, so what if it is a F color, VS1... that's still an AMAZING stone, and quite the find for an OEC. Please forward us the link so we can advise you better.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results